• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Help! I need somebody - Plant Ladies
    THE SUN IS UP, THE SKY IS BLUE

The little green girl was as fiercely independent as ever, but she was not too proud to admit that she needed help.  The girl hadn’t had any parental guidance growing up, nor did she have anyone who could step into a mentorship position. She found that she needed help, but had no one to turn to.

But Fern wasn’t one to be defeatist. Instead, she decided to seek out the best and most powerful mentors - someone who could help her hone and control her abilities. She’d heard of the plant magician in Tephra.  If rumors were to be believed, potentially there were two plant magicians in Tephra but she knew better than to get her hopes up. 

Still, the idea of a kingdom was intriguing to her. Fern’s friends had come from a kingdom - that’s where they returned to after a day of fun in the playground. But Fern had no one place where she had to return. She could make anyplace and everyplace her home. And that had suited her fine.  Until now.  Because deep down, the little green girl was lonely.  Her earth-mother was always present and for that she’d always be thankful but she was beginning to think that perhaps that wasn’t enough for her anymore. Perhaps it was all just a childish whim after all. 

Her appearance seemed to reflect her turbulent mental state. Her mane and tail were tangled, with a smattering of leaves twisted into the strands. Her coat was dirt-smudged and unkempt looking. She looked every part the wild child that she was, and appeared at Tephra’s border in this condition with no shame. However, she was unsure what the etiquette was when it came to visiting those who lived in kingdoms.  She thought about calling out, but felt foolish since she wasn’t entirely sure who she was calling out for.  So instead, she dropped her gaze down to the earth - sending her magic into the ground below and focusing her anger and confusion into the earth, producing a thorny bush with a single yellow rose as a result, pouting all the while.

F E R N
    image credit

@[Isilya]
    @[leliana] just in case leli wanted in but zero pressure <3

Ever since Isilya discovered her first new friend lingering on the borders of Tephra, she’s made a point to wander the borders at least once a day - though sometimes she sent her flower bird friends to check for her. It wasn’t so much a “patrol” as it was just complete fascination that at any given moment, a new friend could just be standing there, waiting to be greeted.

But it wasn’t her own set of eyes nor those of her birds that alerted her to the presence of someone new at the border today - it was a feeling. The pulse of magic that Fern sent through the earth echoed into Isilya’s hooves. She had been reaching down with her magic, tending to some of the roots of a few trees feeling under the weather, when she felt it. A hum of excitement went through her and she just knew that she had to go investigate!

With an apology and a promise to return to the trees, she hurried over to where she felt the call. She could have teleported, sure, but she was still perfecting that particular trick and did not want to risk arriving too close and startling whoever this was.

And it turned out that ‘whoever this was’ was a wildling of a girl, with the most beautiful shade of green for her coat, pouting at a thorn bush with one utterly perfect yellow rose on it. In solidarity with this display, as Isilya approaches the vines on her back shift and change until they are blooming with bright yellow roses and daisies and a speckling of other small gold and yellow flowers mixed in too. “Did you make that? It’s beautiful!”

image by Reitro

@[Fern]
    Leliana

Leliana has found that retirement suits her just fine.

She worries, still, for those whom she loves. She worries for her family and the way that they have spread apart and fractured but her magic is not great enough to keep tabs on them at all times and she finds that, even when she can, she tries her best not to. It feels like an invasion of privacy to constantly shadow them with her gifts—to haunt them without their implicit agreement—and she pulls her magic back into her chest where it belongs. Resigns herself to the life of the normal mother, worried from afar.

That is not to say that she does not find ways to amuse herself, to pass the time. Her children, most of them at least, still come to visit her, and she travels to visit them when she can. When she does not look after them, she tends to the gardens that grow lush and overfull throughout Tephra, taking the soot and the ash and growing in grand designs—completely hiding the marks of fire that had once scarred them.

And she spends her days with Vulgaris, quiet and content, at least.

Today though, he is off wandering, and she turns her attention toward the gardens. She hums to herself as she walks amongst the various paths and trees, the groves that she has grown, and the flowers that bloom in impossible brilliance. It is only when she feels the same tremor run through her hooves that her hazel eyes turn to the border. She does not often interject herself into the political workings of Tephra—much like her role as a mother, she prefers to leave Isilya her freedom—but her curiosity gets the best of her.

She does not have the same qualms of teleporting as Isilya and opens up a window to the border and steps through in a flurry of leaves and petals that settle into the long roping of her flowering crimson mane. Her smile grows wide when she sees her dear friend and the young girl, dark lips curving gently. Walking forward, she comes to Isilya’s side, peering down toward the flower to give it the proper appraisal.

“How beautiful,” she breathes, her voice calm and steady.

When she looks back up, her eyes are kind.

“My name is Leliana.”

but there you go again, turning golden, right there in front of me

[Image: avatar-1975.gif]
    the heaviness in my heart belongs to gravity
    THE SUN IS UP, THE SKY IS BLUE

She looks at them in awe for a moment - eyes wide with shock and awe and admiration. She knew it was them - knew it in her bones. That and the fact that one was literally covered in flowers and the other had appeared in a swirl of leaves had been a dead giveaway.

“You’re the plant magicians,” she states rather than asks. The excitement is there but is muted by the shock of finding them so quickly.  She’d certainly believed that they were real - she wouldn’t have come all this way if she hadn’t. But seeing them was a whole experience. 

“I um…”   However now she feels foolish and something deep inside her screams at her to run - to retreat back into the arms of the familiar forest.  She isn’t sure what to say or how to say it without sounding utterly pathetic - like a petulant child.

“I can manipulate plants,” she starts, lamely, gesturing to the flower before her. Unbenounced to Fern, she can do more than manipulate plants. She’s never truly understood the earth based healing she also possessed, often crediting her health to her affinity with the earth rather than anything unusual.  But that was the least of her concerns at this moment. At this moment she was more focused on figuring out what to say to these two women. She had never possessed any sense of sophisticated social graces, having basically raised herself.  No decorum. No real mastery of manners. Fern was just...Fern. The eternal ragamuffin. But she pressed on, determined.

“Well, sort of. I have trouble controlling it. Sometimes things just happen and sometimes nothing does,” she’s a little embarrassed to admit this to her would-be mentors, but Fern’s desire to learn allows her to transcend her own shame. 

“I don’t have anyone... so when I heard that there were plant magicians here I, um -” she pauses again, doing her best to find the right words. She doesn’t make this admission to garner pity - she didn’t mind being alone. She was never alone with the world so alive all around her.

“I felt like maybe…you could help me?” she asks, hopefully, while fully understanding that both of these women likely have better things to do.  The green filly shrugs her painted shoulders, hoping she hadn’t wasted everyone’s time by coming here.

“I just want to learn,” she admits, quietly, averting her gaze from the two women.

F E R N
    image credit

@[Isilya]
    @[leliana]

When Leliana appears by her side, Isilya spares a moment to turn to the other magician - warmth and adoration in her gaze. Fellow gardener, and one of her first friends. Although Isilya was older, she felt younger in the presence of the beautiful former queen - Leliana had done things with her magic that Isilya had not even dreamed were possible. The vine-dressed mare mostly just used hers to heal injured or sick plants or become a plant for a while, just to see what it felt like.

And for a while, maybe she meant a decade or so? It was hard to keep track of the years.

Her attention turns back to the young green girl and Isilya waits patiently as she explains why she was there. Gold and green eyes light up with a dazzling smile at the prospect of being able to help someone else. She’s afraid she had not been much help with Leliana when she had first gotten her magic - but between the two of them surely they would be able to be mentors?

“Of course!” She exclaims, practically bubbling over with excitement but she manages to contain it, just dancing a little in place. “A little bit of practice and some guidance will go a long way, but you’re already quite talented.” Isilya gestures to the beautiful yellow rose, the new shrub which she was already determined would mark the border of Tephra for years and years to come.

“I’m Isilya, but you can call me Isi. What’s your name?”

image by Reitro

@[leliana]