• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Nevi

I know you're trying to fight when you feel like flying.
    I can't see her face, but I can hear the smile in her voice, in the shape of the words and the tone as she says my name. I can't see her face, but I can feel the way her muscles move against me, feel the shift in her position as she turns to look at me even in the dark. I've caught myself doing the same more than a few times, turning to face her, just to look at her, just to let my eyes take her in. Noticing all the little spots where she's just begun to grey, wanting to reach out and touch each spot where the black has faded, like getting to know her all over again.

“That was a good idea,” I murmur, idly trailing the soft of my nose along the line of her shoulder. “These caves, they're a good place to take shelter. A lot nicer when there's somebody with you.” Pressed up against you, keeping you warm, driving you just a little bit crazy with the soft sighs and content little sleep sounds. Driving you a little crazier still when they shift in their sleep, brushing up against you, cuddling closer, curling into you like you're the safest place in the whole world.

“But alone is okay too in a pinch.” Maybe smarter even. I'm not stupid; I know I shouldn't be thinking about her like that. I shouldn't notice the way the dim starlight catches just so in the liquid depths of her dark brown eyes. I shouldn't think about her hair in the moonlight. I shouldn't think about the taste of her skin when I brush my lips against her. Holding her close like this should be something quiet and peaceful and innocent, and it is. Almost.

Almost.

“I've missed you too, Nevi,” she murmurs with her lips against my neck, and I turn my head to touch the corner of my lips to her cheek. I love the sound of my name on her lips, the way it always sounds like home. It will always remind me of the way she so gently turned away my demand that she call me Neverwas, because it was all I deserved. “You are my Nevi,” she had murmured, her lips so close to my skin. Just like now. “I will always call you that.” Seeing into the dark, and embracing it without reservation. She's the best friend anyone could ask for, so much better than I deserve.

I shouldn't want the taste of her on my lips. So I let out a slow, careful breath before drawing another one in and leaning into her. “Where did you go, Lee?” I ask, and the words mean more than I thought they would. I've missed her by my side, missed the way she burrows into my souls and lights me up from the inside. I've missed her voice, missed the way her forelock falls over her face, missed the feel of her next to me as I try to sleep.

I didn't put it together before, too busy riding the high of Dad's announcement, but she's been distant. Not upset, not angry or offended, nothing that obvious. This is quieter, subtler, not even written on her face or in her eyes. It's the space between our bodies, something in the way the air there trembles, I don't know. Maybe it's something small, a little extra weight to her words when she said she missed me. I haven't seen her in a week or more, and I can't remember the last time that happened. “Do you need to talk, love?”
    If you love me, don't let go.

Messages In This Thread
    Nevi - by Lieschel - 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Neverwas - 07-11-2016, 06:05 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Lieschel - 07-11-2016, 08:35 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Neverwas - 07-11-2016, 11:33 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Lieschel - 07-14-2016, 08:36 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Neverwas - 07-15-2016, 02:54 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Lieschel - 07-19-2016, 05:23 PM
    RE: Nevi - by Neverwas - 07-20-2016, 03:33 AM
    RE: Nevi - by Offspring - 07-20-2016, 04:46 AM
    RE: Nevi - by Lieschel - 07-20-2016, 07:43 AM