• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

A new wild flower comes to Beqanna
    From the tree line, the strawberry roan paint mare watched the horses already in the field. She was new to the area and was very cautious to her new surroundings. Lomasi had left her father's herd over a year ago, wanting to start the next chapter of her life. As a young filly she had heard stories the Beqanna was a place of new beginnings. She had turned 6 this year and wanted to explore the magical place of new starts and adventures The strawberry roan mare swished her red and white tail as she slowly walked from the shadows of the tree line. Her hazel eyes scanned the field for a small spot, not too close but not too far away from the others as not to stand out too much. Once she found the perfect spot she sighed and began to graze.
    L E P I S
    i hear the voice of rage and ruin
    The dun mare stands at the edge of the field, breathing in the springtime air as the gust of afternoon wind tugs at the long hair of her navy mane. That hair falls thick and waving across her shoulders after the breeze passes, concealing most of the old scars that mar her neck and back. The open plain ahead of her bustles, as the Field often does. She watches as a roan stallion interacts with a paint in the distance, but does not linger long. Instead, she follows the edge of the treeline with her blue-grey eyes, pausing as she comes across a pale mare who appears to be doing much the same as Lepis: watching.

Intrigued, the pegasus observes the younger mare as she emerges from the shadows. The other moves to stand near – but not too near – most of the assembled horses. Not a social butterfly then, Lepis surmises, or perhaps just not comfortable with strangers. Smart, Lepis thinks, and makes her decision. She is here to expand Loess, but she prides herself on being discerning. Loess needs to grow, but how it grows is far more important than the speed at which it does. A tree that grows too quickly is thin and spindly, breaking at the first harsh gust of wind. Better to grow slowly and more solidly, better to appear unassuming while gathering the strength to stand tall.

“Hello,” Lepis says, drawing to a halt a comfortable distance away from the roan mare. She has no wish to crowd the stranger. “Am I right to assume you are here looking for a home?” The dun mare asks, tilting her head curiously. The other mare is not as young as Lepis had first assumed; she is an adult, if a young one. Perhaps the age of Lepis’ eldest daughter, the monarch thinks to herself. “My name is Lepis, and I am Queen of Loess.”

@[Lomasi]

n | l
    The blue roan mare snorted in the hay-sweet air, the trill of birds filling her ears as she meandered across the horse studded meadow. A quiet smile pulled at her lips as she jogged out, knickering softly to the leggy colt trailing her path. "Keep up now, Mikael, we haven't got all day." She chided good-naturedly when he stopped to bury his fuzzy nose in a cluster of yarrow blooms. 

The matted tangle of her black mane swayed in the breeze, the gentle air bringing scents of other's from across the broad plain. Mares, stallions, smaller muskier creatures. It was a constantly evolving place, one she knew like her own hooves. She found herself taking a new look at it though, through her boisterous colt's eyes. That energy! It had been years since she'd had a foal by her side, and he took her breath away with his constant motion. 

The darkly roaned boy leapt and danced after butterflies, bucked when a frightened rabbit jumped from its cover. Stuck his impertinent nose in everyone's lunch and then ran away giggling like a fool. Like now. Tick's head swung to the side in exasperated alarm as the colt's voice rang out. 

"Hi! Who are you? I'm Mikael! Do you live here? Is that grass good? It looks good. Do you ever eat-" the flow of words was abruptly cut off when the grey shaded mare finally set eyes on him, her sharp squeal a warning he knew better than to ignore. Ears back in embarrassment she knew would be quickly forgotten, the berry-toned child made his way back to his mother's side as she stepped closer to the mares her son had been chattering at. 

"Don't mind him," she sighed apologetically to the reddish mare and her blue companion who'd been grazing so peacefully moments ago. "He's never been to the field before and I'm afraid my son was not blessed with an abundance of common sense." She smiled, the tone of her words far more amused than the words themselves might have suggested. "I'm Tickaani, and I believe I heard my son introduce himself. Mikael. He can talk the hind leg off a mule, but he means well." She chuckled, eyes soft. 

Her expression went a little harder at the blue mare's own introduction. She'd never had much time for queens, or any other kind of royalty. A whole lot of bluster for nothing, she figured, but to each their own. And the wings didn't help things either. Magic, she didn't hold with that any more than she did with royalty. Even if it ran in its own way through her herd, it was quiet magic, natural in its way. Nothing so flamboyant as she knew it could be. 

@[Lomasi]
    Lomasi's ears pricked in the direction of approaching hooves, she raised her head hazel eyes locking onto the peeling dun pegasus who came to a halt in front of her. This was not the first time Lomasi had seen a hybrid, as a foal she had led some of her half siblings on a small adventure hike to see the hybrids near her home, it did not end well when she was scolded for sneaking out. This was the first time one had approached her to even spoke with her. The strawberry roan mare discreetly took in the scent of the new stranger...*a mare*...Lomasi told herself as she listened. Lomasi's eyes widened at Lepis's words, *She is a queen!!, of course she is just look at her!* the mare thought to herself before coming back to reality. " Was I that easy to read?" the roan mare said with a shy smile. "It is nice to meet you your highness, my name is Lomasi." she said as she dipped her head in respect.
    L E P I S
    Though the spring afternoon had not been dull, it is certainly enlivened by the arrival of a talkative young foal, whose barrage of questions is as bright as his coloring. The dun mare’s grey eyes remain on the boy who has introduced himself as Mikael, but her ears tell her of the impending arrival of his mother, as does the scent of the approaching roan. The mother cuts off her foal’s chattering with a sharp whistle, and he returns to her side in time just as she comes near enough to speak to Lepis and her roan companion. There was a reason that Lepis had never brought a nursling child to the Field: she is not sure she could have gotten them as quiet as quickly as Tickaani had. Though she does surmise that the boy’s vivacious nature will not be dimmed for very long, especially given the good humor evident in his mother’s voice as she introduces herself before apologizing for his behavior.

“I think my leg’s still attached,” Lepis replies with an amused smile of her own, continuing the jest despite her own normal-length ears. “Better bold than too shy, anyway.” That is her belief at least, and the way that she has raised her own children. She does not mind the chatter, and hopes that Lomasi does not either. She looks back at the roan mare, whose head lowering in respect provides equilibrium to the hardness that appears in Tickaani’s at Lepis’ introduction.

“It’s good to meet you too, Lomasi. Tickaani. Mikael.” As she says each name, her storm blue eyes meet those of the horse, respectful and polite even with softly amused smile that has still not faded from her blue lips. Lomasi asks if she was easy to read, and the lines around Lepis eyes deepen as she shakes her head with a soft chuckle. “We are in the Field,” she tells Lomasi. “Horses here are either looking for a home or looking for someone to offer one to. I’m the latter.” There’s a brief pause as she looks back to Tickaani. “Which are you, Tickaani?”

@[Lomasi]
    @[Tickaani]

n | l
    The strawberry roam mare's expression softened as she watched the colt, she used to watch her younger siblings as she was one of the oldest. The dark roan colt reminded her of  younger brother, brave and bold. 

Lomasi dipped her head in a greeting to the blue roan mare Tickanni, Lomasi's mother had made sure to teach her children respect for their elders and those of higher rank in the herd.

The younger mare listened to Lepi's reassuring words that is was not because she was easy to read, more so the place they were in and the purpose of the field. A soft smile cane to Lomasi's face, her ears pricked at the perlino dun mares words. *She is going to offer me a home* Lomasi thought to herself before her hazel eye traveled from Lepis to Tickanni. She wondered what the blue roan mare's answer would be.
    Tick watched the red mare's face carefully, lips twitching with a barely masked grin. Well, perhaps her reason for being here was made obvious by the locale, but there was not a feeling that girl had that didn't cross her face first. Easy to read, indeed. 

Mikael was, for the time being, amusing himself. That his amusement came from tugging and nibbling at her tail was an irritation she was willing to deal with if it meant she got a few moment's of peace to converse in. A little bit miffed that the red mare, Lomasi, seemed far more interested in this Lepis' presence than her own, she nevertheless soldiered on. Why not, what else did she have to do today? 

Finding a wry smile for the winged woman, she nodded at the observation. "He is, at that," her eyes flicked back at the mulberry colt currently wearing her thick tail as a wig. "You'll forgive a mother for asking for a little caution, though. We do tend to live longer with it." She shrugged one pale shoulder. There were those, she knew, who would manage to live forever despite all lack of common sense. Another pitfall of magic, she supposed. 

Her head was held as high as any queen's when she turned to address the soft spoken redhead. "I too offer a home, though it seems you're not getting much variety," she admitted. "My herd currently lives in the Pampas. Land of wildflowers and butterflies and a territory of dear Lepis' kingdom. Just without the temperamental dragons." Her eyes gleamed with mischief at the deadpan phrase. Or maybe this Lomasi would find the destructive creatures fascinating. It was always possible. 

@[Lepis] @[Lomasi]
    L E P I S
    Watching the roan mare, whose expression softens toward the young foal, Lepis wonders briefly if the woman has children of her own. She looks young herself (though that is no barrier), but feels the question is one for better acquaintances. It is Lepis’ hope that she might ask it of her someday, of course, if the red mare chooses to accept the offer that Lepis has not yet made. When Lomasi turns toward Tickaani, the dun does as well. The Pampas. That explains the familiar scent, one that had pulled at the edge of her mind. She does know the Pampas, and as more than just a territory that she rules.

“The Pampas is a beautiful place,” she tells Lomasi, confirming the tales of wildflowers and butterflies. “I spent time there during the Plague some years back, and the leader there – Noah – is a good friend of mine.” It is good to know that her coppery friend is no longer alone among the brilliant grasslands, Lepis thinks, even if it the company of a herd with members that Lepis does not know. Well, Tickaani seems friendly enough, despite what Lepis suspects might be a less-than-favorable opinion of kingdoms. Or perhaps of Lepis herself; it’s not as though the pegasus has lived an especially quiet life. She is friendly toward Lomasi, at least, and despite how soft-spoken Noah is, Lepis knows that the little mare prefers her home a peaceable place.

“Just one dragon,” she adds with a faint smile, as though the reminder of her wayward uncle is not a difficult one. He has things to answer for, she knows, the least of which is an ill-temper. There is time for that later, the pegasus reminds herself. “Or at least, just one temperamental one.” She speaks one final amendment to the statement, still smiling as though at the thought of the mythical creatures.

“Loess is also a marvelous place, with red rocks and canyons, and every type of greenery you can imagine.” It is the most beautiful place, she does not add, aware of her bias toward the place. It is her birthplace, after all, and the only place she has ever truly felt at home. “Busier than the Pampas too, with opportunities to advance both in diplomacy and defense. Does that sound like something that might interest you, Lomasi? If so, I would be happy to have you join us.”

@[Lomasi]
    @[Tickaani]

n | l
    Lomasi had the feeling the blue roan mare had chosen to perceive her as easy to read based on her statement to Lepis, good that is what she wanted. The strawberry roan mare was cautious, and smart, she was never one to reveal her true personality right away, especially in front of two horses she barely knew. Lomasi's hazel eyes shifted to Mikael once again as she watched the colt use his mothers tail to cure his lack of interest in the mares conversation.

Her attention was brought back to Tickaani as she spoke of her herd and her home Pampas. It truly sounded beautiful, Lomasi could only begin to imagine how pretty it must be in the spring time. She saw the gleam in the blue mare's eyes, a gleam of pure mischief when she talked about the dragon. The Strawberry roan mare could not help but enjoy the company of Tickaani, it was easy to see where her colt had gotten his personality from.

Lomasi turned to listen to Lepis as the pegasus commented fondly of Pampas. The red mare's ears pricked interest at the mythical creatures, Lomasi was always very curious about about them and hybrids. Her curiosity was slowly getting the better of her wanting to see the mythical creatures and the different types of hybrids as well as wanting to ask soo many different questions.

The strawberry roan had a tough decision to make, she had listen carefully to each mare as they spoke of their homes as well as watched them as they interacted with her and each other. Pampas sounded like a dream, but what was the deciding factor for Lomasi which rang all to true with her on a personal level, was the opportunities in diplomacy and defense Loess had to offer.

With her decision made, Lomasi turned to Lepis "It interests me very much, I would be honored to join you." she said with a warm smile. The red mare turned to Tickaani and Mikael "Thank you for your offer, I greatly appreciate it . Your home sounds stunning and it was a treat being able to meet you and your son, but I feel that I am being called to Loess."
    Her tail flipped back and forth, while the red-blue-brown colt batted at it with one long legged hoof. Like a kitten after a dangling string. Silly boy. She smiled, and listened as the conversation continued. Lepis did seem to know what she was doing, and Tick wasn't so full of herself that she couldn't appreciate a master art work. 

Yes, when red Lomasi spoke again, it was no surprise the words that came out. Oh well. Her slow pace of life was not for everyone, the gentle rhythm of home and family. If others wished for more excitement, well, that was fine as well. She shrugged, unbothered. 

"No problem. As we mentioned, the Pampas belong to Loess. I expect your visit in the future." She declared with a stately nod. "If nothing else, it's good for the boy to meet horses he's unrelated to. This was not a trip wasted." The colt in question dashed between the huddled trio of mares, a sign Tick took to mean that his attention span was wearing out. 

"Mom mom mom mom mom-" he chanted, orbiting his dam tirelessly. With a sigh of resignation, she shook her head. "Yes, Mikael, I know you're bored." She murmured to her bounding child before turning back to the new Loessian and her queen. Her lips turned up in a cheeky smile. "I know enough to quit while I'm ahead, and Mikael here is going to drive every single one of us to distraction soon. We'll be taking our leave." She paused, looking at the red mare thoughtfully. "Good luck, Lomasi. I do hope you find what you're looking for. And Lepis? Don't break the girl." She warned. That was what kingdoms did, wasn't it? Used you up and spit out the hard leftovers. She hoped Lomasi would have a kinder fate under the blue queen. 

@[Lepis] @[Lomasi]