• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

and when i breathed - nayl
    and when I breathed, my breath was lightning
    She should perhaps call the entire diplomatic caste together, but many have already been sent out and she too would be leaving for the Tundra shortly. Instead, she’d rather call them together when they have returned and find out what each one knows. It was easy to send her diplomats off on visits, and much more difficult to get them to report back to her. Did everyone struggle with that bit? She hoped so, because she hoped it wasn’t just her.

But before she goes to the Tundra, she does want to find Nayl. The girl made of ice to Scorch’s fire, dotted with others tattoos that Rhy does not know the significance of. She wishes she does, though. Wishes she had gotten a chance to know Kagerou and her own heritage here. Rayelle had spoken of it some, but Rayelle had mostly spent her time with Kora. Riagan spoke of the Falls, and Rhy knows the history of that land well. But it is not her land. It never will be. Rhy has always had electric in her veins, and where else could she find a place with so many so readily accepting of someone so deadly? The Valley, perhaps, but Rhy’s intentions were good and would not belong there.

It had always been the Jungle. Even as she grew up in the Dale, the Jungle called to her.

She wants to find Nayl first because if the girl wants to be a diplomat, she was going to learn to behave like one. And second, because the girl intrigues her, and she simply wants to know her slightly better. So she makes her way through the Jungle as a lion, relying on her rather useful nose in this form to track the girl down, wherever she might be.

rhy

the electric lioness of riagan and rayelle

character reference here  | character info here
    Burn my lungs and curse my eyes
    It is done.

Nayl peers down at the tattoos adorning her leg and shoulder. She doesn't need to see the markings on her face, chest, and neck to know that they are there; they're fresh and still tingle her skin when the Jungle stirs around her. A hum of pleasure runs through her as she stands alone amidst the emerald trees and shrubs. Her eyes, the splendid colors of autumn, drink in the familiar sights such as the macaws high in the canopy and the vines snaking through the trees.

This is her home.
    This is where she belongs.

Many looked down at her during the meeting to quietly express their disapproval of one so young dedicated to a kingdom. There was barely a childhood. With her mind closely wrapping its fist around the Jungle, Nayl only knew what she wanted then; and it's still what she wants now.

With some preening and polishing Nayl could achieve many, many things.

Alone and thoughtful Nayl withdraws herself from the crowds, but it isn't long until she is sought after. The whispered footfalls of her comrade dance with her swiveling ears until she turns to face the lioness. Her heart jumps, for she is still young, but her expression doesn't falter and betray her surprise. "A lion in the Jungle isn't very discreet," she murmurs in hopes that she isn't wrong about the feline being a shifter. "What is it you want with me?" Nayl's head lifts just a little higher as her gaze carefully sweeps over the lioness.

Nayl
    covet and myrina's creation
    Rhy didn’t have some claim to fame of being the fifth generation somewhere. Her grandmother had ruled here, yes, but all her children left to live elsewhere. Rodrik and Kavi because as boys, they couldn’t stay here. Not really, anyway. Rayelle both because she loved the sun and the Dale, and because she loved Riagan. Though Riagan would have lived in the Jungle for Rayelle. It wouldn’t have mattered. Her parents had followed each other for as long as they possibly could, until they followed one another into death.

She would know. That’s how she knows her parents now. In death. Though at least she knows they are together and happy. It’s more than she’s known most of her life. They left with Kora so long ago that Rhy barely knew them at all.

But there’s never been another place for Rhy, and whether she had any ties here or not would be irrelevant. She’ll serve the Jungle as best she can till her heart stops in her chest. And she can’t ask anymore than that of anyone, and she won’t ask more of herself. After all, an entire life dedicate to a kingdom seems like enough.

She shifts back after she finds the girl, though not with her usual smile on her face. Rhy is not unkind, but Nayl is not exactly the kind of child that inspires a polite and diplomatic smile. Or the joking smiles that Scorch and Rhy so often share. “I’m not trying to be discreet.” She says, and for a brief moment she does grin slightly. “The nose and the padded feet come in handy.”

It’s true. She’s found that particular form to be very useful. Fighting monsters halfway to the end of the world, having claws and teeth and the body of a predator was perhaps the best gift she could have asked for. “Do you talk to all your elder’s that way, or just me?”

She pauses, waiting for an answer. She may be kind and gentle more often than not, but she wasn’t about to roll over and be stepped on by a little girl who perhaps felt entitled. Entitlement was worthless. Hard work was the only thing that counted. Not that she thinks the girl won’t put in the work, but rather that she thinks there might be some sense of entitlement mixed in there. It’s only a guess, she certainly can’t know this for sure. Just something in the way the girl holds herself.

“If you’re going to serve as a diplomat for the Jungle, you’ll have to answer to me. At least for now. And I have a few rules I think you should learn.”

rhy

She spun the stars on her fingernails
    Entitlement. Yes, Nayl supposes she has a sense of that. It isn't only because of her blood, however, that she feels so determined to one day rule the Jungle. There's a simultaneous need to simply be better than everyone else. She will work hard and she will prove to them how fitting she is to be an Amazon. Although youth still holds her back to some degree Nayl refuses to let herself be hindered.

Little does she realize exactly how long she has to prove herself.

A brow lifts as she tries taking control of her muscles. She fights the initial flight or fight instinct as she looks into the eyes of the lioness. Her relief is a sigh as Rhy shifts and admits to her disinterest to be discreet. "Mission accomplished then," her ears swivel thoughtfully before she finds herself agreeing, "I can see how they would come in handy." But Nayl also considers the brute strength and claws that make the lioness more intimidating, more powerful. A fleeting moment finds her envious but then she turns her attention away from her weaknesses to instead her strengths - most in which she hasn't even discovered yet.

"It depends on the situation," a shrug ripples through her lean shoulders as the Jungle suddenly falls into a deathly silence around them. When she looks up Nayl can see the colorful birds and two monkeys. Their eyes meet hers briefly before looking away and feeling the tattoos burn against her skin. "When a lion is approaching me I won't have it in me to be polite and overly generous." Beneath her growing forelock Nayl's eyes narrow just slightly before widening to their norm once more. The stark orange against black is haunting almost. They regard Rhy hesitantly. She doesn't know her well enough to have the utmost respect (she came forward as a lion instead of a horse. Could that be cowardice?) but as a part of the sisterhood Nayl must find it in herself to at least be understanding and respectful.

How else will she gain favor?

"Of course," she replies sweetly, "tell me these rules." Underneath it all, she is actually eager to be looked upon as a sister and not a child.

Nayl
    Rhy has never sought the throne. It doesn’t matter to her what titles she holds, so long as she can serve the Amazons to the best of her ability, so long as she has Lagertha and Scorch and on the damn opposite side of Beqanna, Kratos. She needs nothing else, and finds herself lucky to know that her sister no longer runs screaming in the other direction from her. That she can find her parents, that she can return to them, even though they are dead. There was a brief moment in her life, when her parents and sister left her when she was barely a year, that Rhy had nothing. Truly nothing. Just stories of her history and the promise of the Jungle.

So many years later, Rhy has everything she could need. But damn if she didn’t earn it every step of the way. Though she thanked the Jungle for turning her into the mare she has become, and in return, she will give the land every breath she has left. Which should be a lot (even more now, considering the semi-immortality that comes with being part dead).

That said, she may not seek the throne, but should it fall her way one day she wouldn’t say no idea. It’s simply that, in the end, she doesn’t care if she serves the kingdom without any rank at all or with a crown on her head or something in between. As long as she gives it her all.

She also knows she is lucky too for the traits that course through her veins. The electric she was born with, the ability to turn into a predator at will given to her by the faeries. And now the ability to be dead, to visit the dead, and to do anything a ghost can do. Throwing rocks around with her mind is proving to be entertaining. Riding lightning across Beqanna is a fun little trick too.

She does know she is lucky. Lucky, and powerful, and she admits, a hint proud of herself at what she’s become. Proud because she knows her parents are too. Because Vanquish likes her enough to accept her and his son as the future. Proud because perhaps everyone deserves to be proud of what they have become.

Nayl should be proud as well. Proud that her age doesn’t stop her. Proud of her heritage. But not too proud, either. There’s a fine line, after all. One step over and it’s simply just a big head.

“If you see a lion in the Jungle, it’s a safe bet it’s me. I’ve never seen another here. Certainly not actual lions.” She grins slightly, her eyes sparkling with electric just a bit. She is mostly kind and generous and all business, but there’s a playful, joking side as well. Something Scorch sees quite a lot of, and doesn’t mind. Not many others see that part of Rhy though.

“Two to a diplomatic meeting. Perhaps three, inside the Jungle, but no more. It looks like we’re ganging up on whoever is coming otherwise. Not that we can’t, of course, but they don’t need to know that.” It’s no secret the Amazons is an active, strong kingdom. But to the extent they can keep the element of surprise in their back pocket, it can’t hurt them. “And you need to practice your diplomatic tone. Polite and friendly, but not overly so. There’s a line between being a good diplomat and a fake one. Most can tell the difference. And since you are still in the bottom ranks, you will defer to anyone higher than you in conversation. You may ask questions, but make sure they are appropriate. Otherwise, you listen.” Rhy doesn’t care about her age. After all, she had been a year old when she joined the peace caste. But she does care about learning. Rhy had spent her time learning, and now it was Nayl’s turn. One day, the black girl would be the one teaching.

rhy

She spun the stars on her fingernails
    A blow of air is pushed from her nostrils in slight exasperation. She is young and while part of her wants to abandon the conversation there is a greater part of her that wants to learn and to be accepted. This is her home; this is where she belongs. She cannot allow herself to fail where mother had. Nayl has ambitions while Myrina heavily depended on her birth-given right as a princess to succeed. It would give her a greater sense of pride if she had been borne into royalty immediately, but she knows that it flows heavily in her veins. How awful would it be to waste her potential?

A corner of Nayl's mouth lifts in a lopsided grin. "Duly noted." There are no lions, but there are tigers and jaguars and ocelots and many others that inhabit the humid Jungle. It will be a matter of learning them, but it shouldn't take long when she spends her days wandering the kingdom aimlessly.

Her head tilts slightly with Rhy's continuation, however, as she takes in the suggestions and information. It's thrown at her all at once and while she is capable of absorbing all of it, she can't help the questions that come to mind. "I'm frequently one the first to arrive to the scene so I feel as though I shouldn't be the only one receiving that tidbit about two or three meeting someone at the border." It isn't her fault that there are sisters slower to respond or that she is so quick and lithe to meet strangers. This is her home, her sanctuary. It will be a cold day in Hell when she turns her back to foreigners at the gate. No one can truly be trusted, especially those that aren't of the sisterhood. "Now, what are ways to climb the ranks?" She blurts after having acknowledged the use of tones in a conversation with a mere nod. Her eyes are settling on her own potential and what she can achieve. In no way does she plan to collect dust on the lowest totem while her sisters thrive around her.

Nayl
    If nothing else, Rhy can appreciate the girl’s drive. Though that’s probably about it. She wishes someone had been around to teach her. No one ever had. Rhy had fumbled and run amuck and eventually figured it out for herself. And honestly, Nayl was smart enough to eventually figure it out, but Rhy wanted to help her along the way, speed up the process a bit. Most of the peace caste was quiet and useless until someone or something monumental came around. Nayl was everywhere. She gives the girl credit where credit is due. However, Nayl also needed a bit of finesse.

Rhy laughs slightly at the comment that she isn’t the only one. “Don’t worry. You will not be the only one receiving the note.” It was a common problem, and she understands that sometimes Scorch and herself were the last to arrive. But they were also the ones who needed to be at most of those meetings. It wasn’t in bad form to politely bow out, once a horse has been greeting and others have come. Truthfully, she’d rather less of her diplomats be in the Jungle at one time, and more of them be out scouting for whatever information they could find.

Nayl’s next question is pointed, and Rhy doesn’t mind. Pointed is just fine. It’s obvious enough the girl has ambitions, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Eventually, Rhy and Lagertha and Scorch would need replacements. Not necessarily because any of them were likely to die, but because eventually it would be time for the new generation to take over. Eventually, they would need a break. The Jungle would need new ideas and fresh faces.

“The obvious recruiting and stealing. But knowledge is power. Learn what you can in the meadow, in kingdom gatherings. Anywhere you can go without arousing suspicion. The more we know about other kingdoms, the more we can prepare.” Whether that be to defeat or attack was an uncertain answer, but either way.   “I’d like to see you climb those ranks. I do think you deserve better than the bottom rung. Prove you can learn, and I’ll talk to Scorch.”

rhy