• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  the ghosts that we knew

For a moment, Tarian thinks that her spirit might be rising. There is a flare of her temper - those always-changing eyes - and his dark lips twitch again. Twice now, Altissima has almost roused the silver stallion to laughter. (If he wasn't such a vigilant guard of it, he might have shared it more with others.)

But then the winged mare falters just as her temper starts to spark again and Tarian can feel the concern knotting in his chest and it furrows the line on his brow. The feeling within is one he hasn't felt in a while but the expression he wears is a common one for the pegasus: the silver stallion scowls. He watches her carefully, the way that she drapes her wings on the ground around her and how neatly she folds her legs.

It would appear she doesn't intend on standing anytime soon and so Tarian cocks a hindleg for comfort, just as equally intent on not moving from this spot anytime soon.

Tarian arches a brow at her when she retorts that what she would call him might not be received well by Queen Oceane. Tarian tilts his head to where she laid while keeping an ear towards the darkness that surrounded them. "What's this?" the former heir of Paraiso quips back. "No court manners, @[Altissima]?" He sighs loudly as if he has been on his best behavior for their entire conversation. Something catches his focus and he lifts his head, attempting to see if any of the shadows shift or swirl in the way that some of the monsters move.

"Just another reason I wouldn't be able to permit you entry," he tells her nonchalantly when he glances down at her again, with another grin tugging at the corner of his mouth. What would he get? Tarian is quiet for a moment (and perhaps reveals a bit too much of himself when he answers with a flashing smile): "I'd get to be right."

He's very rarely been wrong and after more than a decade, he doesn't intend to start being wrong about things now.

A small snort escapes Altissima at the question about court manners. They could both agree that she certainly did not have those, not by a long shot. You’d have to interact with others to get those and she certainly wasn’t about to do that. Not unless she stumbled upon them, as she had Tarian. Not unless talking to them was helping keep her conscious.

She finally looks at him when he says his prize if he won their bet would be that he gets to be right. There’s disdain clear in her eyes and she sighs theatrically before replying.

“I guess I can let you be right once in your life.” Because although Altissima would very much like to see him proved wrong, that sensation that she may not survive long enough to get the chance to harass him in Loess creeps in. She’s not even sure she’s going to be able to stand up again - but she knows she damn well will not be trying until he leaves. It was bad enough that he had seen her fall, she knew full well how shaky she’d be whenever she got the strength up to try again. Like she was nothing better than a newborn foal trying to walk for the first time. 

In an effort to redirect her thoughts, and continue their process of ignoring her current state, she returns her gaze to the darkness and remarks in a cool voice she might've used to remark on the weather “Hard to believe there’s room for anyone else to live in Loess with your ego talking up all the room.”
    altissima

@[Tarian]
    [Image: willowsticker_by_space1993_ddeo27s_small.png]

These small bursts of soul are welcomed by Tarian. Even if her quick retorts are jabs at him, the gray will accept that over her becoming unconscious. If one of those ... things come creeping and if she is as helpless as a newborn foal, their odds of surviving would be slim. Tarian would do his best to not die - and while he won't admit it to @[Altissima], he'd attempt his best to keep her alive as well (only because he'd half-expect her to become a ghost that would taunt haunt him for the rest of his days).

"Once?" he sparks back at her and the pegasus gives her another boyish grin, so out of place on his tired face. "Milady, I think you are going to become sorely disappointed." He's tempted to add something else, because if he dares her to stand or implies she can't, maybe the white mare would get up. It's an idea that he turns and over but in the end, decides to hold onto it; asking her to rise too soon might deplete what strength she has and when she does get up, Tarian wants it to be long enough for her to return to whatever refuge she had come from.

His silver brow rises as she looks into the darkness and his gaze follows, just to make sure that what she is looking at isn't something that will tear out both of their throats.

Tarian enjoys the nonchalance of her words - that his ego would keep out any potential residents or perhaps had chased off the current ones - and his dark lips twitch. She might not be getting up anytime soon but she was perfectly capable of insulting him. A promising start. "That could explain why our population is so small," he tells her. The tone of the silver pegasus changes as hers had but instead of becoming indifferent, there is a polish that smooths his words. A soldier's bronze traded for a courtier's gild. His blue eyes flick down to hers, "Why don't you tell me where a wilding such as yourself comes from?" Tarian fights his smile (and appearing as if he thinks himself very clever, if she spies his expression through the shadows), "since it was obviously not a kingdom."

Altissima ignores the milady in favour of a very obvious jab that she simply cannot resist taking. She’s surprised he set himself up for it so easily - and very much hopes she is not falling into some sort of trap - as her eyes dance with barbed amusement. “I imagine it’s a habit of yours to disappoint mares, why should I be any different.”

As she lays there, the trembling in her legs begins to fade. While she is not relaxed, at least she is a little more comfortable. She is so terribly tired but Tarian keeps up the banter, matching her and keeping her focused on the present instead of how good it would feel to close her eyes.

Her gaze turns back to him at the wilding comment - she’s not sure if he meant it as an insult or not but she likes the sound of it. “I was born in Pangea actually.” Though she could not remember if it had been a kingdom then. Had her father been King there? That felt right, but the details are hazy and certainly unimportant. It had been such a small time in her life that they all had each other. “But I have had no official home since I was a foal. I’m a wilding right to my core.”
    altissima

@[Tarian]
    [Image: willowsticker_by_space1993_ddeo27s_small.png]