• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    [open]  i'll burn it down; Rey & Any
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    He was going to return first to Nerine, rather than the new island, because the lands the fae has brought back were supposed to be safe; Breckin had sent some of her people to Icicle Isle, and though she was concerned about the weather, she hadn’t seemed concerned about the land itself. However, even as he starts to reach for the feeling of the familiar coast and cliffs of Nerine, something else tugs at the edges of his consciousness – perhaps it is the emotions running high in Leilan, someone he still half keeps tabs on, because the boy hasn’t been away from Ischia for long, and Brennen still feels some sort of loyalty and protectiveness towards him (he’s also the son of his longtime friend and new lover, complicating matters further). Perhaps it’s the cold and the ice – it feels much like the Tundra, to his heightened senses.

Whatever it is, it redirects him mid-teleport, and though this is one thing he has practiced extensively and he usually makes no makes, he stumbles for just the briefest hair of a second on landing; so brief probably none of them saw, but enough to make him blink in surprise as he straightens and takes in the very combative group arrayed across the wintery landscape. Some familiar faces, many strangers; Brennen steps forward to stand beside Leilan, his dark wings folded tightly against his sides. He’s never been much to look at, on the surface, but in this case he hopes his reputation proceeds him. It would be tedious, to have to waste time proving his abilities – as a magician, or as a warrior.

Brennen doesn’t have to make eye contact with Leilan, trusting that his solid stance beside the roan conveys his own intentions. He does lift his eyes across the group to attempt to make eye contact with Castile; he remembers the dragon man from the Alliance, and has no wish to add something with that volatility to the current situation. Perhaps a steady gaze, a calm gaze, will help him manage his monsters. Perhaps not. The more pressing issue is the magic he can feel in the air, the fear swirling around them. He can feel that it is not their own – it is from without, pushing in. Brennen frowns briefly, and then reaches out to the water surrounding the island for the power to shield the friendlies.

Envisioning it as bubbles surrounding them, he first reaches for Leilan beside him, and Castile across the way. Then, a few breaths later, he adds Heartfire (recognizing her as a relation of Leilan’s) and the baby. Almost as an afterthought, he reaches for Dovev, an unknown but not overtly antagonistic. He’s unpracticed in this, and it might be a stretch of his raw magic without practice to guide him, but he believes he can shield them from outside influence. “Only an idiot would share half an island with a group of hostile invaders.” He says into the silence that follows the mare’s suggestion. “Furthermore, Nerine doesn’t share. I believe first claim to this land was made by another, and backed up by Nerine. I’d suggest you find your…misguided safe place elsewhere.” By now they must all feel it – there is so much magic in the air here, but they are limited in a way he simply isn’t. And grand, violent destruction would be so much easier than this careful magic he is trying to do now. Almost a relief. “Anyway, if you paid half so much attention to the fae as you did to your own powerhungry bigotry, you’d know nobody can catch the plague here. Not even if the infected choose to seek haven here.”

Which is good, really, since he is one of the infected. He shows no symptoms yet, it’s too early, but hopefully he will realize before he tries to go to Nerine, where the people are not safe.
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

*Bren is using his magic to try and protect Leilan, Castile, Heartfire, Briella, and Dovev from any malicious magics including the fear induction

Messages In This Thread
    i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Phasus - 11-02-2018, 09:39 PM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Oxytocin - 11-03-2018, 12:08 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by bruise - 11-03-2018, 12:52 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Leilan - 11-03-2018, 04:07 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Castile - 11-03-2018, 09:57 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Phasus - 11-03-2018, 12:55 PM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Oxytocin - 11-03-2018, 10:43 PM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by bruise - 11-04-2018, 01:17 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Briella - 11-04-2018, 01:48 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Leilan - 11-04-2018, 07:23 AM
    RE: i'll burn it down; Rey & Any - by Rey - 11-04-2018, 12:37 PM