• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

from the pinnacle to the pit; leliana
    V u l g a r i S
    The children have reached the point where they believe themselves to be grown enough to leave their parents’ side. They come back when they’re tired or to settle arguments, but for the most part they’ve learned to rely on each other for company or stake out their independence. Part of him is relieved to have some alone time as he patrols the borders of Tephra but he would be lying if he said he didn’t miss them. Vulgaris had grown comfortable with Drache and Saint tailing him like glimmering shadows with eyes full of wonder. But they’ve outgrown his scary stories and his children’s games. They’re learning to live their own lives and he couldn’t be more proud.

He enjoys the border between Tephra and Sylva best, he thinks, because the forest seems to hold a quiet mystery to it. He wonders what his former advisor is up to in there but he never steps over that line to seek her out. Maybe another day, he tells himself as the pine needles crunch under his hooves. Some part of him still yearns for the hot springs of Loess or the dessert flowers that bloomed so sweet in the spring rains. Some day he’ll have to go catch up with Castile and see just what the dragon king is up to. He used to find such comfort in having a friend with more scales than him.

He steps over a cooled lava flow and he wonders if Leliana will ever be satisfied with how much of their kingdom she’s rebuilt. She slows only enough to permit her body the energy it needs for their baby and devotes entirely too much of herself to the lands. When she comes to sleep, he can hardly kiss her goodnight before she’s drifted off with her head against him. It worries him to see her push herself so hard but she wouldn’t be happy any other way, he thinks. Vulgaris would give anything to alleviate some of that burden from her shoulders but he has never had the magic to heal anything aside from himself, and he doesn’t even have that now.

He pauses as he reaches the corner where Tephra, Sylva, and Taiga meet. He knows very well that Heartfire will never allow her territories to invade just as Castile and Starsin will not cross Tephran borders any time soon. Perhaps today he could spend the hours with his wife? Vulgaris hesitates briefly before wandering deeper into their home, toward the spring at the base of the volcano.
    In this shook-up, twisted world, I'm gradually growing transparent and vanishing
    Don’t look for me; don't look at me
    @[leliana]

Messages In This Thread
    from the pinnacle to the pit; leliana - by vulgaris - 08-28-2019, 07:47 PM