• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Soldier keep on marching on; Ilma
    Ilma
    One night I will be the moon
    hanging over you

One night I will be a star
    follow where you are
    Life could be a disappointment; the white mare finally understood this. How sad, she thought, that she was probably already on her way to her grave - at her age she was beyond half the age that most horses lived. And she was not born in Beqanna - she doubted that she was blessed with immortality or something of the like. Her daughter certainly hadn’t gotten it from her.

How sad then, to come to these wise conclusions only yo have such a short time to use it well. But perhaps, she already knows that that is the natural way of things. The young repeat the mistakes of the old, because each is only partly the same as their parent. And the diversity makes them evolve (sometimes, at least). If everyone lived forever, the world would be crowded with timid old men and women, who never took a risk.

Perhaps he is one of those, too.

He certainly looks it - there is the lack of a spark, which must have been there at some point? He seems to have lost the memory of youth. And hasn’t she, as well? Where had her ambition for Hyaline gone? Must have gotten lost underway, and she didn’t look back to change it back. Was it fear? She cannot say. Perhaps it was. Is.

He confirms - his evasive answer does, anyway. She looks to him more closely, then nods. ”Then we have a no, don’t we? I can’t, as long as you doubt.”

It is true for herself as much as it is for him, though. She realizes it just after she says it; tilts her head slightly. ”You know what, I think you just helped me.” And she laughs, clearer than she has in a long while. A light reappears in her face as she recognizes that part of her that she lost before. The part with her energy. Her stubbornness. Determination.

”Let me rephrase, because I think we started the wrong way. I’m Ilma. And I’m going to help you live again whether you want me to or not. Will you tell me your name?”

For the first time in about five years, she smiles instead of worries. She’ll tail this man until he realizes what she did, just now. That life isn’t something you can ever quit - and that people may develop, but at the core they’ll stay the same innocent foal they once were. He may not remember his foal years, but then perhaps they may create new memories in their stead.
    Hurry, the sun is waking
    Darling, don't leave me waiting
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

Messages In This Thread
    Soldier keep on marching on; Ilma - by Hurricane - 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM
    RE: Soldier keep on marching on; Ilma - by Ilma - 07-27-2019, 08:32 AM
    RE: Soldier keep on marching on; Ilma - by Ilma - 08-09-2019, 07:10 AM
    RE: Soldier keep on marching on; Ilma - by Ilma - 08-29-2019, 11:10 AM
    RE: Soldier keep on marching on; Ilma - by Ilma - 10-23-2019, 02:59 AM