• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

In the middle of the darkest nights [Yanhua]
    Hardly believing what he was hearing, unable to believe what he was seeing, Yanhua let Memorie slip off into the surrounding forest without saying a word. He could faintly hear Borderline muttering something - but the words were indecipherable to Yanhua’s ears. The blue-haired mare could’ve been speaking in a different language, for all he knew.

Yanhua was looking at his son.
    Reynard seemed well. Yan’s blue eyes searched the darkness for any flaw on his colt’s skin, any rip or tear that might lend explanation as to why he’d left the playground or when, but other than the normal cuts and scrapes of a rowdy childhood there was nothing. Rey was healthy, but not exactly… the same.

His father narrowed his eyes and took a step closer, interrupted by the sudden wave of an image that surely was his daughter’s magic. Lifting his horns, the stag flicked his ears out to the dark world and smiled quietly to himself. Cheri was safe, he thought. She was home. He turned to look for confirmation in the eyes of his loved ones, and saw that even though Borderline seemed elated and willing to accept the news, Amarine was shifting uncomfortably in the blackness.

As she muttered out an excuse, Yan’s smile dropped. He knew what was coming next, braced himself for it, and then grit his teeth at the same time Reynard pushed his smaller body into the broad side of his sire’s ribs and shoulder. That was more expressive than words. The jagged shocks of anxiety, like spikes needling into his skin, washed over the bonded pair of horses remaining and yet the bearded chestnut watched Amarine go. Slowly, the needling sensation felt duller. Yanhua exhaled a long-held breath, deciding he would follow later when she’d had a chance to process the feelings, but for now the sound of Cheri and Mem returning drew his attention back.

“Reynard.” Yanhua murmured down at his eldest colt, “your mother and I have been worried sick about you and Cheri. We went to the playground…” The stallion shook his head, and the tassels of hair under his chin rustled softly. “If anything ever happened to you or your sisters, it would destroy us.”

Serious words for serious times.
    There was a moment between them where Yan waited to see if Reynard would respond, and then Cheri joined their group by standing where Amarine had been moments before. She passed in front of her father, flapping her wings in hazy motions of light that seemed oddly out of place in the darkness, and flicked her tail. “Is mamma alright?” She asked her family, turning to look the other way for Memorie.

Yanhua kept silent. He looked at Borderline, wondering if she had anything to say, but just as quickly lipped Reynard’s blonde forelock and pushed off on his bent leg to get moving. They couldn’t stay here, even if he felt like collapsing. Weeks had rolled by and still the sky hadn’t changed. If this was the way things were going to be, his family - all of Beqanna, would feel the effects soon enough. As he hobbled, Yan tried not to think of the worst: that this was a phenomena like the others in their long history. Ones that altered worlds or killed thousands. He thumped along, which caught Cheri’s attention, but interrupted her before she could speak.

“I think we should stay together. Sleep near one another, in the southeast section of the forest, near the river.” He suggested strongly, making sure to be specific so Cheri and Memorie could hear him over the sound of his irregular gait. He wasn’t worried about Reynard, he was sure that his son understood the importance of what Yanhua said before his siblings returned. Just in case, he shot him a glance in the dark. “Borderline?” Yan asked, looking up. What did she think?

@[Borderline] @[Reynard]

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

Our elation quickly turned to a mess of emotions being tumbled around and thrown in every direction from the wholly overwhelmed mother that had returned without her children. I couldn’t blame Amarine one bit for any of it, and I allow her emotions to roll through me. They are difficult to bear, but my understanding allows me to bear them with grace and dignity. As I watch her stumble away into the darkness, I understand her need to be free of everything this little gathering had thrown upon her shoulders. The children were safe, and no doubt she trusted her family to attend to them as needed (though Yanhua was, perhaps, more in need of attending to than the twins). Still, my heart aches as I watch her disappear, swallowed by the shadows that had been nothing short of a nightmare these last few weeks. I wish there was more I could do for my friend: take away every emotion, every hint of distress and relief, so that she could feel nothing, but that would prove beyond my capabilities.

Instead, I turn my attention to the two fillies who appear from the shadows, Cheri first, with wisps of light emanating from her back in the shape of wings, then Memorie, only visible by the soft glow that comes off her half-sister and father. Despite the wave of relief that came from Mem’s echo, it is different to actually see her half sister appear from the shadows, and a weight lifts from my shoulders that had been there for longer than I could bear it. A hefty sigh falls from my lips, and Memorie presses herself to my side comfortingly.

For now, I have no words. A part of me wishes I could follow Amarine into the shadows to find relief in my own company, but somehow I know that my family would need me right now, and so I stay, waiting for someone else to say something to fill my silence.

As Yanhua turns, I gently reach out and press my nose to Memorie’s shoulder, urging her to follow. I then do the same to Cheri and Reynard in turn, pressing them to follow as well, and soon we are moving together through the giant redwoods that shelter us from the worst of the world. Yanhua speaks, and I listen, silently agreeing that we need to stick together. I am unprepared for him to turn to me, however, and I lift my head in response, despite the exhaustion that rolls through my bones and bids me keep my head down. I sigh softly. “Yes, we should stick together,” is all I could find it within myself to say. With that said, though, I throw a glance back over my shoulder in the direction that Amarine had disappeared from. What would happen to the butterfly mare? Memorie seems to understand, and she leaves a soft trace of emotional residue along the path that Amarine could follow when she feels ready. The empathic mare would be able to sense it, at least I could hope. I hope, also, that she would follow soon.

I find myself needing some comfort, comfort that Memorie could not give me in that moment, so I move forward to Yanhua. I lean my shoulder gently against his side, hanging my head so that my nose brushes the base of his neck. Somehow, I feel more exhausted now than before, despite my joy to find my family in tact. But I guess that’s understandable, now that all the hubbub has died down.

Meanwhile, Memorie moves to be near her half-siblings. She emanates a soft sense of relief as she gently touches each behind the ears, Cheri first, then Reynard, and I find myself glad that she could be born in the same era as the twins. What would she have been without her siblings?

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash