• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Desolation comes upon the sky // Brennen

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

He hummed at her approach, his most subtle and yet easily accessible sign of warmth and affection. The sound of it made Scorch's bones feel soft, as if something about his contendedness with her specifically could transcend the earthly woes that so tormented her these days. She had yet to show any symptoms of the contagion, but that didn't mean she wasn't infected; thoughts like these kept her up day and night, and having little Blue in this kingdom with them was unsettling, too. But she was a yearling now, and able to make decisions of her own; though she looked still to her parents for guidance, they no longer had a full authority over her.

Scorch wondered if Brennen could read her mind as she thought of their daughter. She wouldn't mind if he could; where once she may have been disquieted by the invasion, by now she had become accustomed to the level of intimacy she shared with the magician. His quiet presence rarely rubbed her the wrong way.

He responded quietly at first, continuing to hum as an answer formulated in his mind. The first thing he said was sweet, of course, and Scorch found herself smiling absently. It felt right. At least, it felt safe; and without her husband to turn to, a safe love was more than she could ask for. Scorch nodded into Brennen's neck, murmuring an agreement in terms of the threat they faced and how unison would only strengthen them. Family would always be Scorch's first priority, and in the light of her wavering dedication to the Sisterhood (for she could barely even trick herself into calling it that any more), that fact had only become more clear.

Brennen turned to politics, and Scorch made no comment. He knew how she felt about the idiocy going on up there; she had voiced as much at the kingdom meeting as well as during the council meeting, not holding back on her arsenal of scathing comments (directed mostly at her own son nonetheless). Icicle Isle was a freezing wasteland even worse than the Tundra had been, and Scorch resented the idea of ever leaving Nerine. The day she left would be the last day she considered herself a Sister... and she wasn't ready for that. Yet.

How are you?

She sighed. It wasn't any easy question to answer.

"I'm..." She straightened, scuffed her hoof in the silty earth. "I'm fed up and uncertain. Everything is changing and every day the Amazons seem farther and farther away... When I first returned under Hestia's rule, there was something almost tangible to ascribe to. Now, there's nothing. The name is empty. Our people are empty." Raising her eyes from where she had set them on a rock to their left, Scorch found Brennen's face and gave a smile that more resembled a wince than anything joyful. "And I'm starting to feel that I am, too."

Scorch

Once Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

@[Brennen] PMS and Scorch don't make happiness, clearly
    [Image: scorch2.png]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Desolation comes upon the sky // Brennen - by Scorch - 11-21-2018, 12:55 AM