• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

A Change in the Wind [Vida, Any]
    to live in a dream is to live with ambition
    Only a small while was spent on the worn path before the trees gradually became less, and soon white sand and a large stretch of water became visible ahead. As he crossed the threshold to his land, Hasenel released a loud and elated whinny to announce his return. Though only two other mares occupied the land with him, he knew they'd be near, and likely happy to meet their new companion.

The fire stallion came to a halt in the middle of the beach, the tide not quite reaching where he stood. On either side of him, miles of white sand stretched in either direction, but shaded areas provided an abundance of green grass.

"Are you satisfied?" he asked Vida, assuming the answer. How could she not be? Yet, this mare had not failed to surprise him. Maybe, she'd do it again, now.

Waiting for her response, Hasenel took in a deep breath of air. Neither Khalani or Jacksanna had responded to his call, but their scents, very distinct from one another, drifted in the air.

HASENEL
    lead stallion of island resort
    html by call
    Vida did not know what to expect when they arrived at the island resort. It wasn't an incredibly long journey, but long enough that she was getting anxious because she wanted to see it. At first, she couldn't, given the trees were still blocking her view, until she felt something different beneath her hooves. She looked down, seeing that some of the forest path was now not only a dark earth brown in color, but there were flecks of a lighter colored substance dotting it like an Appaloosa's pelt.

What was this? She'd never seen anything like this. The mare lowered her head, sniffing at the small white specks in the earth. Hasenel's neigh drew her from her investigation, and the mare loped in his direction. As she ran on, she could spot something blue, and more of the white specks in between the trees. Seeing that excited her, so she picked up her speed, intent on reaching the stallion and seeing his home for the first time.

When Vida reached where Hasenel was standing, and took a look around, her eyes widened in shock. The white stretched on for miles on either side of her. In front of her stretched a large body of water, an ocean she remembered, its color such a brilliant blue it would've been a perfect match to her dam's eyes. She could see a couple of shaded spots covered by trees, where some grass also grew beneath them to provide food.

Vida almost didn't hear the stallion ask her his question, but she really didn't need to. As she looked on at the place before her, the mare could hardly get out two words.

"It's... it's... beautiful..." Nothing more was said by the grulla dun mare before she reared high in the air and sprinted off toward the ocean. Never before had she lived near one, but she had heard stories of it. She only went in so far that the water can up to her knees, but that was so she could kick up her legs in the water and have fun splashing it around. Even at three, and a full-grown mare, well able to care for herself, Vida loved to have fun, and this was the perfect opportunity.

A happy neigh echoed from Vida's muzzle as she splashed in the ocean water, breathing in the salty scent. Her nostrils flared, wet mane flopping down onto her neck as she headed a little deeper into the ocean, enjoying the cool liquid around her dark fur.
    When Vida told him the land was beautiful, and appeared a bit awe-struck as she said it, Hasenel was relieved. She genuinely approved of his home, and what was now her home, too. The mare then suddenly started forward, and Hasenel watched as she plunged into the water, her spirits elevated. With joy he watched her enjoy play in the water, until he too charged forward and made his way into the shallow waves.  

Playfully he nipped at wet strands of Vida's mane, knowing the mare would probably try to get him back for it. Her spirit and want for independence was alluring--he could relate to such things--but with any luck she'd see it was worth her while to stay in this herd, and that Hasenel would find a way to put her desires to use.
    HASENEL
    html by call
    Vida neighed playfully as the stallion raced into the ocean to join her. He nipped at her mane, something which the mare got him back for by nipping at his withers playfully. To avoid letting him get back at her for that, the mare treaded deeper into the ocean to the point where her hooves no longer touched the sand that lay beneath.

The cool water around her skin did wonders in soothing her, making her feel relaxed as she swam through the water with great efficiency. She felt free when running, but definitely moreso doing this. Here, being able to swim through the water, it was absolutely wonderful. She let her head rest on the water's surface as she swam, a content smile appearing on her face.
    When the mare ventured into deeper waters, Hasenel followed. As none of his other mares seemed in need of his attention, he thought it would be a good time to find out about Vida, before offering a tour of her new home.

"What should I know about you, Vida?" Hasenel asked, kicking his hooves beneath the water to stay afloat near her. "I don't want you to feel trapped here, yet I don't want you to leave, either. The more I know about what's important to you, the more I can make sure this becomes a comfortable home for you."

His consideration was sincere--echoing the wisdom and rule of his father before him. As a colt and juvenile stallion, Hasenel had often watched his father make the kingdom rounds, seeing that he listened to the needs and concerns of each member with genuine interest. What was more, Hasenel saw how the mares and other stallions respected his father for it, and gained their trust in a way any budding king would envy.
    HASENEL
    html by call
    Vida was surprised that Hasenel worked to catch up with her as she swam into the deeper waters. Either he was incredibly persistent, or he genuinely wanted to have fun. Something she did figure he was incapable of, considering he was a herd stallion and had a lot of responsibilities most likely, but perhaps even she could be wrong at times.

Thinking both of them would get tired rather quickly from talking and swimming, Vida motioned with her head for him to follow her back to shore. When she reached the shallow waters that came to her pasterns, the mare gave her body a good shake to get rid of the excess water falling from her fur. Her winter coat was already starting to grow in even though the season had hardly even started. A lot of water still hung to her, so it made her pelt appear a darker color than normal. Almost black, if one looked closely.

Giving her neck a shake as well to dry out her mane, the mare looked at Hasenel once she'd done all she could for now, "I don't know what there is to know about me honestly. I'm not really going to feel trapped out here. There's plenty of space to go running, and the ocean is great for exercise and swimming. There's shelter, food, water, everything you all need to survive here. Beyond that, and the need for running, there's nothing incredibly important to me in order to be happy."

Snorting away from the stallion, the mare snorted to get rid of some water lurking in her nostrils. "What about you?" she questioned.
    After following the mare to more shallow waters, Hasenel listened intently as she told him that her needs weren't much, and what ones she did have, his land easily provided. "I suppose I will rely on you, then, to tell me if you ever are needing something more," he returned.

Vida then asked about him, which any of his mares had yet to do. He probably wouldn't have noticed, either, being so concerned with their well being as a first time lead stallion, had Vida not said something.

Though it wasn't much, he appreciated her consideration.

"I only have two needs that must be met to be happy," he replied with thought. "To become king like my sire before me, and to share such responsibilities with a queen--a mare who is wise, kingdom-minded and loyal. Though I will provide each of my mares a foal when they're ready, only those born to my queen will be heirs."

Hasenel then thought that Vida was already showing signs for fitting into such a future, but more time would need to pass to be sure, and of course, she'd have to willingly agree to it. His decision for queen wouldn't be based on feelings near so much as ability to handle the job well. Waiting for Vida's reply, he wondered how the mare would respond to the honesty he'd given her.

HASENEL
    html by call
    Vida thought her needs - wishes, really - were simple enough that this stallion's land could provide it without any problems. She was pleased with that, and the fact Hasenel told her that she could tell him whenever she did need anything. Vida didn't see that happening any time soon, but when it did, for some reason, she would tell him. This was his land, he was the leader after all. Anything he said had to be done would be done.

Thank goodness she didn't have any wishes beyond what she'd already told him. Vida had a feeling that he wouldn't appreciate if she started getting crazy with her demands.

The grulla dun mare listened carefully, intently, as Hasenel offered an explanation to her question about what he wished for. Simple, like hers, and yet not-so-simple at the same time. To become king, one had to be smart not only on the battlefield, but when it came to dealing with other horses. Handling things the wrong way would only lead to trouble. Just the slightest slip of the tongue could lead to major problems boiling within the kingdom.

He also wanted to share his kingdom with a queen ruling by his side. That sounded a little familiar to Vida; herds that she'd come across, as well as the one she'd lived in for that brief time, had a mare that was referred to as the 'boss', alongside the stallion. Supposedly, it was a mare who was favored above the others. For whatever reasons she was favored, Vida didn't really care. She only did care if the mare started to show arrogant behavior, abuse of her position, or the ability to come up with nothing but stupid ideas doomed to fail.

Hopefully none of the mares here are like that.

Hasenel also said that even with a queen, he'd provide his mares foals when they were ready. Vida almost snorted out loud at the thought; a bit arrogant aren't we? The mare would do most of the work for the foal; feeding it, keeping it safe, cleaning it, teaching it how to survive, and providing a safe place to sleep. At the same time though, the knowledge of Hasenel being king, like a lead herd stallion, told her something different. He would be willing to protect his land, his mares and their foals, from the dangers that lay outside. She'd seen other herd stallions do that as well, but never with a lot of gusto. If the stallion knew a mare and/of her foal was doomed, the stallion would lead the herd away, and the two horses to die.

Once Hasenel was done speaking, Vida composed her own thoughts. What could she say to that? She came up with a response that was as good as Hasenel would receive as she looked at the fire chestnut stallion. Her proud eyes met his, and she lifted her head, standing up tall as she spoke.

"Wishes that seem simple, but at the same time, not. I can see why too; it's not easy finding a lead ma-a queen, how you call it. Seems like there's bound to be one mare to fit into that position though. I just hope the one you find doesn't make any moves that'll send this kingdom into turmoil. With how pretty it is, that'd be a shame."

As she finished off what she had the say, the mare's gaze drifted away from the stallion and over to the kingdom around them, her eyes once again filling with that fiery spirit need to go run and explore. Of course, she had a feeling it wouldn't be appreciated, not now at least. Hasenel might have more to say, and he'd called out to some other horses earlier, horses whom he must have wanted to meet Vida.

Problem was, she didn't know if she wanted to meet them.
    The mare recognized the complexity that followed a destiny only simply put when said. But perhaps his kingdom wouldn't happen here, on this land he had claimed. After all, it was just a small portion of something larger, and what other stallions held higher ranks than him in the surrounding area he'd soon find out. Maybe, it was a good idea to get a start on that now.

"As do I," he replied. "But I ought to check on my other mares now, and you are free to do as you like. As some point in the near future, I will assemble a gathering of all of us, so you may be introduced and hopefully feel as though you have gained some friends."

Hasenel then bowed his head to the sand, his nose almost touching the soft white grains, before lifting it again. "Call immediately if you need me, but until then..."

The fire stallion then turned from Vida and trotted off down the length of the beach, his head high and mane whipping in the wind, ready to attend to other duties.
    HASENEL
    html by call
    Dipping her head as both an acknowledgement that she understood he would issue a meeting soon, and as a farewell, Vida watched Hasenel trot away to, as he said, go check on his mares. The grulla dun wondered a moment how many others were here, in his kingdom, but supposed she shouldn't bother with those thoughts right now. She would probably find out at this meeting Hasenel would soon be calling the kingdom together for.

So, with that out of her mind, and only thoughts of enjoying her time for the remainder of the day, Vida took off, sprinting down the line of where the sand and the ocean met, enjoying the water being sprayed up onto her mane and skin as she galloped off to explore.