• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I know I need us more than I need me // colby-pon
    i know i need us more than i need me
    Early morning finds me lost in the woods.

The promises I made to Iri the night before last echo in my mind's ear as though to taunt me, I promise I'll find something new to show you out in the woods Iri! I'll bring it back by tomorrow night! But by now 'tomorrow night' has come and gone, leaving behind a navy-jade sky scattered with but the brightest of stars. Even they will twinkle out soon.

My eyes drop from where they clung to the sky. Such an affinity I have for the sky, the night sky most of all; ever since that night so long ago, I cannot seem to escape the sky. The stars fixed themselves upon me, strewn in my mane and tail as glowing white orbs. They even supply enough starlight for me to be able to fly during dawn and dusk, when neither star nor sun supply me with what my wings require to function. Exhaustion takes hold of me with great ease when I force myself to fly on such little reserve but it is good to know that I can do it, just in case.

I wonder if tonight will be one such case. Dawn will be here in an hour or two.

With a full body shiver, I force myself to look at the problem. 
    (Did you really think I would stay out past bedtime and get lost in the forest and stay there til I couldn't fly on purpose?? Gods, no.)
    I wish mother could come get me, I whine to myself. And it would be easy enough for her to do so, if I could just fall asleep and cry out for her, or even for Iri or my biggest sister, Warlight. One peep in the dream world and I'd get poofed back home before I could say "Svedka's you're uncle."
    The only problem: my side.

Well, my shoulder, to be more exact. To make a long and stupid half-yearling story short, my escapade through the forest in search of the perfect token for Iridian resulted in a jagged tree limb imbedding itself in my shoulder, scant inches away from where my wings attach their starlit selves into my flesh. As I processed the shock of the thing, I wondered to myself whether my wings could have taken any harm from such a physical source, or if the branch would have just gone through them instead... I figure I can count myself lucky that I didn't have to find out. Flesh heals, who knows about starlight appendages!

Flesh, I soon found out, does not heal fast enough. One attempt at flight proved disastrous in terms of pain (it hurt more to do this than it did to get stabbed!); and the walk home would take so long. So long that, after some hours, I still cannot find the edge of the forest.

Navigation proves so much easier from above. Ugh! 

My face screws up in a tantrum-like sob. Anger, frustration, fear. I want to sleep but my sides throb and I'm scared. I've never spent a night without mother and mama beside me. It would be so easy just to sleep and wake up back home!

With a high-pitched squeal of anger, I send my weight back and bring my forehooves down into the loam of the forest. A cry of pain comes next as the motion jars my injured shoulder, the muscles there contracting around the branch that yet protrudes from me, a drop of blood squeezing its way out of the wound and down, down, down, until it meets the ground.
    Indius

@[Colby]
    [Image: indi]

She spends so much time lost in the woods that she is starting to think she isn’t lost at all. It works as a good enough excuse, at least, to tell her mother when she arrives home late at night or early in the morning or really any time other than when she is supposed to. She doesn’t think her mother believes her, exactly, but Desire never says anything to contradict her. She doubts her mother ever clung to her own mother’s side, either, so it makes sense that while she preferred her twin glass daughters to stay close, it never angered her that they did not.

Sometimes she can convince Clementia to disappear with her, although she finds herself alone most of the time. It was never something that she did on purpose – she adored her sister and would share every memory with her if she could. But there was a restlessness in her bones that she found impossible to ignore. It hummed like a livewire just beneath the surface of her skin, drove her to dark corners and hidden valleys, across rivers and over hills. She was powerless to it; she heeded that wanderlust every time it struck her, no questions asked.

She is standing ankle-deep in a stream that winds through the forest, studying the life that lives below the shimmering surface, when she hears a short cry. Lifting her head, she goes entirely still, nearly holding her breath as she strains for any other sounds. She thinks she can hear rustling, and with slow and cautious steps, she retreats from the stream, following the sounds of someone rustling and fidgeting.

When she finds him, the sight of him makes her gasp, her lilac-colored eyes widening in alarm. “What happened?” She asks him as she rushes forward without taking a moment to gauge whether he was welcoming to strange glass girls nearly crashing into his personal space. “I would ask if you’re okay, but I mean....” she gestures at the blood dripping down his side where the branch protruded from his skin, her face shadowed with sympathy and worry, though maybe also a little bit of fascination. She stares hard at the injury, her eyes narrowing in thought before saying slowly, “I think I could pull it out. Will you let me try?”

I don’t believe that anybody
    feels the way I do about you now
    H  O  U  R  G  L  A S S

@[Indius]
    Gasp!

The girlish sound of her surprise sends a nervous jolt through my skinny figure, one that causes the white of my cheeks to pink with embarrassment. Of course, I can't help that the first thing I notice about the approacher is how pretty she is, with those star-like swirls over top of what appears to be THE shiniest, most liquid-glimmeriest coat I've ever seen. One hard blink sets her image in my mind for good and ever. I can't wait to show Iridian!

Her initial question goes into one ear and out the other as I make cow-eyes at her -- but she doesn't seem to notice that yet either as she comes crashing towards me. Barreling, really. When her hoof comes way too close to a tree root I rush forward intending to catch her but instead we end up bumping chests like two nectar-drunk bumblebees. My blush intensifies as I scramble back, eyes fluttering to the ground.

Wait, why did she feel hollow?? And -- hard?

My fascination with the concept of glass comes to an abrupt end as she asks to pull out the offending branch. Without the dancing tone of her request (I think I could pull it out. Will you let me try?), I may well have forgotten that I had a shoulder at all, nevermind that things like branches exist.

"Uhm," I stutter, wanting to press my lips against her iridescent cheek and taking a dopey step forward with half a mind to do so. "Uhm, oh -- Yeah!" My pink lips stretch into a boyish grin, the stars in my forelock obscuring the blue of my right eye as I turn to present her with the branch. The branch could be a forest fire for all I'd care now that I have her to look at. "Yeah, I'd love to let you uhm, try!"

And with that, I pin my ears to my skull and brace for impact, legs sprawled and muscles taut as I fail to cognate that if I want her to like me, I should probably act tough.
    Indius

@[Hourglass]

She doesn’t notice the way he looks at her, because it is not the worry she is accustomed to. Most often, someone takes a look at her fragile, glass body, and all they can worry about is her breaking. She can’t really fault them for that, she supposes. It would not take much for her to shatter, even if she has convinced herself she is stronger than she really is. Her intangibility can only get her so far. There was always a chance it would not be there when she needed it most.

And there was always a chance that delicate glass heart of hers would break long before her body did.

The branch protruding from his shoulder distracted her enough that she only just barely noticed how pretty he was; she recognizes the faint sheen to his skin and the glowing starlight in his mane and tail. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she thinks she wants to ask him how he managed to be made of the night sky, but he gives her permission to remove the branch and her attention shifts.

“Okay, um, this is....probably going to hurt,” she tells him apologetically. Grasping the offending limb in a place relatively close to his body, she takes a deep breath, and with all the strength she can muster gives a firm, sharp yank.

It doesn’t come out quite as easy as she had imagined, but she does get it out, and she tells herself that’s the part that really matters. Her lilac eyes widen a little when blood starts dripping from the now open wound, and reflexively she wipes it away with her glass muzzle. “I’m sorry, but I’m pretty sure it will stop bleeding soon, and at least now it can start healing, and it probably feels better not being stuck in your shoulder, right?” The words spill from her mouth like water, her eyes now brimming with concern, desperately searching for any sign that he didn’t think she had just made his injury worse.

H  O  U  R  G  L  A S S

@[Indius]
    Okay, um, this is... probably going to hurt, says the glass girl and Indi nods, ready for the pain to come. Or at least, he thinks he's ready.

"YEEEOUCH!" The cry splits his lips on the filly's third and final tug on the bastardous branch; he just couldn't hold it in any more! Making a frowny face to ward off the tears that prick at his dual-coloured eyes, Indius turns to look at the damage.

Whoo...

Steeling himself against the faintness which comes over him at the sight of what must be six whole drops of blood smeared against his new friend's face, Indius blinks hard and tries to concentrate on the words tumbling out of said friend's pretty mouth. Pretty and gorey, he thinks, failing in his mission to pay attention; but anyway, her point gets across, and Indius mimics her stumbling attempt at conversation with gusto.

"No, it feels better don't worry! Thank you, it really means a lot that you would help me, I'm Indius by the way, I think you're really pretty and I'm wondering what your name is too?"

Above, morning dawns in its full glory; and with the resurgence of this solar system's star, the young boy's wings begin to glow, starry and nebulous and construed of what lay beyond the limits of this realm. On his back, the wings shuffle into place, lending him a sense of comfort and security that he had just a moment ago been lacking.

"I'm sure I'll be okay," he offers, gazing into the other's lilac eyes with what he hopes is a reassuring smile. "I really feel better now that you're here..."
    Indius

""
    @[Hourglass]

She winces at his cry, and the sympathy is clear when it fills her lilac eyes and shadows her face. “I know, I’m so sorry, I wish I could have done that in a way that it didn’t hurt.” She stares again at his wound, and curiosity slowly begins to replace her regret. She reaches forward again, gently touching where the branch had been lodged into his skin – marvelling at the way the flesh was torn, how the solid object had sunk into it. She thinks of what would happen to her own shoulder, how if she did not have intangibility that it would have shattered her clean apart.

What a silly thing that she would have died from, and she realizes why her parents had fretted over her so much.

“Hourglass,” she answers him with a brilliant smile, forgetting her previous dark thoughts. “My name is Hourglass.”

The sun catches the starlight of his wings, then, and she gasps in delight. “Your wings!” She laughs as she reaches out to touch them, wondering if they feel as magical as they look. She withdraws to touch her nose to her glass chest, where the nebula spirals from the center of it, and she tells him with a smile, “We match, almost.” She looks back at his wings, and it reminds her of the galaxy painted across her mother’s side, and how Desire said it reflected the galaxy she had been created in. “Did you have to go to the stars to get them for your wings?”

H  O  U  R  G  L  A S S

@[Indius]