• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  between the lines of fear and blame | heartfire

you can run but you can't hide
    breath on your skin, I've arrived

“There is always something,” she replies candidly, a half-hearted amusement coloring her words. And it’s true, there is always something. For as long as Heartfire could remember, this world had seemed to tumble from one disaster to the next. Some proved far worse than others, but they were inevitably always life altering to some. “If this darkness has been here before, it’s far enough back that it would take more lifetimes than I have to find.”

Her gaze returns then to Gale, speculative as she eyes him openly. “But that hardly matters,” she continues, her voice carrying a certainty that belies her recent admission. “The past is not a better tutor because it will tell you what to do.”

She smiles then, though it’s a curious thing. It almost flickers with amusement, but the edges are just a bit too sharp, blue eyes glinting just a bit too brightly for genuine humor. It is not a joyful smile. Rather, it is one of a woman who has seen so many make the same mistake Gale was teetering towards.

She knows however, that is a lesson no words are sufficient enough to truly encompass. She might try, but it is only the experience that can truly teach one the value of what she speaks. Still, she does try. At the very least, perhaps she could show him the right path, as she had tried to do with Aela.

“If you traipse through enough history, you will notice one thing that always remains consistent,” she shifts slightly, facing Gale more fully, serene features focused and devoid of leftover traces of humor. “Our nature.” She pauses, head tilting as she assesses him. Was that enough for him to understand? “Circumstances change, the tides rise and fall, but we never do.” One brow tilts up, as though inviting him to refute her. “I don’t look to fluctuating futures,” she continues with a note of finality, “because it has served me far better to achieve what I wish by understanding the nature of my fellow equine.”

heartfire

@[Gale]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: between the lines of fear and blame | heartfire - by Heartfire - 02-10-2021, 10:32 AM