• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

All things want to open. [any]
    Lilli is good at the banter. She can play with the lightness of conversation, can turn it around quick and usually find some playful reply. She is good at smiling, at keeping a cheerful facade. Those blue eyes can brighten to a shade of brilliant blue. Her smile is warm and genuine, has none of the lines of deceit or manipulation. Perhaps if Lilli was better at reading others, if she had some aspirations or grand design at power and prestige, she would have a wittier reply, something better to say than these impish turn of phrases. But this is Lilliana we are speaking of - she has no plans beyond the immediate moment. She can't even bring herself to think of the impending evening that looms before them. To think of the darkness fills her with dread and Lilli would just be happier to avoid thinking of it at all.

But the problem with this is that night is coming. It comes at the same time (give or take a few moments thanks to the changing of the seasons) every day and the way that the shadows come long gives the blue-eyed girl a reason to cast a careful look into the woods. 

She follows into an easy stride with Neverwhere. This is an easy thing, letting the other mare take charge and lead them. Perhaps if this had been Beyond, if Lilli hadn't lost all her confidence and what little assurance she once had, she would be able to take Neverwhere somewhere. But that girl is long gone and in her place is this russet shadow, an intimation of the girl who had once been so much bolder. It's funny. Lilli has been afraid of change, of losing a part of herself and despite everything, the walls and barriers she has put around herself, the careful way she has managed her emotions, she has lost sight of herself somewhere. (The more time she spends in Beqanna, the more that this has become painfully aware to the crimson girl.)

Neverwhere might not have intended to take charge of their current situation but the fact that she does isn't missed by Lilli. She takes notice of it and a wave of appreciation passes through her, a fleeting glance full of gratitude goes out to Neverwhere even if it's missed by her hazy sight. If the two mares with perhaps a touch more comfortable with each other, Lilli would have bumped her shoulder, given her a light touch as thank you for Neverwhere forging a path where Lilli hasn't even been able to find a trail.

But they aren't quite there yet and so Lilli can only hope that her silent appreciation doesn't go unnoticed.

The dappled mare looks at her and Lilli glances curiously back, trying to discern what is that Neverwhere is asking of her. The wolves, or whatever it is that has stalked in the wood, are temporarily forgotten as her blue eyes peer to the mare beside her. Something inside Lilli groans and she wonders if she has said the wrong thing. It seems like she has made one wrong choice after the other. "A few," she admits hesitantly. She looks away from Neverwhere then, thinking over her next words. The russet girl gives a small sigh and continues to follow the path that the dappled mare has set for them. "I've been making my way down to the River." A small offering, a small admission that feels like a huge on to Lilliana. And as her mind moves forward, she decides to offer Neverwhere a little more. "The River feels more like home to me." She looks back to Never then, a thoughtful smile emerging.

She decides then to give the silver mare a little more of the truth, of herself and perhaps Neverwhere might tell her something of herself in return. Where did she come from? What were her people like? There are questions that linger in the back of Lilliana's mind. "I haven't been sleeping well.. at night, that is. I've been trying to get a few hours during the day while the sun is out." Her expression becomes more serious and then she looks ahead again, focusing on the path that leads to the River. "I hate the dark. I always have... it's just been worse since I came here." She pauses, swallowing the lump that forms in her throat. "If you don't mind, we could go to the River together. And then we can concoct any further schemes from there?" Her heart races a little bit asking the mare so directly and she glances back to Neverwhere, invitation, and understanding lurking behind her blue eyes. 

@[neverwhere]
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind

Messages In This Thread
    All things want to open. [any] - by Neverwhere - 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-20-2019, 02:34 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-23-2019, 06:25 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-27-2019, 07:44 PM