• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you think that we connect; raeg'n
    She grins at him, and there’s a feeling behind those amber eyes that he can’t quite put his hoof on. It makes him feel … happy … though. And warm. Like he’s found a place in the world somehow.

At his question she immediately speaks up, her eyes flickering with an intense, and almost infectious passion. “I bet you will.” And he means it sincerely. He can see the confidence in her eyes, hear the desire in her voice. From what little he’s come to know of her in these past few minutes, he knows she has the drive to make it happen. But a little twinge of jealousy colours his admiration for a moment. He’s never had that confidence, that surety of his own success - his own life is a rather anxious one. He can already tell that she will always be more than he could ever hope to be.

But part of him is just happy to have the chance to bask in her light.

She’s still speaking though, and his mixture of jealousy and awe quickly turns to confusion. “An Angel? What’s an Angel?” He’s never heard of such a thing in his life - Riva’s lessons have always been rather light on theology. But from her description, it sounds like being an Angel involves giving out a whole lot of responsibility. That said, it’s still a lot more than his mother had ever done for him. “She sounds a lot nicer than my mother.”

He’s quiet for a moment, pulled down the track of his own memories just as she is pulled down hers.

He’s grateful when she changes the subject - his mother, his real mother, is not something he’s thought of in some time, and he’d really rather not dwell. “I suppose.” He mumbles awkwardly. It’s a bit embarrassing to admit. “I used to live in the Amazons with my sister, but then, well, everything happened and she’s gotten busy with her new family.” Not that he can begrudge Riva that. Phaedrus is nice, and Niavka is really sweet, and he’s probably old enough to be off on his own anyway.
    the itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout
    -Raeg'n-
    She frowned a little at his question, wondering if perhaps he was mocking her in some way. Surely everyone knew what an Angel was. But he looked genuinely confused, and he hadn't shown any previous signs of wanting to mock her. So she let it pass with a soft smile and a dismissive shake of her head. And he was soon commenting that her mother sounded a lot nicer than his mother.

His face fell after that, and her frown returned and hardened. Her mother was of course nicer than all mothers, being an Angel after all, but he didn't know that. And she didn't have her anymore anyway. Whatever had drowned his happiness just then had nothing to do with how her mother may have treated her and had everything to do with his own treatment. She didn't like what that implied and instantly disliked whoever the woman was. If she knew anything, she knew Lauchlan deserved the kindest of all people in his life.

"I used to live in the Amazons with my sister, but then, well, everything happened and she's gotten busy with her new family."

Well, she wasn't too sure she liked the sound of that either. Had his family just left him behind? She didn't want him getting lost in this dreary mood she unintentionally threw on him, and gave him a playful nudge on his shoulder. Well. You can stay with me if you like. If that's not too... Well anyway, I will be training soon and it would be really nice to see you again every now and then, you know.

We've only just met, I suppose, but you're sort of all I have actually.
    She shrugged and smiled like it was no big deal. She'd been on her own thus far anyway, it wasn't like she couldn't continue on that way if he didn't like the idea. Though, having a friend join her in a new place did make her feel a little more.. cared for, perhaps. It was a selfishly nice feeling.
    Image © Wizards of the Coast LLC