• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open]  I can't afford fire, but I keep myself warm; any

Kaite
    my nerves are turned on. I hear them like musical instruments.
    where there was silence the drums, the strings are incurably playing.
    When she had run, she had seen both of their lands. The place the mare had hailed from had been beautiful, but foreign. The place the stallion was from had been in shambles – but underneath the fire damage, it had reminded Kaite of home. Currently it was a land in chaos, but when it healed, would it be the Tundra come again? She very much wants that sign of familiarity in this world that is so different from the one she had died in. Perhaps the logical choice would have been to follow the mare to the land by the sea, but the very pregnant mare had followed her heart instead to the island in the very north.

The swim in the freezing water saps most of her energy – not only is the water immensely cold and wild this time of year, spring barely touching the world this far north, but every time it closes momentarily over her head, Kaite remembers the feel of the sea monster dragging her down in the depths of his more tropical waters. But she is not a child of the Brotherhood for nothing, and the dark little mare drags herself onto the sooty shores out of breath and exhausted, but alive.

Kaite plans to take a rest, perhaps wait for someone to stumble upon her, but the first pangs of labor tell her that her body has other ideas. Huffing, annoyed, she sets off herself to look for a slightly more sheltered place. There are few trees left standing tall, but she finds an area of especially deep grass near a curious pond, and waits. She has borne a child before, after all, and knows how this goes. Still, birthing two children together is a new sort of hell, and one she resolves not to experience after today.

Still, there is a certain relief to having the twins outside of her body and not inside, though she is triply exhausted now as she rolls sternally and regards the twins, who are dark and nestled together as if two halves of a whole. The filly is darker, white tracing only up her legs and over one hip, while the gold of drips down her withers. The colt is slightly more burnt copper, with lots of white, each spot edged in gold. She is very glad that the gold is the only thing they seem to have gotten from their sire. Helaena she thinks while she touches the girl, who lifts her head and gives it a little tilt, as if she has read it from her mother’s thoughts; in the same instant she can hear that that is the truth. Ikarus she silently names the colt, who shows no such talent; but when she reaches down he swivels around to bump his nose against hers, and Kaite can hear in his scattered baby thoughts that he had known she would touch him then.

“Hello my darlings,” she says aloud with a warm smile. “It is so nice to finally meet you.”

darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
    manip by littlewillow-art.deviantart.com ▵ html Devin's Designs '20 ▵ poem by anne sexton

The Isle seemed to Sobriety a place of recluse, though her mind knew it was not - or at least, not meant to be. The northernmost point of the world, however, had been showered with dusty snow once more, and this time she knew it would stay - or at least, on the northern half of the little Northern island. There where a blue, ice-like flame cracked up a never-burning tree, there was no heat to chase the ice away.

And she wouldn’t want it any other way.

Occasionally though, the chocolate mare found herself wandering south. Sachin couldn’t stay away from the other boys his age, of course, and her teal and winged son wouldn’t come to harm under his great-grandfather’s watchful eye, but it felt strange watching him grow up so fast. He had no siblings or other family to play with, but thankfully, the northern dragon had managed to convince a few young ones to stay a year here - longer only if they wanted to, themselves.

Her silver mane catch the sunlight in a metallic gleam when the ice-bred mare turns her head, catching a faint scent on the wind - a stranger, but most of all a mare’s scent mixed with the scent of birth. Now that was something new on this Isle - so far, no other mare than she had chosen this place for her child, and Sobriety herself had been aided by the ice in her blood - never feeling cold in this landscape. Sachin seemed to have it too, she had noticed; he never tucked his wings to his sides for warmth, only for comfort if she needed to scold him for coming home too late. An event that seemed to get more frequent over time.

Hooves click-clack on the parts of the Isle that were black granite, the sound dampened when she touched moss or snow instead, and hollowly changed if it happened to be ice. She does not hide her approach, searching for the new mother on the plains.

”Hello there,” she greets the dark bay and her twins with a smile, rounding a corner and an extremely sturdy, prickly bush that had hidden them from view just before. ”And welcome, I think.” she gives a small smile, thinking the mare must be tired after having two - she remembers her own battle for Sachin’s life, and doesn’t want to imagine going through that twice in a row. She settles into a hip, watching the babies (gold, a family trait for Sobriety as well, though her mane seemed to have changed it to silver instead; but they don’t otherwise look familiar and she dismisses the thought quickly), then turns back to their mother. ”If you need anything, let me know?” she offers - the Isle has lacked young life like this, and she cannot help but feel the spark of hope in her chest, that this may become more common over time. Perhaps the boys may indeed attract some girls their age - suddenly she realizes that that must have been his plan all along.

@[Kaite] this took ages, sorry! I haven’t played her a lot, sorry if she’s a bit rusty