• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open quest]  Summer School 2019 - Art in Chemistry
    Cyprin attentively listens once having completed her attempt at poetry. A smile sweetly lifts the edges of her mouth before she shyly glances away. There are other tests, she reminds herself, and the realization is thrusted upon them when the teacher inclines his head. The theater cracks away and in its place is a room with volatile substances and smoking flasks. Her eyes dance, but still she listens to the instructions. Contemplating the assignment, she gropes for something beneficial to her – but also to others – as a means to address the chaotic world around them. Cyprin is not a fighter, and so she dives into that and reaches tendrils of her magic into the spaces around them.

Any inanimate object she can find – both physically and through extraction from her personal magic – she utilizes with a plan steadfast in mind. Rocks, spider silk, limpet teeth (a surprisingly strong material), sand, and some diamond for a feminine dazzle.

First, Cyprin melts what she can with magic of extremely high and dangerous temperatures. Separate from the other substances, the sand stands alone to be melted. Surprisingly, ordinary sand can be melted into a liquid – thus how glass is so often formed – and so she utilizes the strength for that and ensures through microscopic observation the atomic rate to which it all binds to form a “strong liquid.”

Everything else is melted and combined, one at a time. Gas is introduced in attempt to expand gradually, cooling the temperatures periodically to ensure the elasticity of what she is making. Spider silk, oddly enough, is one of the strongest natural materials in the world. Strength is what she wants, and its elasticity.

But there’s more.

Like in an anatomy class, Cyprin retrieves an ear – somehow, the entire structure of one – from a lab specimen. It will hear, she tells herself as she adds it to the mixture and watches everything roil and bubble.

After what feels like hours, Cyprin steps away with a cooled down substance.

It’s gelatinous as it sits next to her while she waits for her own turn. When the time comes, she steps forward and speaks rather quietly.

<i>”I’ve created a force shield that can expand or shrink as the user wants. It is a Maxwell solid, it’s behavior considered viscoplastic or gelatinous. This material is light,”</i> she is able to lift it, move it, before setting it back down tenderly, <i>”in comparison to what I used to create it. The diamonds were to add strength, a pale white, and some shimmer on top of everything else.”</i> Here, she pauses and inches back slightly to allow herself room. <i>”Due to a little piece of anatomy I added – and some magic – the force shield is reactive to sound. If there is a war with a lot off commotion, it will be larger. Have it near you, and when it hears a scream, it registers the pitch due to the cilia and determines the urgency.”</i> As a demonstration, Cyprin shouts and exclaims for a shield, and the gelatinous ball expands in a size large enough to protect her. <i>”It’s gone,”</i> she says and the substance shrinks back down as she makes it believe the danger has gone. Next, Cyprin yells and allows her magic to create an army of loud noises that rattles the blob to life. It expands large enough to house the classroom, holding its structure until the girl once again says, <i>”Okay, it’s gone.”</i> It retracts and plops back down on the table next to her, idle.

With a tilt of her head, Cyprin concludes. <i>”A force shield. Gelatinous substance that is strong enough to protect one or many others from harm. It’s reactive to sound. Light and bouncy in hand but tough and sturdy once in a protective mode.”</i> And with a curt nod, she is done.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Summer School 2019 - Art in Chemistry - by Cyprin - 08-19-2019, 09:48 AM