• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

hold me in this wild, wild world; Solace & Kagerus
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    Brennen enjoys the winter wind across his face, because it reminds him of home. Home-the-Tundra, not the home he is making in Ischia. It was part of what drew him to Hyaline in the first place when it was empty and open to claiming – the mountains so like his cliffs and mountains, with the winter snow atop them. Brennen would have taken Hyaline for his own, but the young man who had arrived to claim it before the bay warrior had impressed him with his vision, quite clear for one so young, and so Brennen had backed Amet in his claim and brought the might of Nerine to protect the young people Amet was brining to call the Kingdom home, at least for a time.

He was not here when Amet chose to distance Hyaline from Nerine, or the unfortunate events that followed, and he stills feels some guilt for that, though is absence had been unavoidable. Perhaps that is why he is ready to accept Solace’s vision for Hyaline; it seems much like his also-beloved Falls, after all, with the peaceful populace and the welcome sign hung out front for all. As long as it remains so, a sanctuary, Brennen will probably choose to support them, though any deviation from that vision would change his allegiances.

Once they have skimmed through all of the polite smalltalk expected of anyone from two Kingdoms of such rank meeting under peaceful circumstances – Brennen a Watcher in Ischia, Solace Hyaline’s Queen and Kagerus one of their top diplomats – the two mares turn his attention from peace to warfare, Solace quite straightforward that that is the reason for bringing Brennen, specifically, from Ischia to Hyaline. Kagerus is playful and perhaps eager, but Solace is honest in their shortcomings, and Brennen approves of her practical nature, though he still grins at Kagerus’ smirk and takes the opportunity to harmlessly flirt a bit (he can’t help himself), “I would be honored to face such beauty on the Plains rather that my usual grizzled warrior opponents.”
    Then he turns serious thought to Solace’s more practical questions. “There is always someone more skilled or more powerful than you, or even me.” is what he says first and any hint of teasing is gone, his face and voice deadly serious. Something, perhaps, even haunted in his tone. Something about Kagerus tells him she might be older than she appears, but Solace is quite young, and the time which haunts Brennen would be quite before her time. He can’t resist starting with an anecdote, but the harsh memories of loss that accompany the war with the Valley and the God-age Carnage steer him to choose a different tale. Once, he was not so different from them. “I entered my first major tournament as a three-year-old.” A wry smile tells them he has long had time to contemplate the foolishness of this action. “I had just found my father, in the Tundra, and I wanted to prove myself to him and prove I had worth to the brotherhood. I had no business in a tournament of that level, but I was careful and bold, and that served me well.” He remembers fighting Marston, and Snake, and finally Shotgun, and he remembers the feeling of returning home with such unexpected victories under his belt. It had been a good feeling, for a lost boy basically raised by birds; it had cemented his devotion to his father’s Tundra.

He turns his head to meet Solace’s eyes, and finds nothing but honesty there. She is not understating her own abilities to make him underestimate her on the battlefield, but seriously seeking his advice. And Brennen has always been equal parts teacher and fighter. “The hardest lesson many fighters have to learn is not to ever allow anger to take over for you in a fight. Fighting like a beserker, blinded by the battle-rage, is a mixture of brute power and muscle memory; muscle memory comes from experience, and brute power can always be outfoxed.”

“When you are outmatched, you must be smarter and braver than your opponent. The mindless fighter can be quite physically powerful or showy, but easy to bring down if you can outthink him. Find every advantage you have and milk it for all it is worth. If they are bigger and stronger than you, you must be quicker and more agile – if they can’t catch you, they can’t hurt you, and they will tire themselves trying.” It’s a very basic example, but still relevant. He looks pointedly at Solace’s wings, and then back to her face. “Unless your opponent is also blessed with flight, you should be basically untouchable. Attack, and flee to the skies – spend as little time as possible where they can reach you. If you have any other magics, use those to attack instead.” He looks to Kagerus, who has no wings but a horn. “You don’t have that advantage, but remember you can use your horn to keep your opponent at a distance – because you can strike with your horn, you have more reach.” Some go into a battle thinking that to use their traits almost exclusively is cowardice – but Brennen has always been in the camp that it’s better to fight smart than to fight hard.
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

I wrote you guys a novel instead of a post, I'm so sorry

Messages In This Thread
    RE: hold me in this wild, wild world; Solace & Kagerus - by Brennen - 03-16-2018, 10:35 PM