• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  you said there's a nursery where all the stars came to life

Nemeon had received an answer on the mountain, but left with a little more confusion. He had been so wrapped up in his thoughts that he had been frozen mid-stride by the first rays of the sun. There he remained throughout the day, oblivious to how sunlight had turned to cloud, and then cloud to a thunderstorm in the late afternoon that rolled across the mountains and drenched the land. A pair of sparrows took refuge in the fold of his wing, chirps echoing slightly against his stone skin.

It is hard to say who was more surprised - Nemeon or the sparrows - when the sun sets behind the thunderclouds and life returns to him. He balked first at the heavy rain and rolling thunder, and then at the feel of feathers tickling his side - and the small birds flew off squawking when his wing shifted and their haven was no more.

First bewildered into standing there stunned, and now growing colder by the moment as he became drenched, Nemeon made for the forest and the refuge it would provide from the storm that continued to clash angrily overhead.

Once underneath the trees that were showing signs of autumn, there was no space to stretch his wings and get the excess water off of them. The feel of the rivulets running across the membranes of them is distracting, almost ticklish, and it further feeds a disgruntled mood. He picks a direction and moves at a slow, brooding pace through the shadowy underbrush - forgetting, just for a moment, his quest and sitting instead in the discomfort that has started this evening.

NEMEON

@Allaire
    Nemeon is radioactive
    Those that touch him may experience metallic taste, nosebleed, nausea, headache, hair loss and/or skin lesions.
    Symptoms become worse with prolonged exposure and onset is accelerated when exposed to his blood.
    i can’t stop you putting roots in my dreamland,
    my house of stone, your ivy grows, and now i’m covered in you

She had survived, but she could not help but to wonder what kind of prize that was.

This land was beautiful but it was treacherous, and although she is not sure if it is worth the price, it is one she is forced to pay. She still could not seem to find her way out of here; it was as if the clouds themselves conspired to keep her here, twisting around her sense of direction so that no matter which way she flew she only ever stayed in Beqanna’s skies. Just as she had come here by accident, she reluctantly has come to accept that it would likely be another stroke of luck that allowed her to leave.

She would like it here, she thinks, if only she ever had a chance to adjust. If only the land did not constantly pitch itself in ways that caused it to come apart and change entirely, always turning into something unrecognizable. It left her nerves on edge, as if she could not afford to become comfortable with anything because it was going to change on any given day.

Tonight though, it is just rain.

Though she had eyed the skies suspiciously—was it ever ‘just rain’ here?—and the sound of thunder rolling overhead had tightened a knot of anxiety in her chest, she quieted her uneasy thoughts with the reassurance that it had rained and stormed here hundreds of times and it didn’t always indicate something awful was about to happen. Despite this, she made her way into the forest, seeking shelter from the cold drops that spilled from the autumn sky, the soft glow of her light trailing behind her.

She hears him walking through the brush just before he comes into sight, and immediately she shies to a stop. “Oh…sorry,” she says, her eyes wide as if she had been caught trespassing — and perhaps she has. The borders here are constantly changing, and to her everything felt like some secret the rest of the world was in on except her. Perhaps it was common knowledge that this area of forest belonged to the black stallion with gold cutting across his skin. “I was just trying to get out of the rain.”
    Allaire

@Nemeon

He is always fascinated by the variety of creatures that live here in Beqanna - and it only seems to be growing more varied as the lands roll through their bizarre changes. Tonight, the mare that appears in the rain-soaked woods is illuminated by a gentle light, and Nemeon is dazzled by her delicate appearance: the gentle butterfly wings at her side, the colours that belong in a world he has never seen except in his torturous daydreams - a wildflower meadow under a spring sun.

The horned stallion's life is so filled with apologies he doesn’t think twice about how unnecessary hers is - there rarely seems to be a night spent without him uttering those words to someone, or something, as he continuously works on balancing his toxic existence with the desire to live.

So while he doesn’t tell her she has no reason to apologize, he’ll attempt to sooth away the worries that sparked it - a soft smile in those golden eyes as he replies quietly. “That’s what I was doing too.”

Perhaps we could do so together Nemeon thinks but doesn’t say. Because he knows he should move on, he knows they should just keep this as a brief, chance meeting while the rain continues to fall on the canopy overhead.

As if not speaking about it directly, but still attempting to evoke the same result, will absolve him of the guilt of what will happen if they were to draw too close to one another, or spend too much time in the same vicinity.

It is a twisted logic, sure - it's also all that he has keeping him sane. He does not want to leave, and does not want her to move on just yet either, so he asks instead - “Does that light always follow you?”

NEMEON

@Allaire
    Nemeon is radioactive
    Those that touch him may experience metallic taste, nosebleed, nausea, headache, hair loss and/or skin lesions.
    Symptoms become worse with prolonged exposure and onset is accelerated when exposed to his blood.

She does not recognize the danger that lurks within him, but her own cautious nature keeps her from moving closer anyway. Even though she was intrigued by most everyone she has met here she could not shake the feeling that they were hiding something that she could not see—she thinks of the boy who had been invisible entirely, and the other boy illuminated by fire. It only makes sense that the residents must be as unpredictable as the land itself—beautiful but dangerous, enchanting but sharp-edged.

But she has been alone for so long, and the rain is still falling from the sky in that relentless way that made it seem as if there would be no end to it. She would take her chances with sharing shelter with a stranger; he did not seem overtly threatening. His voice was quiet, his eyes soft in an almost melancholy kind of way, and though she felt something tug inside of her chest she does not allow herself to shift any closer.

She would have then let themselves fall into a comfortable silence—almost silent, that is,  save for the sound of the rain—if not for his question. She tilts her head to look at the fading light that still lingered from when she had shifted her wings, before looking back to him with a small smile. “It does, but I’m not sure why,” she takes a step sideways as she says this as if in demonstration, the light illuminating from some inexplicable place before once again dissolving back into nothing since it had no movement to trail. “I can’t control it, though. It just appears when I move.”

Allaire pauses for a moment, considering whether or not she wants to say anything, but decides to grasp the opportunity to ask him: “What about you? Do you have any…gifts?”
    Allaire

I forgot I had started this before we even went to new york Smile @Nemeon

His golden eyes watch with fascination as she takes a step to demonstrate the light - and his gaze lingers on it, greedily taking in every glowing molecule until it fades away and leaves them in the rainy darkness. Nemeon often feels like he's just a large moth, without all the hairiness involved - drifting (whether physically or just emotionally, like he is now) towards it.

“It’s beautiful.” He tells her honestly, keeping himself rooted to his spot. The light doesn’t linger long enough to be of any help if she were to lose her way, but just its presence tugs at Nemeon’s heart - makes him over-romanticize the idea of it, even though light such a commonplace thing for almost everyone in the world. “You'll never be left in the darkness.” So long as she kept moving - but, still - that was something.

The word ‘gifts’ makes Nemeon wince, snapping him out of his light-infused dream - that word landing on him and needling into his skin. He knows she didn’t mean anything by it - she couldn’t have possibly. And it’s hardly her fault that, as old as he is, these facts about his life and who he is still weigh on him instead of becoming things he accepts and has gotten over.

He shakes his head, his expression tight with exhaustion. “Not any that I’d call gifts. I turn into a statue when the sun rises, and only transform back into a… breathing creature when it sets again.” He’s lying by omission, not telling her the other thing hidden by his skin - but this moment was already so fragile and Nemeon does not want to be the one to shatter it. Not until absolutely necessary. And she seems as cautious as he - so there may never be a need at all.

NEMEON

@Allaire
    Nemeon is radioactive

“No, I suppose that I won’t,” she concedes with a small smile. She has never really been the type to be afraid of the dark, but she must admit that it is reassuring knowing that she will never be entirely encompassed by it. For now, her light is limited to only appearing as an echo to her movements, but sometimes she finds herself hoping that she might someday learn to summon it at will. She has seen others capable of it, and while she is not really the type to be envious, she could not deny that she did feel a twinge of longing at the sight of it.

The topic shifts, and she regrets asking him if he possessed anything when she reads the expression on his face.

She should have known better—she has been here long enough to know that so many here harbored things that felt more like curses rather than gifts. Beqanna, she had come to find, is flooded with magic, but it is just as cruel as it is beautiful. She thinks of the man forced to be invisible to anyone that has not witnessed death, and the other boy surrounded by fire, and she wishes that she could take back her words when Nemeon reveals his own plight. “Oh,” she says softly, the weight of her regret falling into that single syllable, her mind grasping for a way to apologize without it sounding as if she pities him. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pried,” she says with a shake of her pale head, and a tentative smile. “And I didn’t even introduce myself, did I? My name is Allaire.”
    Allaire

@Nemeon

So far, Nemeon had never met someone with abilities that could rival his in terms of how downright depressing they could be. Even though Anaise’s could be cruel, showing him what he wished for, it was still beautiful - still marvelous. If he ever paused to think about it, he would realize that of course there would be parallels - even worse things - out there in the world. But Nemeon never did pause to think about it.

Out of habit, he is quick to shake his head at her apology - lingering on it despite the fact that she does make the attempts to move on. “It’s not your fault - I think most abilities probably are gifts so it’s usually a safe question. I am just unlucky enough to be cursed instead.” It sounds bitter, even to his own ears, and Nemeon’s belatedly ashamed about sulking so obviously - making a small face at himself as though he had just tasted something sour. There are habits that are hard to break, despite the fact that he really is delighted to be sharing space with someone.

He makes some effort in that moment to accept her tentative smile and the opportunity she provides him to focus on something else. “I’m Nemeon, and I’d like to say I’m normally not such a drag but I don’t know if that’s really true anymore.” His golden eyes flash with a small smile at this little self-deprecating joke. It lightens his mood a little - and he does his best to cling to that brightening and let him inspire him. No point in allowing himself to linger in the dark thoughts when he’s already physically, perpetually, trapped in darkness. Right?

Speaking of the dark - that at least gives him a little idea and his golden eyes warm in a more sincere smile - allowing himself to feel the joy and hope that bubble within him hidden among the rest of his usual emotions. “Since the rain does not seem to be letting up, would you like to see one of my favourite places in the forest? It isn’t far.”

NEMEON

@Allaire
    Nemeon is radioactive