• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[challenge] I love the trouble and the trouble loves me; Mazikeen
    So the definition of empathic echoes says that you can "send and receive memories" - both send and receiving are active. You wouldn't just see memories unless another character was actively allowing you to do so. The line that actually caught me the most here was in your second post and it reads:" The memories that curl around her are new now, different from the cruel ones of earlier. It is easy for him to see that her heart is not in this. Strange. It’s as though she does not truly wish to fight him." - this early in the battle, Mazikeen is definitely not sending memories that Reave would pick up on. Going back to the definition, Reave would realistically pick up on "emotional residue of events", so it would have been more reasonable to say that she felt happier, like past events recently had been better than last time (but with, you know, better words, haha).

I actually wasn't looking at this in relation to the attack so much, if only because I think there could in theory be an argument made that she was so out of control it's highly likely she was accidentally sending those memories. That said, to be extra cautious it would probably be better to just sense emotions (since she's literally living in emotional residue right there) rather than actually seeing the memories. But honestly, I think this was pretty well done. It was that earlier comment that caught me more (and I did run it by the other officers to see if they agreed with that interpretation of the definition in case I was off, but we did think it was a stretch - maybe better to call it an overreach of a trait rather than powerplay though, if I'm nitpicking myself here).

Does that help/make sense?