• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Would You Go Too?
    Questa stopped at the edge of the river. She stared down at her reflection for a moment before closing her eyes. She sighed a sigh of relief before opening her eyes once more. It was a warm day. So warm that the mare decided to go for a quick dip. She had found a slow spot in the river where she could safely go in and out. She stepped in slowly and made her way across. The water pulled at her mane and tail, extending them by a couple of inches. She stepped out on the other side, her tail easily dragging the ground behind her, even more so than usual. She shook the remaining water from her dark coat and continued on her way.

She was unaware of her destination but was not concerned with that. Her thoughts were occupied by something more concerning, in her eyes. She had no idea where she was. Would she run into trouble? Would no one be there to help her? She worried that way whenever she was confronted with a new situation. She had decided to stick by the river, maybe it would take her somewhere safe. Questa came to s sudden halt, she could hear rustling in front of her. She leaned her weight to her hinds, ready to flee. Then a small bird flew out from a wooded area and her body relaxed. "Why am I this way...it was only a harmless bird."  She whispered to herself. She let her guard down for a moment, ridiculing herself.
    L E P I S
    i hear the voice of rage and ruin
    To her left, the river chatters. Though it is shallower now in the heart of summer, it has been delightfully cool when she’d waded in earlier. Now, eyes-half open, she drowses and dries. When her wings are no longer damp, she means to return to Loess. For now, she is content to breathe in the fresh scent of growing things, feel the breeze that lifts her dripping mane, and listen to the sound of the River. Lepis had spent her morning in the Field, searching for those in need of a home. She’d spoken to a few of them, but either Loess was not right for them or they were not right for Loess. Rather than feel as though the day was a waste, she’d gone for a swim in the nearby Riverlands, deciding that the rest of the day would be a relaxing one.

There are plenty of responsibilities waiting for her when she returns, but for now she takes this moment as it is. As always, when she dozes or near-dozes, she projects an aura of peace. It does not range far from her, but it is heavy, an intangible barrier of emotion to those who might wish her harm. Its not defense from non-physical attacks, or from those outside the projection, but it is enough for her to rest. She has wings to defend herself, after all, and teeth and hooves if it comes to it.

Drifting in to sleep, Lepis sees the by mare wandering along the opposite edge of the River. Dirfting out of sleep reveals that the other woman has crossed the river while she dozed, and is making her way nearer Lepis. The dun doubts that she has noticed her, tucked into the greenery as Lepis is, and the bay will likely pass right by. When the other horse stiffens though, Lepis’ instinct tugs at her, and she feels the sleep fall away. She is a herd animal at her core, after all, attuned to the wary responses of her own kind. It’s just a bird though, a little sparrow that zooms out of the thicket and over the river.

Lepis chuckles ruefully at her own wariness rather than the bay’s reaction, and steps forward from the brush a few paces ahead of the other female. Though she pulls back her projection, the gentle smile remains on her navy blue mouth.

“Better safe than sorry,” she says, her blue-grey eyes flicking toward where the bird had flown. “And It’s easier to keep watch with two pairs of eyes. Would you mind if I walk with you a little a while I dry?” Her head tilts inquisitively, the still damp curls of her hair falling a little to the side. “My name is Lepis,” she adds.
    @[Questa]
    n | l
    Just as soon as the whisper had left Questa's mouth she realizes she is not alone. She stops, her head raises when the uniquely colored mare steps into her path. She is sure she has never seen another with such an appearance. Normally she might shy away but this unfamiliar mare does not seem to frighten her. Questa wondered what the other was laughing about. Surely it was her foolish reaction to a small bird. Either way, Lepis seems to speak to her in a tone that suggests no harm. Her body relaxes.
    The young mare nods in response. "No, I wouldn't mind that at all." Her tone is quiet and slightly unsure. "Good to meet you, my name is Questa." she steps forward to join her new acquaintance. She glances over at her every few steps, examining her unusual appearance. She has many questions. She came from a place where everyone seemed to look normal, or at least what she perceived to be normal. Maybe this was the normal here, and she was the odd one out. Truly, she just wanted to know where she was. "Where am I? I just stumbled here a few nights ago." She looked over at Lepis with a somewhat troubled look.
    L E P I S
    i hear the voice of rage and ruin
    “Lovely,” Lepis replies, stepping forward and matching her pace to that of the other mare. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Questa.” She adds.

This is not the first time in recent days that a stranger has had trouble prying their eyes from Lepis’ wings. The realization brings an amused crease to the lines around the dun mare’s eyes; she gently flutters the wing nearest the bay in an almost playful manner.

“They don’t bite,”she says, her tone lighthearted. For all her mention of keeping watch, it is clear that the pegasus does not expect much danger.“And they’re very far from the oddest things you’ll see here.”

“Here is Beqanna,” the dun continues. “Though more specifically, this is one of the common lands – the River.” She has not missed the troubled look in the other’s eyes, nor the lack of surety in her tone when she’d spoken. The girl is new to Beqanna; Lepis could have guessed that even without the other’s admission. The idea of coming to a new land – or rather, of leaving Beqanna – is a foreign one to the pegasus, and yet this world seems to draw in others like a lodestone. Questa, Lomasi, Oceane. They all come from different worlds though, and for all her lack of interest in leaving, she is eager to learn more of them.

“Did you mean to come here, then? Or is this place just a stepping stone to a journey elsewhere?”

@[Questa]
    n | l