• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

All things want to open. [any]
    Silence. Neverwhere would say that there has not been enough of that in her life, she would be snide and say that somebody is always chattering nearby, horses, birds, squirrels, rivers. The grass in the wind rustling gently, spreading rumors. The dappled mare would say that she has never been lonely, too, but that is not entirely correct. Although she builds her little walls to keep others at bay and takes her solitary treks, she has also not been content in a very long time. She creates nothing and only slinks through life, barely experiencing it because it would require the social interaction that she avoids with a sneer.

She has been lonely her whole life.

She would never admit it, she would never share it, and if Neverwhere even recognizes this small truth, she keeps it buried deep, untouched. Best to let it fester in darkness, coiling tendrils of anxiety and restlessness in her belly and brain that she hides behind her mask of disinterest.

Lilliana's tone has changed drastically and the mare blinks and draws a long breath while the chestnut speaks.

"You can apologize if you want, but it's a waste," her words run slowly, unsure of the correct way to react, but quite sure what she's said is not it. "Apologizing for thinking we might leave somehow! We got here, didn't we?"

Indeed, it must be possible to leave, too. Magic or no, the land couldn't sustain a constant influx of new horses appearing bewildered on its shores, on top of the seasonal population growth. No, there must be some way that horses can disperse to other lands beyond, if they've set their minds to it.

Lilliana's own family must have managed it, although Neverwhere has no way of knowing that history.

"Unless we just die," she adds, helpfully.

Her tone is wry, but she has no way of telling whether her red-gold companion - whose mood has turned sharply from sparkling to gloomy - will take it as a joke or as a blow, so it is somewhat carelessly said.

"I think I'll be leaving as much of the magic as I can right where it is," She doesn't mention that she is afraid of it, a truth she grasps a bit more firmly than the truth of her solitude. "Plagues, wars, power, no. It's all so much work, don't you think?"

And so much responsibility. And so many chains binding you in place. Neverwhere has been nomadic for so long, she is not sure if she can stop her feet from running, now. She cannot imagine what it is like to have a home, a family, a goal. The thought of stopping grips her throat in panic. She is not tempted by any of those things

"I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm always finding another trail, so maybe it was inevitable that I end up here. I could end up anywhere, really, but I go nowhere. I wish I had a better answer for you."

She doesn't wish that, though. Not really Because she already knows that there is one.

Neverwhere

@[lilliana] is this were we apologize for weird meandering posts that we wrote while we were dirnking? lol

Messages In This Thread
    All things want to open. [any] - by Neverwhere - 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-20-2019, 02:34 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-23-2019, 06:25 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by Neverwhere - 07-23-2019, 09:46 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 07-27-2019, 07:44 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 08-02-2019, 09:56 PM
    RE: All things want to open. [any] - by lilliana - 08-05-2019, 09:09 PM