• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

how time twines around your neck; any
    I believe – perhaps mistakenly – that the worst of my life is behind me. This belief is foolish, of course, because the world is a dangerous place for those like me. Those that are small, those that are weak, those that tremble in the face of fear.

‘Of course’, he says, and there is a warm rush of relief even in this cold place. The warmth remains, even when realization begins to sink in and he reaches toward me. My hooves seem rooted to the grey earth, the almost-forgotten paralysis of fear. I have avoided this with my gift, using false emotions as a memory suppressant but in the Afterlife I am stripped of my ability, and fall back to old habits without thought.

‘There’s a price’ he reminds me, and I wonder how I had ever forgotten. I had let myself believe that I was safe, fooled myself into believing that I was in control.

It feels at times as though I am destined to be unhappy.

As soon as I have found something perfect, fate rears its unwelcome head. I think of Wolfbane as Elektrum traces the scars of my neck and shoulders, and I do not pull away. I don’t want to be fully dead. For all the struggles of living, it is not yet something that I am ready to abandon. There are things I intend to do yet; I am not finished with my story. Fighting a god would surely be an immediate end. I have witnessed a few moments of his abilities; there is no way to deny him in a way that does not endanger me – or the small thing that I so desperately hope is growing inside me.

“What is the price?”I ask against the warm span of his shoulder. His proximity makes this necessary, though I do not pull away to speak less intimately. I shiver as the heavy grey hangs ominously around us: death ethereally paused, perhaps, by the potential creation of its antithesis.

Perhaps magic is not absent here after all.

Perhaps everything here is magic.

I have never been a great philosopher, and abstract thought makes my head ache. I would rather deal with what is in front of me, or in this case: beside me. I’d flinched at his touch the first time, belly deep in the water, but not anymore. One ear flicks back toward him, and a quiet breath eases between my lips as a low sigh. No longer paralyzed, it seems, and I attempt to meet his gaze with a brow raised as if to emphasize my inquiry regarding the price for taking me back home.

@[Elektrum]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: how time twines around your neck; any - by Lepis - 10-21-2018, 09:41 AM