• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

of the valkyries - beqanna fairy, please
    this will never end, ‘cause i want more, more, give me more

The truth is that Lagertha isn’t that old. Exercise and training keep her strong, but it is that selfsame exercise and training that makes her ache and sore like she never has before. Where once she once bounced out of bed with energy, she now crawls. Hers is to be a life of ‘hard’ labor for the Jungle, a life she chose willingly - a life she does not want to change.

Lagertha took the leap before, asking Brunhild and the Jungle to grant her Immortality, knowing in part exactly what it would mean, and willing to pay the price. Now that she has to beg for it again, the commitment is just as serious.

Unsure of what else to do, the warrior woman heads for an empty area of the Meadow (she doesn’t mind being around others, but this seems private, somehow). The horns on her head have begun to sprout even higher, but it is an odd sort of change. She might be just as intimidating now as when she had her tattoos, but at least with those, she’d knew the affect she had on others. Now? Now it was a whole new ball game. In what seems to be a suitable place, she pauses and looks around. Lagertha is neither scared nor nervous… simply unsure of how to begin. She’s never summonned requested a fairy’s presence before. She clears her throat half calls out, half speaks normally into the empty air.

“If there’s a fairy… or spirit? Around, I’d like to talk to you about something. Please.”

And then the gray mare settles in to wait, hoping she isn’t going to look like the crazy General talking to herself in the middle of the Meadow. Though it would probably be fitting, given her heritage.

lagertha
    carnage x grim reaper; amazonian general
    I quite like that last thought, and so I appear to the Amazonian in the most fitting way.

She will see me – barely – but to any passersby the grey mare will be talking only to the empty air in front of her.

I look equine for her only because she is a horse herself. To the trees I am flora, to the earth I am stone. There is nothing more substantive to my figure than shimmering air, and shadows that might be wings – or even clouds. --Hello Lagertha--, she will hear, a voice just barely outside her soft ears. --I like the horns--, I add as a too-warm for fall breeze brushes against her forehead. --And new wings too? My my.-- A cooler touch, soft against the fledging appendages. --What would you like to talk about?--
    This is her first personal interaction with the Fairy. While she got the impression that whatever had caused Beqanna to do whatever… it… did was out of frustration, all she feels is a sense of ease and calm around this spirit. A voice whispers in her ear, and if Lagertha were the type to blush, she would probably do so. “Thank you. I know… it seems a bit overboard. I am looking for someone to pass the wings on to. Just trying to protect the Jungle…” The General pauses, trying to collect her thoughts. “I have dedicated and continue to dedicate my life to my sisters and my Kingdom. I had asked Brunhild for Immortality, so I could serve for as long as they need me and as long as I can. I’d like to ask for that responsibility back.”

What she does not say is - it gives me purpose - and - I have nothing else.

She has never been so humble before. 
    Nothing needs to be said for him to understand. He knows everything about her, from the first thing her eyes had ever seen to the last image that will rush through her mind before she finally passes on. And pass on she will, someday. Everything ends, everything but Beqanna.

The minor embarrassment, the pause for clarity. He understands.

When she names a queen he recognizes the word for what it is, but Brunhild is no more important to him than the least of all herd mares. They are equally in their anonymity. This one, this Brunhild though. She had used him, funneled through his daughter Amazon. He does not mind being used, it is his purpose, but he only wants it to be equal. Everything is equal.

---It is overboard--- he replies after a brief pause. ---You are only one woman Lagertha. You are not an army on your own. Find someone else, let her learn the art of battling the wind on her own. Then you will be ready to serve your kingdom as an immortal--- And then, knowing that she has asked everything of him that he is willing to give, he disappears.

[the max number of kingdom granted traits that a single character can have is two. Lagertha can choose to keep her wings and horn (but will not get immortality), or she can gain immortality when she gives up either the position of general (and hence the horns), or the wings (by giving them to an army member other than herself)]