• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

how time twines around your neck; any
    I have no gift here, it seems. Any attempt to spin emotion leaves me grasping at straw, little flecks of feeling that bleed away as soon as I touch them. The Afterworld is doing this, I realize: taking my gift and leaving me empty of everything but myself. This is not something I experience often and it is uncomfortable. The buzzing has returned, and flits along my bones as I watch him watch the horizon.

Wary, I think, recognizing the trait with intimate familiarity. There are few places I am not watchful, and it is clear from the catch of my breath that this world is not one of them. I can feel the thunder of my heart in my chest, the rising pressure of the world around us that is so still. Too still.

It almost seems to me coming closer.

I shiver, and turn to look behind me as the god speaks.

No one living would find you here, he says, as my nose brushes briefly against his when I turn back to face him. I think nothing of it – we are simply standing close – and instead try to understand his question. Do I like it? Do I like the way he hardens in front of me? Wistfulness replace with something far darker? Do I like being almost dead, or perhaps barely alive?

I recall, even in my flurry of thoughts, the warmth of his nose as I’d accidentally bumped against him.

"You’re alive. You would know where to find me." I say aloud, taking a bold step forward to feel the hard line of his shoulder and rigid neck. Not soft – but alive. "Do you like it?" Are the words between the buzzing, as I begin to pull away again. No good will come from standing too near any man – be he god or mortal.

"I would rather be entirely alive." I tell him, realizing that as I distance myself the heaviness around us creeps in more swiftly. My eyes find more grey on the horizon with each passing breath, but the rate slows the closer I stay to another living thing. Without realizing how close I have come to him, I return to myself to find I cling to his side like some frightened child holding a boulder for comfort. "Please take me home." I say in a small voice.

@[Elektrum]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: how time twines around your neck; any - by Lepis - 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM