• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Waking up to Ash and Dust [Any of Tephra]
    magnus

howling ghosts, they reappear
    in mountains that are stacked with fear

Lucrezia comes, and it softens Magnus.

Enough that he can feel the immediate anger in him dissolving, at least slightly. The familiar feel of the winged mare by his side is enough for him to take a deep breath, turning toward her and touching the curve of her neck, grounding himself in her calming force. It takes the sizzle out of his blood and although there are demons beneath the surface that turn him dark and furious, it’s enough for him to hold them at bay, his gold-flecked eyes less immediately distrustful, his stance not one looking for a fight.

It’s enough that he even forces a laugh, shaking his head.

“I am always pleasant,” he reaches over and tugs her forelock before giving her a wink. “You know that.”

Such warmth bleeds slightly out of his expression when he turns it square on the new leader, but it is not as harsh as before—and the iron stallion has the winged mare to thank for it. Instead, Magnus gives him the time to answer, and he listens, truly listens. Giving him the chance he had promised himself he would.

The stallion speaks of a haven, mirroring the same words Magnus had often repeated in the volcanic land’s youth, and he nods. Not quite folding the subject entirely, but at least giving him some leeway. “It at least sounds like your heart is in the right place,” he finally says before falling silent, watching with thoughtful eyes as the family is introduced and then given leave, drawing together and moving away.

When Kromium turns back to them, Magnus gives a crooked ghost of a smile, “Trust is earned.” He has been around too long for his trust, his respect, to be given freely. He has seen too much, been surprised by those with honeyed tongues, to hand it over. It is a commodity and one that can only be bought by blood, sweat, and tears. “You seem to want honorable things, but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re still a stranger to me, to many here I wager, and you still have taken the mantle of leader upon yourself. It will take time and effort and sacrifice to prove you’re worthy of it. Such things cannot just be handed over.”

He gives a sideways glance to the mare at his side and he sighs, rolling his eyes.

“But I will at least give you a chance,” his whiskey voice is tinted with equal parts exasperation and steel. If this coltish stallion was to be this land’s leader, Magnus would at least give him time to prove he could handle it. He would at least give him time to find his footing before he wrote him off completely. But, and this is where the steel was unwavering, he would not hesitate to stand up should he falter—should Kromium prove to have less than honorable intentions. Magnus did not tolerate the weak or the cruel.

“And I will do what I can to help you.”

At the stallion’s inquiry, Magnus looks off into the distance, just the barest hint of a smile shadowing around his inky lips. “This time of day, everyone is usually relaxing around the land.” It was not the same bustling land it had been when he had left, but there was still life here—still families and love—and Magnus had spent too much days walking the borders and watching over them to not know where they settled. “I am sure it will not take everyone long to congregate should you choose to call them.”

Another pause before he shrugs.

“I can show you the best place to do that. It’s where you’ll be heard the easiest.”

but you're a king and I'm a lionheart

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Waking up to Ash and Dust [Any of Tephra] - by magnus - 09-04-2018, 10:35 PM