• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

A New Day Begins; Kreios

Nymeria followed the horned stallion quietly. She was not interested in speaking. She simply wished to watch, observe, and sense.  The world was a brilliant place with wind that tickled her nose forcing a soft almost unnoticeable smile to her lips. The sweet scent that hung on the air eased her anxious spirit, and once the duo had arrived in their new home the unspeakable beauty sent a sense of calm soaring through her veins. The Orange Country, as Kreios had called it, had been built from the bare bones of the earth. Canyons broke out from the east to the west and hidden amongst such grandeur was paradise. The greens of the trees were a stark contrast to the red dust surrounding them, but somehow it felt like it had been made for her. This was to be the place where her new chapter was to be written.

”Why….it’s lovely…” The words were spoken and had Kreios been looking in her eyes he would have seen glints of joy and peace. ”Thank you.” She said frankly while bowing her head, stepping toward Kreios and placing her nose to his shoulder. She exhaled, blowing into his mane before inhaling his strong, kindred scent and stepping back.

”So tell me about this place, yourself…..” Nymeria wanted to know it all. She loved to listen especially to other stories. Rarely did the bay mare like for attention to be on her- she never had much to say or much to tell. Her life had been filled with situations that were not unique, and not worth passing on. This stallion, though, he seemed to have a story within him, and Nymeria was curious to learn more about the mysterious horse who had now captured her life.
    nymeria

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

Nymeria seems content to make our journey in silence, and I am grateful for that. While I do enjoy conversation, it is always easiest when I have my thoughts in order.

It seems only hours ago that I had decided to start a herd, and now here I am on my way to my herd land with a mare that is now under my protection. At this thought I turn back to be sure that she is beside me as I stop beside the river. I open my mouth to ask how she likes it when she speaks up, and I do not miss the genuine happiness on her chestnut face when she says it. I duck my head at the thanks, but we are only here because she’s agreed to accompany me and given me the rights to this empty place.

“Thank you for choosing me; it means a lot.” No one has ever really chosen me before, and while I know that she might one day wish to leave for the glamour that the Valley provides or the sisterhood offered by the Jungle, but for now this is enough for me. She’s here, and she likes it, and I reply to her touch on my shoulder by leaning to the side to momentarily press my white shoulder against her red one.

She asks about Orange Country – which I expect – and then about me – which I did not. Well, I reason as I try to decide what to say, it makes sense that she’d want to know about me, even if she’s the first one who hasn’t assumed to know me. Best to get everything out of the way, I decide, before I can decide not to say it.

“Like I said before, I also serve the Deserts -” I gesture upward toward the top of the canyon where beyond stretch the golden dunes of the light mythic kingdom. “I saw this place on one of my patrols, and thought it was perfect. No one’s lived here for ages.” That’s clear from the abundance of fruit hanging from the trees and the belly deep green grass, even this close to the arid desert.

“As for me, I grew up between the Dale, the neutral mythic kingdom, and the Desert.” I have to remember to explain what these places are, I tell myself, she is not familiar with them and I do not want to assume and make her feel uneasy. “My father ruled the Desert and my mother the Dale, but they have both passed; my father the most recently. He always wanted me to be great warrior like himself and my twin brother, but I do not think I am cut out for that life.” First appearances can be deceiving, I know, especially when I do not attempt to contradict those that assume because of my size I must be a fighter. My father, despite my efforts, never saw me as anything but he wanted me to do, and when I did not reach his standards as quickly as Kratos, I was labeled worthless.

It does not do to dwell in the past, I remind myself. Best to think of the future. “But I think that I will make a good herd stallion, if you are willing to help me.” I meet her eyes with a hopeful smile; she must have more experience with herds than I do.

The weight of Kreios’s shoulder against her own was light almost as if he was drawing just a hint of support from Nymeria. She liked that. Though she had chosen Kreios he had also chosen her. He was the one who came to her in the field. He was the one who spoke out so frankly- the one who invited her, who took the chance. At this moment in time Nymeria had no other intentions other than to follow the ram horned steed, and follow him with all of what made her her.

Thankfully Kreios had welcomed her question with a detailed answer. She followed him quietly as he strolled to the top of the canyon. Her eyes locked onto the distant land that her stallion was speaking of. She gazed at it for a moment before she looked to him. Her eyes were filled with genuine curiosity and concern for his story. He spoke of his roots, where he had come from. Nymeria had found it interesting in the field that this land had kingdoms, and she found it even more interesting that Kreios had been born out of two of them. Nymeria thought to herself that Kreios must have been made out of some powerful blood as if the gods themselves had woven him into being. To be born out of two great leaders said a lot about his heritage. At the mention of his parents passing Nymeria dipped her head then lightly pressed into the lower end of his neck with her nose. She hadn’t known what it was like to lose both her parents. Nymeria had been the one to leave her father- and to be quite honest she knew with her fathers’ magic he would never truly pass.

”I’m sorry.” Nymeria whispered into his shoulder before pulling back and resting in stance beside him. Her ears tweaked toward the rest of the history. He spoke of his parents desire for him to be a warrior and how he believed he wasn’t intended for such. Nymeria smiled to herself. She could see the capability in Kreios. For the bay mare knew that being a warrior did not always mean the biting of teeth and scrapping of hooves. Warrior meant bravery and bravery came in many ways.

Now to respond to his last statement, ”You will.” She spoke softly. ”Even without me…” She looked to her hooves. ”Thankfully, though, that wont ever be the case.” Her eyes turned forward and she looked back off into the distance. ”You should be more proud of yourself.” She said simply while still keeping her eyes set in front of her.
    nymeria

kreios

I look over when she presses her muzzle to my side at the mention of my parent’s passing, and smile. I do miss them – my mother most of all – and am grateful for her condolences despite the time that has passed. “Thank you.”

Nymeria is encouraging, and I interpret her answer as meaning she will help me. That too, I am grateful for. She doesn’t meet my gaze when she says that I should be more proud of myself, and I wonder why. I have not done anything worthy of pride. I am a capable, but not outstanding, member of the Desert Army, and I am now a herd stallion. Well, perhaps being a herd stallion is enough of an accomplishment in itself. I’ve never actually met someone that lived in a herd before; we must be rare creatures indeed.

“I’ll try,” I tell her with a smile, even if she is not looking at me to see it. And I will try, and perhaps I might even try to be good enough to have pride in.

“What was your life like, before you came here?” I ask, aware now that I’ve given her my life story but not heard hers. I know she was raised outside of Beqanna and cannot imagine what such a place must be like. “Where did you live?”

It was nice standing beside her Kreios. Nymeria found total contentment in his presence. He had such a soft spirit about him. Nymeria felt safe. It was a feeling she had been searching for ever since Brinley left her. Nymeria turns her head just in time to see his smile, and she returns her own. Her own smile filled with sweet calm. A breeze flicks the lower part of her mane upward, and she shivers. The cooled air chills her legs forming a string of goosebumps. It is quiet. It is peaceful.

Kreios breaks the moment with a follow up question. He asks her of her life- of her boring old life. Nymeria didn’t feel like she had a story, but she took a moment to recall something from her past. ”Well…I was born in Beqanna, but left before I could even remember it. I have a twin sister, Brinley. She’s the lovely one- the outgoing one. I stayed with her for many years, but I’m an immortal…and she is not….” Nymeria paused with lips pursed. ”She grew old, and I came here.” There was much more to tell, but Nymeria felt like she covered the highlights, Brinley. Her sister was her guide, and she her shadow.

nymeria
    blahh

kreios

Though I know of immortality and am aware that it is an invisible trait, I had never considered that perhaps Nymeria possessed it. I had assumed she was similar in age to myself; she doesn’t look any older. She might be my parent’s age, I realize, or perhaps even older. It is a strange thought, and my expression grows pensive as I consider it.

It doesn’t matter, I decide eventually. She has chosen to come here and live with me in the Orange Country, so she cannot think much of whatever differences there are in our ages. I will grow old too, I realize, and she will stay just like this, young and beautiful. “I’m glad you came here.” I tell her, reaching out to gently push away the strands of her mane that had been blown asunder by the wind. “I’m glad I met you.”

And it’s true. I cannot remember the last time that I felt as content in someone’s presence as I do in Nymeria’s. Perhaps when I was with Lucrezia, I think, but I have not seen her in nearly two years. It is strange how quickly time passes, and while I do think of the peafowl mare with affection, her features grow cloudier in my memories with each passing day.

The breeze has blown down a few early-blooming orange blossoms, and one flutters against my nose before landing on the ground at my hooves. It’s a pretty little flower, as white as the clouds, and I reach down gently to pick it up. I place it carefully in Nymeria’s black mane, and step back to admire my handiwork. “Beautiful,” I say aloud, and hope that she might not notice that I am looking at her, and not at the flower.

“Want to go exploring?” I ask, seemingly out of nowhere despite the fact that I have been considering it for a while. “I’ve never been to the herd lands in Beqanna, and I’ve heard most of them are empty. Maybe we could rank them against the Orange Country, and see how they compare.” Though I’ve no intention of leaving what I think is the most perfect herd land, I know few horses that can say they’ve been to the Volcanic Village, or to Paradise Beach. They sound like fantastic destinations and I can’t think of anyone I’d rather see them with than Nymeria.

Nymeria watches Kreios in the solace of the moment. From his handsome face stretches two ram horns. They are unique in their appearance and for a moment Nymeria is caught in them. They pronounce strength and valor. Two traits that Nymeria believes her stallion possesses. The horns reach toward her and she feels a soft touch as her mane travels past her cheek and tickles the edges of her face. She shyly smiles and lowers her head briefly to only raise it again and meet his eyes. What handsome and gentle eyes he has, she thinks. ”I’m glad I’ve met you.” She replies with the smile still on her lips.

The orange blossom falls and Nymeria follows its trail as it drifts past Kreios’s nose. She stays quiet and still when he reaches for it, and as he draws close to her again she closes her eyes. The weight of the flower in her mane can be felt, and she imagines how silly she must look. Though Kreios clearly does not see what she imagines. Her eyes open when he exclaims her beauty. She is flattered, never before had a word been used to describe her, Miss Plain.

Suddenly the tension is broken with an unexpected question. Nymeria is secretly thankful she does not need to reply to the compliments. She wasn’t sure what was appropriate to respond with, but she knew that she could easily answer the more recently proposed question. ”Sure!” She exclaims with bright eyes. ”I haven’t seen much, myself…and as long as I’m with you I know I’ll be safe.”
    nymeria
    mare of orange country

kreios

I am oblivious to any awkwardness that my comments might have caused. I was only speaking the truth, and can’t imagine that have any untoward effect. Nonetheless, I am clearly excited when Nymeria accepts my suggestion of exploring. She goes farther, saying that she’ll be safe in my presence and for the first time I don’t feel immediately inclined to disagree with her. I will keep her safe, I realize, even if it might not come naturally.

“Misty Rapids is the closest,” I say, gesturing to the north. “Should we go there first?” I’ve never been, but I know where it is, having passed the divergence in the trail to the other herd land a dozen times. I know there’s a lot of water there, and presumably mist, but that is all.

So this was super short D:
    I guess we could either just continue this thread knowing that they’re traveling or post on the actual boards –whatever you want is fine with me! Big Grin