• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

better than pretending, any
    Divinity
    She is not the first lucky one, but she is lucky.
    She is born without any idea how many have come before her and her mother does not tell her. Her mother, whose brow is kissed by the sun. Her mother, who has abandoned more children than she has ever cared for.

But her mother had been reborn once (twice, three times, so many times she has lost count) and something had changed. Not only was she reborn indestructible but there came a heart, too. Maternal instinct. It is incredible the things dying can do to you.

The first was a daughter, gold just like her mother, and maybe this softened their mother to her. And then a son who sprang forth from her ribs. She had cared for them dutifully, Bible. Not because she had learned from any of her mistakes but because it had become a natural thing.

And now a second daughter, solid gold, too. Solid gold and haloed, with light spilling from her mouth. And Bible takes her to the playground where she might find playmates. Just as any dutiful mother would. And the girl teeters into their midst, only days old. So small that she hardly disturbs the grass when she moves.

There is so much light, the sun glinting off the sharp points of her shoulders and hips. And she tilts her head and watches the mother leave her there with the promise that she, too, is indestructible. So she blinks her golden eyes and fears nothing at all when she sways toward the nearest child and says, “what’s your name?” Because this is what her mother told her to ask. And then she remembers what else her mother told her and says, “my name is Divinity.

Everything you taught me still rattles in my head
    I’m staying off main street, you’re talking to the dead