• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  you wouldn't leave till we loved in the morning
    LITOTES

It's a pleasant sunrise that Litotes finds when he arrives home to Silver Cove. The first sparkings of a powerful summer sun reflect in his topaz eyes, making them look like both gleaming fire and molten lava. He turns from the rising star, shakes out his mane and yawns. For a moment, he considers stopping here--as sleepy as he is--but the thought of a sleeping Lilt keeps him padding forward.

The black sand of the Cove's beaches is a stark contrast to Lie's pale lion. He looks particularly strange on these beaches: the king of the Sahara walking so comfortably next to the ocean. He knows more of these dark shores than any grassland, having spent so much of his life in the East. Lie thinks that every inch of Hyaline, Silver Cove, and Pangea will remain imprinted in his mind for eternity. He was king of a wasteland once, king of the mountains and king of the otherworldly beaches. To a stranger, he looks nearly alien; but to Litotes, he finally feels as if he's back home.

A couple of days have passed since Lie has returned to the Cove. It's not often that he seeks overwhelming solitude anymore, but when he does, time tends to slip from him. As he rounds the bend of an arching hill coated in waving, soft green grass, he spots the glowing form of a Lilt. A soft smile lifts his lips.

Home.

"Lilt," he calls, shifting back into a horse and trotting eagerly her way, "I've missed you."

and let the cool air in, feel the night slip in
    as it softly glides across your back
    and i hope you leave right before the sun comes up
    so i can watch it alone

@[Lilt] this is weirdly not sad
    she wanted what every young heart wanted —
    for something beautiful to find her beautiful.
    She knew what had happened, of course. She knew that her mother had gone to Loess, revenge on her mind, and hatred in her veins. She had known who Starsin was hunting, but she had also known better than to try and stop her. There was nothing in this world that her mother held as close as she did Ophanim and their children, and in the end, it did not matter who it was that brought them harm; Starsin could not be reasoned with.

The entire ordeal had weighed heavily on Lilt's fragile heart for a number of reasons. There was a part of her that, guiltily, felt almost relieved in knowing Ghaul could not hurt her father and brother again. Mostly, though, her heart was twisted in anguish for Lie. He had been his son, after all, and Lilt could not begin to fathom the pain she would feel if something ever happened to Rosemary and Somerset.

It’s why she tries to not feel wounded by Lie’s absence. She grants him the space he needs, and she waits with the never-ending patience she had been born with, because she knows – trusts entirely – that he will always come back.

And he does come back, along with the sun. She finds him set against the golden of the sunrise, backlit by its glow. It brings a smile to her dark lips, quiet and subdued though it was. She moves to meet him halfway, and she does not hesitate to press her chest into his, burying her black nose into the tangles of his light mane. “I’ve missed you, too,” she tells him quietly, breathing in the familiar scent of him and letting it settle someone of the unease in her chest. She pulls back slightly, just enough for her silver eyes to search his, before asking cautiously, “Are you...okay?”
    l i l t
    LITOTES

It's so easy: the rise and the fall, the push and the pull, the endless floating. Litotes collapses into his lover's touch when he finds it, equally energized and exhausted and needing her so, so much. Lilt is home like he's never known it - the warmth of love's touch, the eager embrace, the soft, soft yearning because even with himself pressed fervently to her, it's never close enough.

Lie's mouth finds the smooth arch of Lilt's neck and he presses gentle, careful kisses wherever he can reach. She's so soft, so strong, so much more than he believed he ever deserved. He's so grateful, in ways he doesn't know how to describe. There are only ways he can show her: beautiful flowers he brings home, sunny afternoons spinning shadows for their children, loud and carefree laughter. He can only give her wonderful memories and a life as unburdened as possible, only read what she wishes for between the lines and offer those wishes as surprises.

But he wishes he could say it. With all his vulnerability and fear. Let Lilt hear how deeply he cares for her.

Are you okay?

It's a loaded question, one he wants to answer honestly; but he knows he's okay, now, with her - the distant thought of their children blinking themselves awake keeping him warm. When he's alone though, listless and weighted, he remembers the grief and it's neverending abyss. Lie doesn't like to be reminded of it, but he doesn't take it out on Lilt - and perhaps speaking of it with someone he loves will help mend the rift he ignores in his chest.

"Not all the time, no," Lie eventually answers, a hesitant smile lifting one side of his lips. "It's certainly a strange situation; I . . ." he trails off, unsure of exactly what he was trying to say. "Ghaul was dear to me, but I understand it." I just worry for Draco, now. He doesn't say that out loud, instead praying that not uttering the words will make his son's anger feel less real.

"Are you okay?" Lie parrots, letting the smile on his face grow as he darts forward to sneak a kiss to Lilt's lips. He means the question seriously, wondering if she is okay with how often he disappears recently; but he simply cannot resist the way she looks in the early morning light.

and let the cool air in, feel the night slip in
    as it softly glides across your back
    and i hope you leave right before the sun comes up
    so i can watch it alone

@[Lilt]
    she wanted what every young heart wanted —
    for something beautiful to find her beautiful.
    She leans willingly into his touch, lowering her head to press her cheek against his neck. The feel of the kisses he places along her neck is enough to incite a shiver that runs the full length of her spine, bringing with it a slow, faint smile to her lips. Sometimes it was still hard for her to believe that he was hers; that a man like him, strong and powerful as he was, would ever be content with someone like her. She understood why he had preferred women like Kensa and her mother – women that could match his strength and ferocity, and not someone like her, always so delicate and mild. She tries to not imagine what he must be like with someone that stoked his fire rather than dulled it, afraid that she might suffocate on the insecurity that would create.

But he doesn’t stop kissing her, and with every touch, her worries fade back into the darkness.

Her own head turns just enough to press her dark lips into the pale groove of his jawline, mindful of her horn. His answer is not convincing, at least not to her, and though there is a moment that a frown shadows her face, she does not pry further. She thinks that he is far more bothered by it than he lets on, but then again, she can't really say what reaction she would prefer. She had been afraid that he would hate her for her mother's actions, and she has been internally preparing for how to deal with such a thing. Her chest tightens at the thought, and her silver eyes find his when she says quietly, “You know how my mother is. I know a part of her feels bad, even if she would never admit it.”

Her eyes divert away from his when she says it, always afraid of what might flash unknowingly across his face at the mention of Starsin.
    Mostly, she preferred to pretend her mother did not exist; that she had never loved Lie in the same way that she did now. Her mother being her mother, she made it impossible to ignore her.

But his kiss brings the faint smile back to her face, and this time she steps forward to duck her head beneath his neck. “I’m fine,” and it is partially true. She survives without him, though she wishes she didn't have to. She would never try to pin him down, never try to make him stay, no matter how empty her chest feels when he's gone. “I miss you when you’re gone, and that will never change.” With a curve of her neck she curls against him, her nose trailing softly down his throat. “But I will always be here waiting for you when you come home.”
    l i l t

@[litotes]