• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

love as thou wilt; isle & wyck

love as thou wilt

The world is full of sounds. Noise, my mother would say. For her it must be with the thoughts of others crashing in and out of her brain. But oh, the symphony the universe composes for me. Cacophonic at times, but still a song. The music plays from dawn til dusk. It calls my name, whispering of the delights I will find on my adventures. I close my eyes tight, imagining the lands beyond the Valley. The lands I will someday see.

You'll see the Meadow better with your eyes open.

An amused chuckle reaches my ears. My eyes shoot open, wide and golden, to meet the gaze of my mother.

Oh mama, really?” I exclaim. Excitement reverbrates through my body. My fledgling wings flutter as if joy could propel me to fly. I look at them a little mournfully. It will be ages yet before they can carry me. I tuck my disappointing feathered appendages against my side and look up at my mother. She is grinning.

I scowl.

Mom. Stop reading my mind!

Sorry, darling. Force of habit. Come along.

My Kushiel is right, I think as I trot along beside her. Mama can be very 'xasperating. I hope she is listening right now. I cock an ear but she makes no visible sign that she has heard my thoughts. I snort, and run ahead of her as if I know the way. Some day I will. Some day the Meadow will be as well known to me as the Valley.

We reach the expanse of land. It is emptier than I expected. I have a feeling that is why Mother chose dawn to visit here. She lets me look around on my own but I am never farther than a thought away. It's all Kushiel's fault. He had to go and be naughty so often that now I'm the one on a leash. I wrinkle my nose.

Go ahead, Namaah. I'm going to stretch my wings. I'll be here if you want me.

She gives me a playful nudge and canters away, wings spread. I watch with longing. It is hard to wait for the day when the skies will be mine, too. When she is a speck in the clouds, indistinguishable from the flocking birds, I look out over the grassy plain. My delight overtakes me and I sprint into an ungainly canter. Kushiel says I am beautiful, but I think I look awkward and too tall. My coat is gray and white, and my eyes are bright and golden. Two Osprey wings sprout from my shoulders, covered in downy flightless feathers. I am my brother's feminine minaiture.

I splash through a creek filled with chilly water, laughter bubbling up from my chest. It feels good to be free, to visit a new place and feel the wind ruffle my feathers as if I am flying. I drink in the sights eagerly, nearly losing my balance when I begin paying less attention to where my feet are. Finally, my sides heaving, I collapse in a fit of giggles under a massive oak tree.

I have never felt more like the world is mine than I do in this moment.

Namaah

Messages In This Thread
    love as thou wilt; isle & wyck - by Namaah - 10-08-2015, 06:47 PM
    RE: love as thou wilt; isle - by isle - 10-12-2015, 07:36 PM
    RE: love as thou wilt; isle & wyck - by wyck - 10-13-2015, 12:35 AM
    RE: love as thou wilt; isle & wyck - by Namaah - 10-13-2015, 08:04 PM