• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

lost to the hunt as I was to you; pyxis
    He is alarmed to return to Tephra and find that not all was as he’d left it. The faint smell of burning yet hangs in the air. As dread worms its way through him, the maned wolf at his side lifts her scarred maw and scents the wind, hackles raised. Together, they quicken their pace across an expanse of scorched earth. The dread builds until his chest practically hammers with it, loud and insistent – an accusation.

(You left them here. You left them alone.)

When they finally reach her, he feels the tightness against his ribs slackening. “Pyxis,” he breathes with relief as he presses into her, his jaw moving furtively across her mahogany skin as though checking for injury. Curiously, the red wolf holds back, long ears trained carefully upon the antlered mare. Once Daemron is reassured of his wife’s condition, the dread rears its ugly head again as he glances about the half-healed landscape and realizes they are alone.

His voice comes out in a low growl. “What the hell happened?” He turns the hard steel of his eyes on her then, their faint grey light casting shadows across her features. “Where are the kids?” The words fall more harshly than he intends. Worry chews at his gut, eating away at him – along with something else (something darker still). Though he tries to swallow it down, the muscles of his jaw working visibly against it, he finds himself drawing back from her.

(You left.)
    daemron
    lost to the hunt as I was to you

@[pyxis] um so I couldn't help myself :|

she'll lie and steal and cheat and beg you from her knees
    make you thinks she means it this time

So much of what she has feared has come true.

She can feel it bubbling under the surface; she can feel the way that everything she had always been worried about happening is happening all around her. Brigade is gone to Loess. Wonder is increasingly absent. The land that he had reassured her was a home had fallen victim to dragon fire and another assortment of magic and she had been alone. He hadn’t been there. She had done her best to find their children; to make sure that they were safe. She had done her best but she doesn’t known if it was enough.

Where was Brigade?

Where was Wonder?

Where was May?

Where was Phesque?

Where was Daemron?

It is a gnawing pain that she can’t ignore. It is a growing sense of uneasiness and fear that she redirects into fury. So when he finally comes, Red trailing behind him, she feels everything break within her. For a second—just a second—she lets herself fall into his embrace. She feels that knot in her stomach both dissolve and then reform as she studies his handsome face, as she feels his breath against her.

But as soon as he begins questioning, she snaps.

“What the hell looks like it happened?” Her voice is sharp, her blue eyes steely as she takes a step back from him. “Loess attacked Tephra and you weren’t here.” She shows her teeth as she fights against the instincts that war within her. The one that pounds fists against her chest and tells her to just forgive him; to fall into him and let them work it out together. But the other one (the fear) is louder.

And she can’t control it.

Not anymore.

“You left me here,” she hisses. “You left us here.” She wants to tell him about how often she has cried since the war struck. The worry that has made her nearly sick with it. The questions that have continued to hang unanswered over her—where is our children, where is Daemron, are they safe, are they safe.

“I thought you were dead,” she admits and then the guards come up. She feels it as nearly a physical thing that cuts through the panic. Her eyes go from wild with emotion to still, dead. Her mouth goes quiet and she stills. When she looks up again, her expression is cold and the walls are fully erected.

“I should have known better than to trust you.”

she'll tear a hole in you, the one you can't repair
    but I still love her, I don't really care

@[Daemron] oh the drama.