• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open]  About the things that we could be; ANY and ALL icicles
    The first thing I did after realizing that the darkness also meant a lack of warmth, a thing most inhabitants of the Isle still needed in some way - used to it or not- had been to try my luck and find outside help.

They hadn’t come and so I turn around, finding @[Chemdog] and offering him a grin. ”Guess they’re busy figuring out what this is. Some other time then.” Of course I am disappointed that the things I have in mind for the Isle, for my people, aren’t seeing the daylight (there’s irony in there somewhere) right away. ”As usual, we’re left to fend for ourselves. Let’s see if there’s others wanting to chime in on this, then.” It’s more of a proposal than a command as leader; really, I am glad he has come but if he doesn’t feel like it, I’m not keeping him around against his wishes and he knows that.

The icy dragon that I am is just not capable of giving warmth, though. We need more revolutionary ideas if fairy magic is needed elsewhere. Though I will in fact keep trying; something that would help the inhabitants survive our winters, like Beryl who once almost froze to death, is probably something we could use even if the sun wasn’t blocked out.

Nevertheless, when we arrive back home, I issue out a call. Waiting, I wonder how many will show up - Nashua is likely to be hanging around, but I haven’t seen many of the other inhabitants around lately, though I know they are in fact around. Just not that into a talk it seems.

”I’ve called you here regarding the sun issue. There currently nothing we can do about it, but if you have ideas on how to battle the cold, darkness, or lack of food that it is going to bring us, let me know. Know that I also won’t stop my efforts of trying to get the fairies’ attention - I’ve been able to do that in the past, but feel free to join me next time.” I muse the latter aloud, then shrug. It’s never a guarantee of course, but who knows? Maybe my earlier fairy interaction actually helps this time.
    there’s an ocean in between your heart and me

@[Nashua]
    @Everybody! This is a follow up from a failed land quest attempt/your chance to get in on it ^^ (active characters count to the chances of getting a quest but even if not I’d like to get many people involved in the solving of whatever task we get). The land quest idea was to get something for the Isle that helps inhabitants feel less of the icy cold, for those who need it (don’t have a particular trait to aid them). I hope this will help with some muse too!
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

It’s no grand revelation that the icy tundra is not really Chem’s idea of paradise, but his brotherly ties to his friend, along with having some sort of purpose in these questionable times is just the perfect mix to bring him back to the frozen territory. He wouldn’t have anyone know this, but he actually likes being gratified with fulfilment. It’s the reason he helped with the raids for food years back, and the reason he finds his way here again in times of trouble – BIG TROUBLE.

Their quest attempt, well, Leilan’s quest attempt, goes sour and they’re back. Chem is a bit defeated feeling, his ego never lets him lose anything without beating on it for a while. But his friend seems undeterred, still hope in his tone as he addresses the rest of them, whoever is even listening. He stands behind him, not that anyone can see, listening dutifully and then speaking up. “Well, you know I’m in brother.” he snorts, whisking his thick tail at invisible bugs (nothing).

CHEMDOG
    to the window, to the wall

@[Leilan]

stars when you shine, you know how i feel
    oh freedom is mine

There is a deep, still-healing scar that ranges from his chest to behind his left-wing. It had only been by the grace of another gifted horse that Nashua had even survived. The thing that had burst from the pegasus ought to have killed him; the scar - if seen - stands as a testament to the tale of one monster lurking in the Taigan woods, thanks to an ancestor.

Only after Nashua is certain that his family is safe - Noel has returned to Taiga and that the twins are alright, that he knows Yanhua will keep watch where he cannot - does the striped stallion return to the Isle. The journey is perilous and dark and at one point, Nash had very nearly fallen into the sea. Flight by endless night is not a form of travel that the young pegasus recommends and he curses again as he attempts to locate anyone across the frigid tundra.

He'd about given up hope - perhaps Leilan had taken to the mainland, had gone to find his children - and was contemplating returning to Taiga (but he is so damn tired).

But then a voice carries on the swift wind and Nashua turns quickly, jerking his head towards the direction of the sound. He curses again and steps off to find the culprit. The first shadow is a size similar to his twin brother but bulkier and it sparks a wild smile on the pale mouth of the younger stallion. "Freyr," Nash calls out before he finds him and another in the dark. He turns his blazed head to glance at the other, thinking it might be Jesper but finds a familiar face that he can't quite recall instead (though maybe Chemdog remembers the little flaxen colt that had stood protectively in front of his mother the day that they had met). He nods to the stranger and then breathes a sigh of relief.

"You're the first I've found." He tells the pair, "it would seem the Isle is no longer a popular vacation spot." Nash half-jokes, wincing from the tender pain that runs white-hot along his chest.

NASHUA

html by castlegraphics; art by MirrorLands

@[Leilan] @[Chemdog]
    [Image: jCdBK6.png]
    It takes a while for Nash to join us, but at least it doesn’t take him very long. My eyes find the wince on his face and the way he pulls his shoulder. The boy who was so fascinated by the ice and the dancing lights has become an old man in a matter of days, it seems - though not by a long shot as old as I am or even Chemdog is. Thankfully he still has a youthful spirit in him, but I do worry a bit about him.

Not now, though. The thought gets pushed aside for the most pressing matter at hand. Nash already names it, and I give a wry nod. It’d be a good joke any other day, but alas, it is the exact truth. ”I think I know why. And with our main attraction gone, I don’t expect either of you to keep a herd here in a continuously frozen place. So I hope with three of us, we have a better chance to catch the fae’s attention.” A bit of a grin follows. ”All we need is for our pretty tree to actually give off a more useful glow, I think - at least for inhabitants. What say you?”
    there’s an ocean in between your heart and me

@[Chemdog] & @[Nashua]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Chem’s gotten used to the darkness – one would be surprised at the easement of adjusting to losing a sense. His eyesight has always been sharp and of great use to him, at first it was utterly disarming to him to be mostly without it (save for the certain spots that are lit by mythical glow or firelight). It’s become much easier with time. The real challenge of the world’s latest shift is what lurks, hungry and salivating in the depths of blackness that surround them.

Nash joins them and Chem offers him a nod he cannot see, and a grunt for a hello. Not very warm, but not intended to be rude either. What else would he say besides hello, really? No one has time to feign small talk these days, surely. Leilan speaks again and Chem’s closest ear bends to him. “It would be nice.” he chuckles lightly, “Warmth would be a bonus, but at least some light, that would be something.” he draws in a breath, a little tired, but mostly because he’s out of things to add. He would follow his friend wherever, really, without much explanation required; how romantic.

It seems there’s only three left. Nashua mentioning he could not find anyone either. “They’ll come again.” he breathed, “this place is no sanctuary as of right now.” the growls echo in the distance and a hollow, frozen gust of wind blows between them. “If we make it so, our numbers will rise again.

CHEMDOG
    to the window, to the wall

@[Leilan] @[Nashua]

(and it's harder than you think)
    telling dreams from one another

He catches the faint movement of a nod from the painted stallion and then Nashua turns his attention back to the Freyr, waiting for what their leader might add. His copper ears flick forward and for a moment, Nash can forget the tender pain in his shoulder. It'll heal, he knows (eventually). For now, it stands as a testament to the monsters lurking throughout Beqanna.

Leilan talks about re-igniting the flame of the Isle and the young pegasus nods again. Some source of light would be helpful. "This... eclipse," he says slowly and then motions with his head towards the dim halo above them that had once been the moon or the sun, "might that be something else the Fae could help with?"

If they all ventured to the Mountain, Nashua even wondered if the Faeries might be inclined to offer some sort of insight to what was happening; perhaps how to bring the Sun back (ambitious, perhaps, but let it be known that Nash has always been a high-flier). His mother warned against the use of great Magicks but with a mate and a pair of yearlings sired within the Taiga, the chestnut thinks that their current ordeal could someday be classified as an epoch.

Great times call for Great Magicks, so to speak.

The young pegasus shifts his wings uneasily at the mention that this place was no sanctuary and he agrees with the older rogue. The Isle was hardly forgiving when the sun was shining. Without it? Only those acclimated (or with magical abilities) could reside on the barren islet. He looks back to the roan Freyr and Nashua dips his head in agreement. They had to do something. A smirk curls on the pale lips of the blazed stallion as his slender head rises.

He just needs to know one thing.

"When do we leave?"

NASHUA

@[Leilan] pony boy says 'LETS GO'
    [Image: jCdBK6.png]