• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  all of history collapsing in its wake; kagerus
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

He mentions wanting to hear more, and I offer smile, demurring with a slight drop of my eyes. "Perhaps another time, Magnus." But he accepts my invitation to tell me of himself, and as he cracks a careful joke - as careful as one can be when it comes to life, death, and existentialism - I return my eyes to his, hoping that he would not begrudge me this quiet rejection. Although we are moving on from what happened, I know that he will understand that this is all I am willing to share right now.

I put these thoughts to the side as he begins spinning his tale, trying to imagine now just what a hundred years might feel like. I'm a fifth of the way there - but even considering this fact is daunting, and I decide to just listen instead of worrying myself still with silly existential dread.

He speaks of being born of a different Amazonian Queen, one I don't recognize but who sounds entirely worthy of the position and the respect that comes with it, even these decades later. I also consider the triviality of the fact that he, too, had been drawn to the chamber - he ought to meet father, really, considering the similarities between them. Sons of an Amazon Queen, enamored with life in the Jungle, but pulled away to the Chamber by a male blood relative to serve in a high position there. It's uncanny almost, and the fact that they share the same coat colour; but when Magnus' story moves on to the Gates, the similarities end.

When he speaks of Joelle, I am reminded of my life with Solace; but as he finishes by eluding to a not-so-happy ending, the sweetness of my thoughts somewhat sours. I am terrified by what may come for my family and I, as if that were not self evident by the journey and sacrifice I've just made for my wife. The still-healing scar that splits my face in two aches at the thought; and it only lessens some when Magnus mentions being grateful.

"Luck is a vindictive bastard," I mutter, almost to myself. "I'm sorry that you had to feel her wrath."

Taking a shuddering inhale, I glance over my shoulder towards the mountain which holds the golden-white mare I call my heart. After hearing Magnus' tale - or rather, not hearing it, but understanding the nuances of its silence all the same - I yearn to be with her. Licking my lips and pressing them together somewhat anxiously, I turn to face the stallion once more, a somewhat urgent tone entering my voice.

"I have to be going now Magnus, but I appreciate getting to hear your story. Please feel free to explore Hyaline - my father would probably get a kick out of getting to meet Atrox's son all these years later." I take a step back, then pause with a stiff smile. "Until next time."

@[Magnus]
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    RE: all of history collapsing in its wake; kagerus - by Kagerus - 10-12-2018, 10:21 PM