• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  in this world there's real and make believe

A rare flower from a land I’ve never seen, the fairy had said.

At first I had thought the task a simple one, but by the time I climbed back down to the base of the mountain, the weight of it has set in. My journey is not destined to be so simple as a ‘there and back’ trip like I had assured my fathers it would be. The sun overhead is three-quarters into its journey across the sky, and I know that by the time I reach the beach of Tephra it will already be well into sunset.

I can’t complete my quest andget home by dark like I’d promised. Indecision weighs on me, and I glance over my shoulder where the tall peak of the Mountain I’d just ascended is now hidden by the clouds, and then once more to the west.

Surely Papa had only made me promise because he thought I was too young to be out after dark? But he was wrong, I think, I am nearly two years old. I will be just fine, and even if I am not, I have my four hooves and antlers, and surely that’ll be good enough to protect me. With that decision made, I nod my head as if to cement my decision, and take the branch in the trail that does not lead me toward Ischia.

I emerge in the Field just as the red sunlight begins to bathe the autumn-colored grasses. The place is wide and flat, the largest meadow I have ever seen, and I spend some time racing across the flatlands, kicking up my heels and my plumed tail. When I finally slow, my pale chest heaves rapidly and I wear and elated smile. I had passed other horses in my brief and harmless rampage, but had stopped for none of them. This is a transient place, with everyone on their way somewhere else. I do not expect to find my flower here, but rather – someone who might be able to tell me where to look. I know recruiters for lands come to this place, and in the hopes of drawing them toward me I do my best to stand up straight and look as impressive as possible.

After a few minutes, I lose focus, and meander toward the stream for a drink.

A S E N A

i’d rather run the other way
    than stay and see the smoke and who’s still standing when it clears

Messages In This Thread
    in this world there's real and make believe - by Asena - 08-21-2020, 06:48 AM