• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  your string of lights is still bright to me
    — and how long must I stay, will I lay by your side
    just to say that I'm yours and you'll never be mine —
    “I wish I could fight,” she tells him a little wistfully, but she looks down at her glass legs as she says it and her face falls. She was not as fragile as she felt, and sometimes it was easy to forget. Hourglass has never been timid or shy—as a child she bordered on reckless, and the tighter the hold her mother had tried to keep on her the more she had fought against it.  She wanted to see how hard she could push herself, wanted to see how far she could go until she felt like she might break.

It was never as far as she would have liked.
    No matter the ferocity she might feel inside of her chest or the heat of the blood in her veins, she had not been given a body that could withstand it.

“I bet I could have won,” she says with an exaggerated tone of faux arrogance, and the smile on her lips is a teasing one when she adds, “I mean, if I wasn’t glass, I think I could take you.” With her delicate head tilted upwards at a haughty angle she still cannot keep up the charade for long, and it falls away with a lilting laugh. “Maybe next time.”

Her eyes follow the direction that he points, and she realizes that not only has she never been to the island he speaks of, but she’s never even been to that side of Beqanna. The furthest she has ever gone is the autumn woods of Sylva and a little bit of the Pampas. “I was born in the meadow,” she answers his question, scanning around her, knowing that somewhere beneath all that shadow and dark was the land she was most familiar with. “My mother grew up in Pangea, but she didn’t want my twin sister and I there. So she kept us here, and I just never really had a reason to...live anywhere, I guess.”

Her mother and father were in Pangea again, last she had heard, but Hourglass has never been tempted to rejoin them. She has grown too accustomed to freedom, to no borders and no one to answer to. “I don’t mind it. The meadow, the forest, the river—I just drift between them all.” Her expression turns pensive as she grows quiet, before finally admitting softly, “It can be lonely, but I don’t think calling a certain land home would fix it.”
    hourglass
    — with this love like a hole,
    swallow my soul —

@[Gale]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: your string of lights is still bright to me - by Hourglass - 03-21-2021, 12:54 AM