• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  give me hope in the darkness;
    Leilan
    He would have understood, some time ago, that Brennen had felt betrayed when he rage-quit defending Nerine. He could have if he had put his mind to it, understand that the mage had given everything to protect, and then it’s capricious so-called king had left the premises to wreck something else. In fact, Leilan had even taken Lethy with him as well, though she had had little say in the matter. In retrospect maybe he should have stayed, but he had also recognized that blasting ice all over the fire would only have resulted in more death and destruction. It was that argument he had held up when Lilliana had confronted him, even if it had only really come to him later on.

It had had so little effect, he sometimes wondered if he should have taken the children. But then he realizes that it would only have angered the magician-queen more at the time. A sort of fatalism had taken over his mind when he thought about the incident and the only thing he could do was decide that he at least made good on his promises.

Right now though, he recognizes the bay magician’s smothered irritation-of-what-once-was for what it is. It’s a perk of his newly frozen heart, that the thing that beats in his chest remains cold and logical and, most of all, unbroken. It takes more warmth to thaw a frozen heart than Leilan thinks he’ll ever meet in his life, plus, he knows where the original lies - and no-one else. His walls are up and so much more effective these days than they used to be, what with the cracks frozen over once more, and he feels safer with it than ever. Safe enough even, to prod the other with his signature annoyance. I was gonna ask you if it would kill you to do the same, and it brings an smile of feigned innocence to his face and mental voice, But then I guess it’s always the young that need to move before their elders. He may not have a warm heart, he certainly kept his odd sense of humour, and why would he.

The winds return to swirl in a single place, temperature dropping significantly before opening up a space that looks like the northern sky; deep black, with green-like light and a bunch of white dots - snowflakes, not stars, like a blizzard. He steps through and the little waft of ice closes behind him easily, until the young magician eyes the other, quicksilver in his eyes slowly being replaces by the icy blue and sometimes green, the other knows of him better. The ice mage hasn’t bothered to change that giveaway feature of his; it’s been part of his body for so long, and still betrays his heritage. Even if it shows a wholly different colour than his mother’s. ”I’ll bite.” He says, giving a wry smile. ”How’s life?” he offers casually - as if he doesn’t know that Brennen hadn’t exactly lived life to the fullest, the last couple years.
    told you I'd change
    even when I knew I never could

@Brennen
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    give me hope in the darkness; - by Brennen - 11-11-2021, 02:49 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Leilan - 11-11-2021, 03:59 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Brennen - 11-12-2021, 03:22 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Leilan - 11-20-2021, 02:35 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Brennen - 11-29-2021, 03:16 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; - by Leilan - 12-16-2021, 05:13 AM