• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I am a mermaid that you dreamt // Beachmasters

I V A R
    i'll use you as a makeshift gauge
    of how much to give and how much to take
    The nereid looks concerned – or perhaps furious, Ivar has never been the best at discerning the difference – but her voice is still soft. Perhaps she thinks she is being frightening, and perhaps if Ivar had a better sense of self preservation he would be frightened.

As it is, he allows her to act as though she knows his mares better than he does. They will not like intruders if Ivar does not wish them to like intruders, but perhaps Aquaria will need to see as much for herself. She snaps at him (that, at least, he can recognize as anger), but then Brennen is speaking and Ivar is forced to look at the unnatural creature. He does so from the corner of his eye, though he turns just the slightest bit as Brennen says he is willing to use his magic to search. That Ivar is willing to let him do so should say quite a bit, but then, Aquaria does not know his history with magic and with Brennen.

“No,” Ivar replies. This” is her island.” He lifts one hoof and places it back on the sand, and indicator that he means the main island of Ischia. “but Kelpie is my island.”

The shifter speaks up then, offering to display even more magic, and Ivar barely manages to hide the scoff that rises in his throat. He is quiet, even when Aodhan moves into the water, and turns back to face Aquaria with an unnatural slowness.

“If that shifter touches my island after I've told it not to, I will slit it throat to belly and feed my children on its entrails.” He tells her, his voice quiet and his face still. 

“I will let Brennen use his magic, and you may search my island. Without me, even, if that makes you feel better. But I will not allow strangers into my home to upset my family, and if you attempt to bully me into it I will devote all my attention to finding your children.” And she will not like what he does once he has found them, is what his following silence says. Yet he makes no aggressive motion, even flicks his damp tail casually against his haunches. Aodhan is making his way closer and closer to his death, but he’s laid the responsibility for that in front of Aquaria.

Will she stop, he wonders, or will he have to fight three magicians?

@[Aquaria]

and i'll use you as a warning sign
    that if you talk enough sense then you'll lose your mind
    aquaria
    - THE TIDE IS HIGH, IT'S SINK OR SWIM -

She was out of patience for the tobiano stallion. The pink white shells of her ears tipped backward, neck stiff and snaky. One after another, her steps brought her closer to him. Teeth gleaming dully, she smiled.

"If you would like to argue about your place in this territory, I would be more than happy to clarify things for you. After I find my children." Her eyes followed Aodhan as the gentle shifter stallion made his way to the sea, his body suddenly sinuous and twisting. She was eager to follow him, but Ivar's next words froze her to the spot. Ice ran in her veins. Never before had this kind of cold rage found the mare, and she found herself trembling. 

"You harm one of my folk, and your own life is forfeit. And if you touch even one scale on my children, I will kill you myself." It was not a question, or even a suggestion. It was a solemn oath that she did not doubt her ability to follow through with. Not in that moment. Her stillness matched his own, a mare made of white stone and brittle shell. 

Without breaking eye contact, she lifted her head, lips peeled away from her teeth. The fins along her crest flared like a posturing fish's. Aquaria had never been a large mare. She was not tall, or broad. Most days there was nothing particularly intimidating about her at all. Today was not most days. Not to anyone who was witness to the ferocious spark now burning in her eyes. 

"Brennen," She was glad that there was no tremble to her voice. "I would be very grateful if you would stay here with Ivar while Aodhán and I go search Kelpie. Please." Up until the last word, where her traitor voice cracked. A deep breath steadied her for the time being. "I trust you to keep him from doing anything foolish. And if he does. Do as you see fit." Her teeth clipped together, words bitten off. It was time to go. She needed to go. They were just wasting time bickering here, and she was sick of it.

- MY ONLY RIVAL IS WITHIN -

@[Brennen]
    so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
    'cause oh that gave me such a fright
    Some have wondered why Brennen continues to live in Ischia, when he serves Nerine and the Brilliant Pampas. Perhaps those who wonder have forgotten that Brennen’s magic is tied to the water. Nerine might be a seaside Kingdom as well, but not much beats the kick of being surrounded by water. Perhaps also they do not know of his history here – it is not currently his land, but a part of his soul belongs here.

A part of him wants to bristle at Ivar’s threats against Aodhan, his disregard of Aquaria’s position here, but the more ruthless part of Brennen wants to see them fight their own battles, to an extent. He would, out of mere academic curiosity, love to see the shifter and the kelpie face off. It would be an interested battle, and perhaps one the old warrior could learn some new tricks from. And he’s always up for testing the mettle of whoever claims to rule Ischia, but in the end, he would not allow Ivar to wrest it from this mare. Would not trust his family’s safety on Heim if Ivar was any more prominent here.

Idly, he wonders if anyone realizes exactly how dangerous Ischia is at the moment, with its current residents. The Beachmasters are certainly a powerful group.

Amber eyes resting on Aquaria as she threatens Ivar, Brennen considers for the first time that Aquaria might be dangerous as well. It fills him…not with pride, because she is not really anything to him to have pride in, but with satisfaction in the least. When she issues her request, he lowers his dished face in a long, slow nod. “It would be my pleasure,” comes the quiet drawl, and the smile on his face when he turns back to Ivar is more a baring of teeth.

Taking a single step to steady his position, Brennen locks gaze on Ivar, prepared to engage physically if the blue and white moves. Extending his senses out into the depths of the familiar sun-warmed sea, he pulls on the magic to weave a net of bright magic strands around himself and the other stallion, infusing them with all of his own irritation at Ivar as well as his determination. A light test of the magic would offer a stinging rebuke; a true attempt to breach the barrier would offer a reactionary force to match the escape attempt, throwing the escapee back into the circle of sand.

A part of him hopes Ivar is uncooperative. Brennen hasn’t had a good fight recently.
    but I will hold, as long as you like
    just promise me we'll be alright
    BrenneN

@[Ivar]