• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  blood in the water; halcyon/any

give my all just to watch you fall

She thinks, not for the first time, that there are worse ways to spend a day.

It had been completely unexpected, this foray into an unknown land.  Or rather, spending more than a couple of hours on the island is what is truly surprising. Perhaps she thought about prowling around and sticking her nose where it didn’t belong, sneaking up on and scaring the islander-children, creating minor mayhem in an otherwise sleepy territory – but she is never one to make plans.  Plans are concrete, permanent promises – or they are supposed to be – and she believed in the freedom of spontaneity.

But being lost in paradise is not so terrible.  Being lost in paradise with an engaging, fellow predator is even less so. 

They focus on the task at paw as much as they can between bouts of vulnerability.  Titanya is less enthused about this part, the sharing, but she tries.  Halcyon gives the reasoning behind his stint in another land.  He elaborates further and says that his brother had been stolen, forcing them to remain in a place that was not home.  The tigress turns her head sharply at this, the black lines of her feline lips dipping into a frown.  “I’m sorry,” she says, shaking her head.  She remembers the first separation with her own brother, her twin, as time gently pulled them apart like a spiderweb spun in the night and then saturated and breaking under morning dew.  She remembers, too, their second and last separation.  The pain of that one had been piercing and raw in its finality.  The blade of the reaper’s scythe had carved out a part of her heart that she is sure will never be made whole.  “That must have been hard,” she says, and means it with everything she has.

The sound of the shallow water lapping softly on the dark shores fills the next several breaths.  She lets him decide what comes next or what is said next; if he wants to share the burden of the rest of that story, she will remain as only a silent hunter beside him. There are some that benefit from speaking, even she knows, while others find their therapy in the ripping and tearing of their prey.

When it becomes her turn to share again, the truth flows from her like a sieve.  She doesn’t mean to shock him with her honesty.  In fact, she’s shocked herself more with how easily her admittance comes.  But it’s there in the lines of his youthful face.  She blinks yellow eyes back at his green, the smallest of quirks lifting one corner of her mouth.  Well, it’s not exactly terrifying the local kids, but it’s close enough. 

“Oh, it’s possible.  The list of things that are impossible in Beqanna are greatly outnumbered, I’m afraid.  She feels a fish bump against her side.  “In this lifetime?”  Her head tilts as she considers it.  Time has seemed to progress differently ever since she burned alive, died, and came back.  Everything feels slower, steadier, more meaningful.  “Three now, I think?  Young and free and reckless again.” The fish arcs in the air between them, having been hooked by Halcyon’s claws, its’ scales glittering in the filtered light. The tigress snaps her jaws closed around it, feeling the wriggling sensation of success in her mouth. 

“Hey, thamksss,” she says around the fish, nodding at the colt-tiger.  She pulls her water-logged body out of the pond at the shore, drops the catch from her mouth, and calls for Halcyon.  “We can share this one as long as I get the head?

Titanya

Photo by Keyur Nandaniya

@[Halcyon]: if you want to start a new thread I am down or if you want to end this here, I know it's a very old thread now!  lol