• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  swimming in the smoke.
    When he returns to these old haunts, it is quiet, the slip of a blade between bones. The foothills of the Mountain, where the unrelenting river wends its way between the Meadow and the Forest, are where he found himself whiling away his days – as if one day his home might reappear just as suddenly as it had disappeared. But this place will never again be the Beqanna of his youth, the Chamber and all of its memories swallowed hungrily by the passage of time, the erosion of war and magic. He makes his way down the goat path, his steps instinctively silenced, his scarred body lined with the wild confidence of a master of his craft and a dozen lifetimes of experiences.

The sky is just barely lightening when the steep trail begins to level out. A thick fog drifts along the surface of the River, seeping out onto its banks to eddy around his legs and creep up his sides and over his back. It is cold, clinging to the matted dreads of his mane just as the loneliness clings to his soul, filling his lungs with the dampness of fall and aimlessness. It muffles the sound of the River but he finds its edge easy enough, his senses naturally heightened. In no hurry, he wades ankle-deep into a shallow ford, dropping his head to get a drink.

As he drinks, his eyes close. When he closes his eyes she is there, nutmeg just as bright as his own and sparkling with a mischief outmatched only by his own, and his body reacts sharply, viscerally. His head snaps up so hard the vertebrae pops, his eyes still closed, water spilling from his mouth. “Nera,” he breathes reverently. He warms as Nazul slips alongside him, the scent of flowers and fire filling his lungs. Generally fearless, he fears now, fears that they will slip away just as easily as they have come, but the memories of long-lost pieces of his soul flood and surround him. Bright eyes strain forward underneath the mismatched white and black of his lids, as if he can beckon his little roan lover closer with the formidable force of his will. Muscles stilled beneath his pockmarked coat, his skin reaches for the intangible touch of his phoenix, as if here, too, his will can draw her across the reaches and return her to his side. He does not know how long he stands there, his breath suspended in his lungs … His hearts thrums uncontrollably in his chest as they begin to fade, slipping away from him despite his desperate clinging to their ethereal presence.

When he finally opens his eyes, he is alone yet again, his surroundings speaking of hours passed in the space of few moments. The fog has been almost completely burned away by the sun that now hangs lazily in the clear mid-morning sky. With a low snort, he drinks again before turning back to the bank from where he came, trying to quell the despairing thrum of a soul untethered.

oof, so rusty. <3

all things are poisons

for there is nothing without poisonous qualities.

I had been there when my mother tried to resurrect the Chamber that she talked so fondly about. The residents of Pangea threw a hissy fit, the old residents of the Chamber decided it wasn’t good enough. To me, a girl who has never loved a land or seen any reason to love a land, none of it made any sense. Was it not just a place to rest your weary bones? A place that you could return to and know you wouldn’t be shunned from its borders? Did it matter what it looked like?

Of course, as a child of this Beqanna, I have no way of knowing what the old lands were like. My mother told me stories, but they were only stories and though she did not lie about anything, I never entirely believed her either. A heart buried beneath the ground? A flaming prophecy tree? They are not far fetched, necessarily…but still. I have my doubts.

Or maybe they aren’t even doubts. Maybe I just don’t care. Maybe it’s just not my cup of tea.

No, I come and go as a please, as much a ghost as the ones I hear all around me. The day has not even truly dawned when I begin to move, slipping through the fog that I don’t blend into. Still, I move like a wraith - quiet and watchful. The real wraiths chatter around me, trying to grab my attention. I ignore them, though I take a moment to stop and listen to them now and again. Over the years I have grown used to their noise and can, should I choose, tune them out. I generally choose not too though. Never know what they might say.

Eventually, as the fog is beginning to lift, I stumble upon another living soul. A stallion, black and white. The chittering ghosts grow quiet now besides their whispered warnings. They can only know what they have seen of him as he’s been here, unless one of them happens to know him from some lifetime past, but I’ve come to learn that the ghosts are good judges of character. They do not trust him. I smile at this. ”Hello,” I say, having never been good at small talk or icebreakers. ”Lovely morning, isn’t it?” My smile and tone are just a bit sarcastic. It’s cold and damp and not exactly lovely, but I’ve seen far worse. Also, I did mention that small talk and icebreakers are not my thing, right?

it is only the dose that matters

iris

photo by cottonbro

@ Set