• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open quest]  Summer School 2019 - Art in Chemistry
    The magic in the air of the classroom is intangible, but there is no denying its presence. The thrill that it causes to dance along her spine is not unlike the sensation of using her own gifts. An unspeakable feeling, an emotion without name. It is invigorating, and Lepis begins the task with enthusiasm

For some time she simply experiments.

Elements and emotions swirl around her, coloring the air in vivid hues as she stares – seemingly empty-eyed – into the air. Shapes and swirls appear in the earth ahead of her, flickering in and out of existence as she rejects them or changes them, just to reject the changed substance shortly after transformation.

In the end, the solid substance in front of her resembles a little pile of sand. But no sand has ever been this fine or this pure. No sand has ever captured the sunlight quite like the delicate matter does, holding its glow and reflecting it through its clear crystalline structure until it shines out even brighter. It eddies and swirls with each movement in the room around her, but no particle ever drifts too far from the others – it is bound to its kind by something just a little like a magnetic field.

Lepis blows on it, and the conical pile falls away and flattens, the particles reshaping themselves under the force of her breath. She nudges her nose beneath it and it lifts it up, and it drapes across her navy nose not unlike a piece of cloth might, if cloth were made of a million little bits of dust.

As soon as it settles on her, she can feel her eyelids start to droop. Though she stifles a yawn and blinks sleepy eyes, she is also grinning widely as she summons the energy needed to toss the object away. As soon as it does, her weariness vanishes. Bracing herself for the effects of her creation, she sleepily stumbles to the front of the class with it once more balanced carefully on her nose.

<b>“I call it Slumber Dust.”</b> she tells them, glancing down at the shining pile. <b>“I suppose it’s a solid, though it reminds me of a liquid with the way it moves. It is colorless, but the way it captures the light makes it glow, and I don’t think it weighs no more than a few feathers.”</b>

<b>“It induces sleep with physical contact. I’m not sure what use others might make of it, but I imagine it would be quite useful in getting my children to sleep at bedtime.”</b> She laughs softly to herself, trying to imagine Celina ever standing still enough for Lepis to get her to touch the Slumber Dust. <b>“It will cause sleepiness as long as it is making contact, so caution should be used when using it, least the sleeper never wake. It will become truly solid at the same temperature as water, and when cold is not as effective and can be more easily carried about.”</b>

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Summer School 2019 - Art in Chemistry - by Lepis - 08-18-2019, 09:00 PM