• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Like the ocean's dancing with a storm, I'll dance with you; Web

All of the voices inside of my mind will never be silenced

She had weathered the darkness and starvation. She had weathered the monsters scouring the land for the next pile of bones to pick clean. But now, in the brightness of the new dawn and warmth of this fresh start, she is not entirely certain she had weathered the pain and suffering and loss that had surrounded them all. A thick and suffocating miasma that she often wondered if only she had felt. But when thoughts are as open as a desert sky, it is a hard burden to avoid.

The sea had long been her solace, but in the darkness, it too had grown dangerous and full of hungry teeth. Now she looks at it with a wary eye and a guarded heart. She had learned as never before just how hungry and base the world could be. And she had survived, but at what cost?

For the first time in her life, she feels truly restless and untethered. But every part of her longs for the comfort and safety home had once provided. As foolish as it is, she still looks for it.

It does not take her long to know she would not find it in the small and secluded pool feeding into the river, but still she does not hasten to leave. There is a serenity here that is rare to find beyond the depths of the ocean. Thoughts are distant and muffled, easily overshadowed by the song of birds and the hum of insects. There is a peace that is hard for a mare like her to resist.

So she lingers, knowing it could not last but hoping it would anyway. With the water a soft caress on her sea-green skin and the sun a warm weight on her upturned features, pearlescent in the soft yellow light, she allows herself to believe, for just a moment, that she is safe and happy. That life is not as cold and chaotic and ruthless as it is.

until I can find a way to let go of what we left behind

persea

@[web]

He feels made new again by the sudden familiar regularity of day and night. Or maybe it is from the changes within himself, the feathers that burst painlessly through his skin and the wings that erupted slightly less gently from the bone and muscle of his golden shoulders. He’d always guessed at what it would be like to fly, at what it might feel like to have only the sky and wide open blue to sail through, to have nothing to hold him back. But he had never truly understood what he was missing until now.

It is a freedom that had been robbed from him by the dark and restored tenfold, a weightlessness unlike one he had ever known. He has a new understanding for the everchanging shades of blue that drape themselves around the clouds, he knows what it feels like to fly through one too - cool and damp, like fog and yet somehow more.

Or maybe he is just more, in his quiet jubilation.

But even he can not fly forever and his wings are still young, still new, the muscles not yet hard and corded with the years of use they would have if he’d been born with them. So he lands when they ache, but he is careful to pick a new place every time. There is so much more to see and know now, places he would not have found from any place but the clouds.

He is headed for a rock outcropping now, a formation of cliffs in the land that walls off a small meadow with an even smaller clear pond inside it. But there is a swirl of color somewhere beside all of it in his periphery, something teal and pale and shining like a jewel. She would be striking enough like that, but the aura surrounding her is what really captures his attention. There are swirls of blue and pink that make a smile pull at the corners of his mouth, paler swirls of an almost golden shade of yellow that makes the smile fade again.

It is no decision at all to redirect his flight and land quietly nearby, though she will have certainly heard the rustle of feathers in his large wings. He keeps his face soft when he turns to join her, moving to the edge of her little pool. Up this close she is like some kind of ocean treasure, and he can see in her skin every shade of ocean-teal and the almost opalescence of the paler shell-marked places. Her face is quiet, her eyes wider in a way that leads him to believe she is unsure, though perhaps it is just the delicate plains and hollows that make them seem so large. But she is undeniably beautiful, like an ocean siren, and the desire to be near to her wells inside his chest until it builds into something he reflects back to her unknowingly. A desire that binds them silently together.

“You’re worried about something.” He notes, examining the hints of yellow swirling in her aura again, and though the question itself is prying there is a gentle kind of genuine concern that warms in the brown of his searching eyes. His wings fold in against his back, the feathers whispering as he moves close enough to the water to let it lap at his hooves but no further. “Is there something I can help you with?” This close, with her delicate curves and a thousand shades of swirling teal, with those solemn seafoam eyes and the way sunshine spills over the hollows of her face and her hips, he is entirely unimmune to the magic of her.

WEB

@[Persea]

She is not so lost in the warmth and solace of the moment that she misses the hum of his thoughts as he draws near, the whisper of his wings as he alights almost soundlessly on the shores of her peaceful pool. Her eyes are drawn to his gold and blue visage, curiosity blooming inside of her as she tries her best to brush aside the personal musings of his mind. Ones he undoubtedly would not wish her to hear.

If she could have, she might have blushed at them. She has never thought of herself as lovely. She knows her reflection had changed from the once red and white to the endless green shades of the sea, but her features are still hers. Still the same ones she had known since childhood. But to know he had been drawn here by the image of beauty he held in his mind is both disarming and somehow wholly pleasing.

For a moment she can only stare, struck by the sudden urge to touch him. To move closer, to trace the lines of his features until she had memorized them. She doesn’t even realize she has moved until she finds herself near the edge of the pond, water sluicing from her sea-splashed skin.

It is his words that recall her to herself.

A wave of embarrassment crashes over her. She had been so drawn to him - the striking intensity in his features haloed by the aching loveliness of his thoughts - that she hadn’t even considered her actions. Hadn’t considered how forward he must find her.

“Yes, I suppose I am,” she replies, her voice breathy in a way she hadn’t anticipated. Taking a hesitant step back, she ducks her head apologetically before shaking it. Her damp locks cling to her wet skin, creating a delicate lacing with their dark strands. “Unless you can change the past, I don’t think you can.”

persea

@[web]

He wonders at the way her aura shifts as soon as she notices him, the way the yellow morphs into greens that swirl bright like emeralds, like jade, like entire forests come alive to dance across her skin, invisible to all but him in a way that satisfies his ego. Green means curiosity, it means that she is as taken with him as he is with her, and the knowledge only serves to deepen the smile at his mouth until it draws careful creases at the corners of his warm eyes. His aura would be green too, if she could see it.

Then she’s moving towards him and there is something in her eyes that feels entirely delicate, entirely fragile, and he notes the swirls of teal that dance beside the purer greens with a softening in his gaze. Attraction, he realizes, and his buckskin wings lift and flare with an inherent arrogance all their own that is still entirely new to him. He should be glad she likely knows as little of the language of wings as he does. There is no warning before that shade of murky gray washes over her, before it smothers everything around it like smoke through her forests of green and teal. Her discomfort is like a briar under his skin, and for the briefest moment he wonders if it is something in him that she objects too. His closeness, his wings still flared wide for her, the glowing golden feathers along his shoulders and tufting from behind his ears. He would not blame her for finding him strange, he still thinks the same of his own reflection some days.

But then her voice finds him, soft and breathy, and even though she steps away from him there is a new strand of orange that winds through her gray. So curious. Orange is extremes. Bold and brave, upset and regretful. Orange is hard to place with so little context.

Yet -

“Sure I can.” He disagrees, and there is a light in the warm honey of his eyes as his navy mouth twitches with a small, secret smile. “Pasts are always changing, evolving with the layers we add to them.” He steps closer to her again, closing distance he no longer thinks she wants based on the swirls of deepening red throughout her aura. It should feel like spying, to know without a doubt that she finds some kind of attraction for him - perhaps in his grin or in his eyes or the shameless way he reaches out to touch his mouth to the corner of hers for just a moment, breathing in the scent of sea and summer and her. “Spend the day with me.” He does not pose it like a question, and from the way those warm eyes shine with amusement, it likely sounds more like a dare.

WEB

@[Persea]

She had never responded so viscerally to another in the entirety of her life, and that she does so now is both intoxicating and disarming. It tingles along her skin, warming her inside and out. And to know that he can read this in the curls of her emotions just as she can read his every wayward thought is strange. Freeing, in a way. They would have no secrets from one another.

By that token, she knows that he too feels the same attraction. It is an entirely different sensation from the infatuation Olver had. One that causes the breath to catch in her throat even as a pleased shyness swells in her breast. In that moment, she could not have sent him away even if she wished to. And she most certainly does not wish to.

He brushes aside her melancholy as easily as one would a stray cottonwood seed, the warmth of his expressive features and gentleness of his voice a balm she hadn’t known she needed. He eliminates the distance that remains between them, his lips pressing against that corner of hers. Her eyes flutter briefly closed.

When he speaks again, the ocean green of her eyes rise to his, soft and entirely guileless in the depth of trust within them. A quiet smile slips across her mouth, the answer already written across her features. “I would very much like to learn how to rewrite the past,” she replies softly, her voice still faintly breathless. “And even if I cannot, a day in your company sounds like exactly the remedy I need.”

She cannot know how flirtatious her words must sound, unpracticed in the world of attraction as she is. But even if she had, she might not have changed them. In this moment, where everything feels just the slightest bit surreal and dreamlike, she could almost imagine anything is possible. Could almost imagine herself seductress enough to entice a man she had only just met.

So, with a smile hovering on the edges of lips, eyes wide and luminous as she peers at him, she steps closer. “I’m Persea.”

persea

@[web]