• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  The Dark Lines of My Happy Heart
    So beautiful and awe inducing. The roaring of the water as it crashed into the lake below. Rays from the sun were making the mist sparkle and gleam. But at the same time it was a terror of nature, something so powerful that could only be stopped by nature itself. Rinala stood silently, barely flicking an ear as she watched the waterfall, mesmerized. She stood close enough that her dark coat was drenched several shades darker in the icy water and her long mane and tail were dampened by the spray. She seemed hypnotized, frozen in a place of beauty and chaos. The thoughts rushing through her head were muddled together and she was left in a haze, unsure of where she was or what to do. Several moments passed until she grew conscious of her surroundings and slowly lowered her head. She let her muzzled graze the top of the cold water. She wasn't thirsty, but the water brought her back to her senses. She let out a quiet breath and turned quickly, pushing into a trot and gliding away from the fall.

The cool air was hitting her now and her damp body began to shiver as she slowed to a walk. The winter sun seemed unable to break through the cold and dry her coat. She shook her body violently, hoping to fling off the water. She shook her and laughed at her own foolishness. What a stupid thing to do. She chided herself. Not bothering to think any more, she leaped into a slow gallop, tossing her head to shake the water from her mane. She gave a joyful whinny and a few small bucks. A good feeling settled over her. The feeling of excitement, of something new, of something unknown. I love the unknown. She whispers. 

The further he ventures outside of Brilliant Pampas, the more his confidence grows. With each passing day the spotted colt finds himself making his way further through the common lands. His heart races with every new discovery and a sense of adventure bursts within him. It doesn't take long for him to discover the field and the few that currently frequented it. With a flutter of his wings he drops from the sky and lands among the tall grasses, his eyes bright and his ears pricked forward as he takes in his surroundings.

The air was cold, yet tolerable despite winter having settled it's firm grip across the lands of Beqanna. Though that being said, he had yet to grow used to the cold. His mother had done an excellent job over the years of keeping him warm and safe from the elements and only now was he growing accustomed to the changes in the weather. As he stood there observing the land that stretched out before him, goosebumps traveled across his skin and small shivers began to dance underneath his coat. "Sheesh," he muttered quietly under his breath. 

The increasing sensitivity to the damp cold was beginning to take its toll and he is almost ready to turn back towards the Brilliant Pampas when he notices the sound of thundering hooves. With a newfound curiosity blooming within him, the spotted colt turns his head towards the sound of the whinny that follows and catches sight of the liver chestnut mare. Her playful antics brings a sort of gentle happiness that flows through him and with a few steps forward Picard moves into a trot, heading towards the other. "Hello," he calls as he makes his way closer. "I see you're enjoying yourself," a small smile dances across his lips as he comes to a stop nearby.

PICARD

"the road from legitimate suspicion to rampant
    paranoia is very much shorter than we think."

@Rinala
    Rinala's pace was slowed when spotted a small figure approaching. Her reaction is not at all surprising as she tilts her head, examining the nearing horse and already filled with curiosity. A soft smile spreads on her face when she sees that the horse is young. What is such a small colt doing alone? She questions herself, moving forward slowly to greet the palomino. "Hello to you too!"  When the colt's words reach her ears she can't help from laughing. "Of course! What is there not to enjoy?" she says with a cheerful tone. 
      She blows a puff of warm air towards the colt, smiling at the clouds it makes in front of her nose. "What about you?" she questions the young horse. Rinala had glanced around the area and spotted no other horses, so he must be here alone? Were colts and fillies really allowed to go out alone? She sincerely had no clue. Her mother had kept her by her side until Rinala ran off as a two year old. But then again, Rinala thought, my mother was a little bit weird, and obsessed with keeping me safe. Breaking from her thought she whispers to the colt. "Are you supposed to be here alone?" Maybe he had just run away like she had. "I mean it doesn't matter to me! But I just want to make sure you're safe." she says, smiling widely. If he was allowed to be out alone, then perhaps she could befriend him! She'd had a few colts and fillies as friends and they were always lots of fun to explore with. In fact, she acted more like a filly than a mare, so she always had lots of fun with younger horses.

He had never really had the opportunity to truly play when he was even younger. His socialization had been kept to between his mother and the creatures that resided within Beqanna and few equines had ever been allowed to get close to him. The only other horse that he remembered well enough from the past two years was Gossip. While she hadn't been directly blood related, the mare had been a sort of mentor, helping shape his mind so that he grew into a well rounded two year old despite her own differences and dark nature.

So when he sees this mare so free and playful he's almost confused despite being positively entertained. "I'm not necessarily having fun," he responds softly. "Though that's only because it's so cold and I'm not used to it," he smiles awkwardly. The cold truly was one of his weaknesses. That being said the weather had done nothing to encourage Evarae to stop her child from leaving the Pampas to explore the outside world. While her motherly instincts had been almost too in tune, by the time Picard had turned two the excitement of having him as a son had worn off and she was nothing if not more than eager to push him out of the nest. To her and many others in Beqanna, two years old was a milestone and the time where every little horse had to grow up and learn how to handle life on their own.

"My mother prefers it at this point," he says with confidence in response to her concern. "She's pushed me out of the nest so to speak," he shifts his weight as he says this and stands a little taller. "It's alright though, I like to explore." His smile returns then at the thought of his adventures. "Why are you here alone? Are you looking for a home?" His inquiry almost comes like second nature and without knowing it, his mother's knack of diplomacy is flowing through him like some sort of inherited trait.

PICARD

@Rinala
    A sympathetic look fell across Rinala's face when the colt mentioned the cold. Now that she noticed he did look quite chilled. She lifted her eyes, gazing over the landscape for a place that was perhaps more protected from the wind. Her mind filled with worry of the little palomino. She didn't even know the colts name, but she had inherited a slightly less obsessive worry from her mother, so her thoughts were now to help the colt. Before she could redirect their direction and head to a sheltered spot her eyes widened in surprise when the colt spoke again. Some mothers actually let their foals go so easily! Her face was flooded with surprise for a split second before a smile took over at the colts mention of exploration. Her excited response almost slept out her lips, but the colts next words caught her tongue. She stilled, her eyes growing darker. She lets her gaze fall on the colt in front of her, not sure what to say. 

Even she didn't know why she was here, what was she supposed to tell someone else. A flood of thoughts stormed through her head as she tried to accumulate a reasonable sounding response. She wasn't looking for a home, she didn't want a home, ever. The only experience she'd ever had with a home was the place her mother forced her to stay. And she had hated it. After running away, she'd spent the last three years roaming about. And in that time, she had been through quite a few things. Living on the move constantly wasn't easy for a mare, no matter how confident and courageous she was. But some train of events had brought her here, to bask in the icy spray of the waterfall. And now to meet a cold little colt. There really wasn't anything that special to say.

"I don't have anyone to be here with." she says with a a short laugh. Pausing, and putting a smile on her face, she looks at the colt. "No. I don't want a home." she says in a bright tone. Why does that sound feel wrong to say happily. The thought flashed through her mind but she ignores it with another laugh. Turning her head slightly, she points towards a small cluster of trees. "Do you want to head over there? It seems like it would be more protected and warm there." she says with a smile. A slight shiver running down her spine had reminded her of her damp, cold coat and the chilly colt in front of her. "By the way, my name is Rinala!" she tells the horse. 

There was no need to worry about him, and when he spotted her looks of sympathy and surprise his smile strengthened as a sort of reassurance. Maybe it was different to her, to see him so young and alone, but for him it was perfectly natural. His desire to explore was much stronger then the desire to stay home. Though home was more than boring. Hidden away in their nest the lack of socialization had slowly taken it's toll. If Evarae hadn't pushed him from the nest he was sure that he would have 'jumped out of it' on his own.

"I guess we're similar in that aspect," he chuckles in response to her being alone. "I don't have any friends... Yet." At least there was no one he could call his friend. Unless he considered Gossip. Though lately he so rarely saw her that he wasn't convinced she wasn't dead. It's when she mentions not wanting a home though that his ears prick and his eyes sparkle in a sort of curiosity.

"Do you like not having a home? Do you get to explore a lot of new things and places?" His draw to adventure was a strong one. The world had not yet taken it's toll on his upbeat nature. He wanted to see and learn about any and everything he possibly could. If he could hear her thoughts, the colt would have said it wasn't wrong. Somewhere deep inside of him he would have understood. He watches as her head turns and she mentions the trees. A slight nod in agreement had him stepping forward towards them. "I think that would be a good Idea, Rinala," he says her name gently in acknowledgement of both her suggestion and introduction.

With light steps he continues forward before looking back at her out of the corner of his eye as his gold and white butterfly wings flutter slightly. "I'm Picard."

PICARD

@Rinala
     Rinala couldn't help but smile at the colts words. He already seemed like such a friendly horse. The palominos next words were met with a silence as Rinala tilted her head, trying to word out a reply. When the colt replied and smiled and followed. Hearing her name from another horse always made her smile. She didn't know why. The colts introduction brings an even wider smile to her face. "Well, Picard, " she begins, pausing slightly, "I've only had one home in my entire life, and I didn't like it at all. So I left" she explains as she follows behind the fluttering colt. The colts beautiful wings had caught her eye from the start and a gentle envy struck her as she wished to be able to fly. But she continued to smile, thinking of all the things she had been able to do. "Oh yes!" she exclaims, her voice already turning in excitement. "I've had all sorts of adventures and fun. I've seen so many beautiful and amazing things!" her voice is rising with joy as she recalls some of her adventures. 

As the two reach the trees she pauses her talk to step carefully through clusters of roots until she reaches the thickest part of the small grove. The cold winter wind barely reaches and the trees offer a cozy sort of protection. Rinala sighs happily and moves to the side to leave a space for Picard. She nods to the colt to come settle against the trees. "Of course, living on the move and alone can be hard, and dangerous. But you get the hang the hang of it, and its all worth it." she tells the colt. "For me at least." she says with a quiet laugh.