• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [private]  looks like i'm learning the hard way again
    For @Mesarez

The strength it takes to crack the mussel shell is enough to exhaust me, and I lower the black tentacle that holds it back into the shallow water rather than lifting it to either mouth to eat. I close all four of my eyes, and matching sighs emerge from each of my dark mouths as I sink beneath the surface.

The water is gentle against my body; and I am grateful that this river does little more than ripple. Freshwater has few merits, and I am loathe to count any more than I must. Time passes, and I gather my strength.

Submerged a few feet beneath the slow moving river, I pull the heart of the mussel closer, and swallow it with my snipped mouth. My other head remains turned toward the surface, watching the edge of the water with customary wariness. Encounters with the landwalkers were no longer as infrequent as I wish it to be, and constant vigilance is nearly as exhausting as the illness that has progressively sapped my strength.