• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  buried it where bones are buried

can’t stop staring at those ocean eyes. 

Sabal thinks she does an excellent job at containing her swoon at his grin. Perhaps others would be put off by the sharp teeth, but that’s kind of Sabal’s thing.  Is that a healthy thing, no probably not, but she really can’t bring herself to care.

“Well then, I guess that means I’ll stick around,” she says, with a wink, though let’s be honest she had absolutely no intention of leaving. Barring the interruption, this was the most interesting company that Sabal had found in months. Between the self imposed moping and then prior to that the whole running from monsters business, it was more likely that Firion was going to have to chase her off eventually.

But, flirtations aside, Sabal is also intrigued by the direction of the conversation. Normally she avoids the common lands because you can only have the same superficial conversation so many times before retreating to the water, but his questions catch her off guard.

No one had ever thought to ask her why she’d gone to the mountain because, well, she assumed that everyone just thought that she had gone out of the goodness of her own heart.  I mean they’d be wrong, but it seemed to be the easy assumption. But Sabal wasn’t a selfless creature. She didn’t think that anyone was misjudging her as such, either. Not if they took the time to actually try to know her.

Her gaze shifted to the shadow creature curled up on his back, watching amusedly as she thought about her answer. Because sure, wanting the sun back had been part of her motivation, but certainly not the only reason. “Honestly?” she starts, shifting her gaze from the sleeping shadows to his golden eyes. “My own selfish desire to be useful.” She shrugs her fin-like wings ever so slightly before pulling them tightly to her sides once more.

It sounds really stupid admitting it aloud, and she nearly flinches as the words hang in the air, but she doesn’t fear his judgment. She’s made it very clear throughout this interaction that she really doesn’t give a shit about the judgment of men. But he’d been honest with her to this point, or so she assumed, so she owed him the honest truth. Plus, he’d been the only one to ask to this point, so why the hell not be honest.  She did wonder what he’d think of her though, and of course there was probably more to her motivations than that. Deeper insecurities and all that jazz, but she wasn’t sure if he was ready to go full therapist at this point.

”What did you miss most?” she asks, not even considering that the answer for most would be ‘the sun, duh’. Her gaze trails up to the moon, no longer obscured by the eclipse. ”I missed the warmth. You can get used to the dark, but I missed the warmth of the sun.”

s a b a l .
    manip by squirt

@[firion]

that day even the sun was afraid of you and the weight you carried

It was refreshing to have a conversation with someone who says exactly what they mean and what they think. He appreciates the way that she doesn’t try to hide or pretend otherwise and his amusement sparks when she casts him a wink—not bothering to hide her flirtation. It’s enough that he forgets about the bear who had been part of their conversation but moments ago, sinking his attention instead in this moment.

He’s quiet as he listens to her talk, thinking about her answer with a press of his golden lips together. After a second, he rolls his shoulders. “I can understand that,” he admits. “Although I don’t think there’s something entirely selfish about wanting to be useful. I think that’s just a byproduct of living.”

Firion certainly knew what it was like to want to be useful.

To want to be anything but the useless, cursed waste he became every night.

As she turns the question back toward him, he grows somber again, a frown growing between his brows as he follows her gaze up to the moon that hangs above them. His lips quirk at her answer, feeling both a bone-deep ache at the way he had missed the sun and a foundational resentment of the same thing now.

How strange to love and hate something at the same time.

“I missed feeling fully alive,” he answers, not trying to be cryptic but unable to find a better way to phrase that without going too deep down a path he couldn’t back out of. “It took the best of me with it.”

so you saluted every ghost you've ever prayed to and then buried it where bones are buried

@[Sabal]