• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

maybe its for the best
    ↼ORIASH⇁

they promised that dreams come true

Life has always felt purposeless for Ori, but it had grown worse since she left Loess. Though in the end, she did not belong there anymore than she belonged anywhere else, beside the Cove. That too had changed though, was no longer the home she’d once known. Perhaps she could go back anyway, but she has seen what’s become of her home, has seen who leads it, and she does not know that she is made to stand up to such things.

In some other lifetime, perhaps she grew into her power. In this life though, it overtook her.

So she wandered the common lands, debating going to the field, finding herself hesitating and sticking to the places she knows. The river and the forest, the illusion of a deer trailing along behind her. All her friends were make believe, a thing you are supposed to grow out of but a thing a lost illusionist does not leave behind. She had not even seen Pteron in months...years? How long had it been?

Perhaps she out to go find him, but she does not. Instead she wanders, her mind drifting to stories and lives she would never experience. The deer flickers out of view, and her mother appears behind her instead. Kagerus. Always Kagerus. The ghost she cannot shake, though she shoves at her power and tamps it down, the image disappearing, leaving Ori alone beneath the trees. Maybe that is for the best.

but they forgot that nightmares are dreams too

@[yadigar]

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

YADIGAR
    there’s a hole in my chest but it’s mine, baby, it’s all i got.
    His father speaks often of having a purpose in life, but Yadigar has always wondered what his is. Would the rest of his days be spent as the doormat for others, the punching bag for their bad days? There remains a flickering hope for something better in his heart but it gets harder to imagine any other future each day. Still, there is at least a sense of duty that remains steadfast within him. Yadigar knows he can be the shield that withstands the storm of his father’s fury if he only holds on a little longer.

One day, the mountain will hear his plea and find him worthy of becoming that shield. But this is not that day. His defeat is evident in the way he hangs his head and keeps his wings tucked tight to his back. It would be faster to simply fly home, of course, but he prefers to take a detour through the forests today on foot. The longer he keeps away from the Cove and Pangea, the better.

He lifts his head just in time to see the blur of her illusions breathing into life behind her. Yadigar’s remaining eye is blind but he blinks it out of habit, trying to be sure his sight does not fool him. The false image of her mother is a thin veil of red warmth that he is not accustomed to seeing, the shadow of the real thing. His head tilts this way and that as he regards them both. One seems entirely solid but he is intrigued by her just the same.

Slowly, he creeps forward on quiet talons. His spiked tail curls upwards to display his curious disposition. Yet, he keeps his face tilted to the left to hide that disfigurement from her view. Yadigar clears his throat in an effort to announce his presence gently.

Are you.. Are you real?” he asks as he looks between the two of them. His voice is quiet and thin, not at all befitting a towering monster of scales and teeth. But he keeps his distance in case he frightens her. He had sight just long enough to know how ugly he seems.
    @[Oriash]
    ↼ORIASH⇁

She was born with powers, gifted with what so many others seek. Quite extraordinary powers, if she bothered to do anything with them besides create imaginary friends and impossibly large flowers. Such magic did not give her any sense of purpose though. Perhaps it is because of the type she wields, the ability to distort reality, which leaves her without a place in reality itself. After all, in some ways, she is not entirely of this world but rather stuck somewhere between the truth and the world of her own making. She cannot always tell the difference.

She would be rather impressed at herself to find out that he can detect heat signatures from her illusions though. How real that is, even if it is imperfect. No matter her skill, there would always be imperfections. But still, perhaps with such knowledge and someone willing to sit around and help her, she could learn to correct their heat as well, to make the illusions even more realistic than they previously had been.

Of course, she knows no such thing, and at the approach of the colt the illusions blink out of existence. Though it is hard to call the boy that approaches her a colt. He is more dragon than horse, really, which in this world is not a strange thing. She has seen far stranger. Perhaps he ought to frighten her, but his demeanour seems kind and his voice is shockingly soft, and maybe she simply cannot bring herself to care what happens to her.

“I think so,” she says, because sometimes she is not sure. “Are you?” Because that too she can never really be sure of.

@[yadigar]

YADIGAR
    there’s a hole in my chest but it’s mine, baby, it’s all i got.
    Yadigar startles easily and this fact does not change when her illusions simply vanish. He snorts and skitters back two or three steps. She certainly doesn’t seem hostile and yet his heart rattles around his ribs in a frantic fuss. Magic, in all its wild forms, is still a mystery that he has little interest in studying or practicing – unless it can turn him into a small songbird, perhaps. Something to make him small and invisible to the troublesome world in which he exists.

The boy calms a bit when she speaks, refocusing him as he maintains the distance between them. Is he real? He looks down at himself and considers the question for a few more hurried heartbeats. It’s quite possible he is merely a nightmare, he supposes. It would explain a great deal of his heartbreak thus far in life. But that would give him the dreadful hope of waking up some day and so he crushes the idea. There is enough disappointment here for him already.

I’m not sure, but I believe I am,” he finally says as he lifts his chin to look at her once more. Her horns are thin and pretty, he notices, and her wings are made of feathers rather than scales. Perhaps she was not bred for war and violence as he was. He envies her appearance but says nothing of it. “My name is Yadigar. What’s yours?

He takes a single step forward, hesitantly optimistic to have a second friend to call his own.
    @[Oriash]
    ↼ORIASH⇁

She is not unfamiliar with the crushing weight of disappointment. Though she knows nothing of his struggles, she can relate to the pain that he feels if nothing else (not that she knows of it yet, either). Still, she has lived a life of disappointments and has never managed to crawl out from beneath them.

The way he skitters back from her catches her attention though, makes her wonder what life this child has led so far. She is not a scary thing, and she does not know how he sees and so cannot know how strange the illusion is to him as it disappears. Though what she finds most shocking is how someone, the size and make of him, can be afraid of anything at all. What horror has he lived that he is so fearful?

”I have come to the belief that to believe something real usually makes it so. And I have spent much of my life thinking on the matter.” She doesn’t quite elaborate, given that she has never been particularly good at small talk or realizing that context is helpful. Telling people she is an illusionist would probably be helpful, but she never thinks of it really.

He seems to relax though, offering his name and taking a step forward. Ori has always been terrible at making friends, though she could use some in her life. Maybe she’ll do better with children then she does with adults (not that she speaks to very many horses at all lately). “I am Ori. Where are you from, Yadigar? I have not seen you in this area before.” Not that she has some claim to having seen all the nomads of Beqanna, but she has spent some time here now and many of the faces were familiar.

@[yadigar]