• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Stone Bird- Jah-Lilah
    She was excited, he could tell. He began to speak, though she screamed a warning , she turned and ran into the woods leaving him speechless. Krigare watched her nose around in the dirt, finally plopping herself into the needles she had laid out for them both. With a raised brow he reluctantly followed, settling himself down as well. 

"I'm ready."

She spoke, sending a rush to his head. He was to tell her about himself now. His 'story' as she had called it. 

"I dont remember much about my foalhood.."

The stallion began, weaving his way through his life. For ,thats what she had wanted. He told her of all the wonderful places he had been, rivers, mountains, plains, beaches. He whispered stories of the horses he had come upon. The friends he had made.

"I spent a lot of my time near the ocean. Something about the water I suppose."

Krigare smiled, he loved the sea! The salty tang int he air, hot sand that his hooves dug into , whitecaps that reached for the shore line. Sunsets that couldnt be seen anywhere else... It was amazing.

"Some part of me has just always lusted for the road.... To be able to see new sunrises every morning, and new sunsets every night! Thrilling really.."

When he finally finished spinning his story, he sat back and waited for what it was she would say. For there had to be something.
    [Image: krigare_by_voltum-dbctewi.png]
    So come out of your cave walking on your hands, and see the world hanging upside-down...

The words are like a drug to Jah-Lilah. They painted a picture as vivid as any movie on the big screen, and gave her something akin to a runner's high for athletes. Something about a person showing themselves to her and the way she was able to memorize and drink it in...She hardly blinked as he spoke. She was a student and he the teacher. As his head and jaw moved as he spoke, Jah-Lilah's eyes never left him. His words held a whole spectrum of emotions, and she loved it. Something's wrong with her, she can't help it. My bad. 

A different feeling sparked in him when he spoke of the ocean, of the water. The way he talked about it, Jah could almost smell the seaweed. He truly had loved something in his hard, rocky life. Noted, she thought. As the hours pass and she allows him to sing, she respectfully keeps quiet until he leans away from her and exhales. The finality of it signals the end of his tale. She is filled with mirth, questions overflowing inside her brain. She picks only one for now, tail almost wagging like a big reddish-brown dog. "So why do you stay here? I move around too, but clearly you keep Beqanna as your home for some reason." She reaches over and nudges him playfully as she asks, grinning all the while.

...You can understand dependence when you know the maker's heart.
    someday, we will foresee obstacles
    Krigare sucked in a breath, head tilting as she spoke. When she finished he reached out to bump her shoulder in turn.

" I stay because there is no where else for me to go. I have seen everything but this land, and when I see it all I will stay even then." 

He smiled at this , for even though he didnt plan on stopping his adventures, he at least knew where they would when. Though at what time he was still unsure. 

" Do tell me if you enjoyed my tale. For I have none left to tell you." 
    Once there was a way to get back homeward...

Jah-Lilah's mind is a whirlwind of questions and intrigue. She stretches like a dog, then rises. She comes closer to him, absently reaching out to begin grooming some of the muck and mire from his mane. She pulls at the burrs and leaves, taking her time as to not pull the hair out. As she works, she fires questions at him in swift succession. "Stands-Like-A-Stone! How did you come here? Do you have any kids? Where is your homeland?"

She awaits his answers anxiously, feigning patience. She hums a little song as she moves up his crest, working on the dark male's ebony mane. It is a tedious task, but one she's always enjoyed since her youth. Her mother taught her how to tangle and untangle things in hair. She was the one who began adding the feathers to my little bird's mane, so grooming was always a serene activity for Jah-Lilah.

...Once there was a way to get back home.
    The stallion didnt move as she began to work her way through the mess in his mane. He enjoyed it actually, the weight of the dirt within the tendrils slowly lifting. She asked questions as she worked, a chuckle escaping him at them.

" As one would go anywhere , Goose. I walked here. I became curious and  roamed, Beqanna is where I found myself." 

His heart wrenched at the next question, for he had a deep feeling that he had a child. Though he knew not where it was. 

" I do not." 

Krigare replied, smiling through the bitterness that surrounded children in his heart. And the questions kept coming!

" I am currently residing in Tephra. Though I have yet to decide if I shall stay there." 

His reply was truthful, the moons light shinning into his green hues as he spoke of the place. 

" And you , Goose? Do you have any children or a home?"
    Sleep little darling, do not cry...

She nods as she works her way up, accepting his responses but only believing two of them. The hesitation and the sadness in his voice when he talks about children, he wears it like a coat. She frowns, although he can't see it from where she's standing over him. She's reached the bridle path, right behind his ears. She goes from pulling knots to scratching roughly with her teeth. There's caked on dirt and she works hard to remove it from his seal fur. Plus, who doesn't love a good itch behind the ears? He turns the questions around on her and she answers quite pluckily.

"My home is everywhere. My home is the whole of the Earth. If you mean am I tied to one of your territories here in this realm, then no. I'm not good in staying in one place. I grow restless, anxious. I have to move around." At his other question, she smiles endearingly. "No, Stone. I don't have any kids either. I don't know that I'd be a very good mother, at least not yet. I have a lot of things I'm not ready to give up to be a mother. I have a lot of shortcomings too, and nobody should have to deal with that shit." She exhales gently, blowing his forelock.

...And I will sing a lullaby.
     The dark stallion leaned into her touch, his eyes drifting closed as she worked. He listened to her speak quietly, his ears pricked with interest.

" Everyone has short comings Goose." 

He smiled at the ground, holding very still so she could do what she wished to do to him. If he was properly staying in Tephra he would offer her a home, but like him she wanted to roam, and he wished not to take her from her road. 

" If you ever need a friend for the road, just let me know Goose." 
    Sleep little darling, do not cry...

She laughs, a singsong noise, and shakes her head. Everyone has short comings, he says. He is not wrong, but Jah-Lilah is selfish, and she knows it. She owns it wholly. "Yes, but mine are only for my benefit. I like to get high, I like to make love, I can't be still. What kind of life is that to share with anyone, let alone a baby? No, I don't think I'm ready for all that."

She lips gently at a twitching ear of his, then turns opposite of him. She circles twice like a dog, then settles down behind him. Her warm little body is pressed against his, and she rests her head on his hip. She continues grooming him, teeth making little marks in his coat, dust flying off as she takes her job with an uncharacteristic seriousness. She blurts out her next question brashly, my poor girl has no shame.

"Why have you not taken a mate, Stands-Like-A-Stone? I'm a vagabond, a free-lover, my circumstances don't allow me to...commit." She hesitates as she finds the words, but continues cleaning, speaking absently.

...And I will sing a lullaby.
    "There is no pressure to have kids. Live your life Goose. Have fun."

Krigare smiles, watching her for a moment.

She stands, moving away from him. He panics at this, though when she returns to lay beside him he relaxes. A smile twitched at his lips when she laid down , her head falling over his hip. He leans lightly against her, head lolling to the side slightly. Why havent you taken a mate? Krigare chuckled at this. 

"For the same reason as you Goose. I play too much."

He purred, stretching his legs out stiffly. The bones cracking in response to the movement after a long slumber. Her questions interested the dark stud, his ears flicking with each of her words. He had questions of his own for the crimson mare, though he would let her grow tired of asking her own before he shot them at her.
    Golden slumbers fill your eyes...

She grunts and shifts her weight, reaching for a spot near the dock of his tail. She considers the things he says to her, and takes them all in. He is less uptight and gruff as he would like to seem, she decides. His mindset is like that of the free-people. They were a plains-dwelling group, Jah-Lilah's very favorite she had ever traveled with. They danced with all the unique creatures in the world, and all were welcome at their bonfires. They had taught Jah-Lilah about healing, and magick. Jah-Lilah had loved a mare so deeply when she was with them. A beautiful cerulean siren, blue as clear-water, she moved and sashayed like no other. Every time they settled somewhere and Jah-Lilah began to sing, she'd be the first one on her feet. Their eyes had met that first night, and they'd been lovers and shoulder-friends ever since. They were inseparable. Jah felt herself drifting, and snapped back to reality, shaking the sorrow off. This daydream brought on new questions.

"Stone, have you ever loved a man? Or a woman? Were they here? Are they here now?" She peers around at him curiously, eyes alight with interest. She never could tell the line between polite conversation and meddling. 

...Smiles await you when you rise.