• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Holding you close feels like a cut throat // Kagerus
    Where do you go when the world is crashing around you, and home isn't a place you've found? I just flew, for a while. It had been so long since I touched the sky, and for a while that was enough. Thin air, cold air. I was lightheaded and filled with crackling, unspent energy. A lightning bolt in potentia. I flew until I couldn't anymore, thunder echoing in my wake. Didn't care where I landed, just as long as it wasn't where I'd been. 

When my hooves clattered against the earth again, it wasn't with any joy. Just the inevitable solid weight against my joints, and the heavier realization that I couldn't keep running. Running wouldn't save me from myself or my mistakes. It certainly wouldn't save others from them. So when the moon met the sea, and I was almost out of land, I dropped from the skies like a moonbeam made solid. 

Looking around, I realized that I truly didn't know where I was. The scope of Beqanna was a vast one, and I didn't expect that I knew every corner of it. I had to admit, though, that this was a prettier corner than I'd expected to fall into. It was as though starlight had bled into the water, painting every stone and grain of sand with silver and shadow. 

It was lovely enough to distract me from my own distress. The soft light did beautiful things to my cloak, bleaching me from pale blue to lunar white, and drew fractured rainbows across the hollows of my body. How long had it been since I'd thought myself beautiful? Far too long, but in this light, I felt it deep to my bones. Scars turned to tongues of electricity that flowed across my face and shoulders, a tingling fractal web. My pain could be beautiful. Standing on the gritty shore alone, I felt a knot in my chest begin to loosen. 

@[Kagerus]
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

The light of the moon lays claim to my land tonight, generous with her silverline kisses, strewn as they are across every stone, every pebble of the Cove. Alone, I watch as the light shifts across the land, not keeping track of the minutes as they turn to hours around me, not waiting for me to catch up. I could dream myself to wherever I needed to be in a heartbeat; but for tonight, I find myself exactly as I should be.

The light reflects liquidly against my leopard print markings, and against the obsidian glimmer of my enchanted hooves. Despite the luminescence of the moon, the lids of my eyes begin to gently droop, coaxed to sleep by the lullaby of far away waves. Dimly I connect my consciousness to Solace's, intertwining my fingers with hers from across the kingdom; but before her arm gently pulls me into her embrace like cascading water, an urgent, loud presence enters my mind. Distracted, I carefully disentangle myself from my wife, promising to visit her later tonight.

In another breath, I materialize next to Sabra - not close enough to frighten her, but not far enough for my appearance to be mistaken for anything other than teleportation.

Silent, my dancer's legs bring my closer to the magnificence that is the fallen queen; where scars usually sit, the moon paints a different picture: one of many facets, a diamond brought to life. My eyes go admiringly to her many angles, to the way she almost glows, here in my Cove. She is different now, than when she was when I bid her come back to life instead of giving into the callings of death; but I fail to place whether the difference is in her favour, or against it.

"Good evening, Sabra," I murmur once alongside the woman. From this close, I can see the sweat pooling against her alabaster skin, casting a faint blue hue along the wettest parts of her. "A long flight tonight?" I glance upward, feel the hairs lining my spine stand on edge. "A storm is coming. Probably the last good air time you'll have for a while." Of her presence her, I ask nothing; dimly, I think of Solace, and feel a knot in my chest begin to form.

@[Sabra]
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    When I first lay my eyes on a resident of this land, it is not Kagerus I expected to see. Still, it is undeniably the bone crowned queen who appears before me on the mercurial shore that night so soon after i myself arrived. She is more shadow than light, and I have seen too much to be surprised when she approaches me out of seeming thin air. 

"Good evening, Kagerus. Not long enough, but my wings... well. I need to build my endurance again." My face tilts upward, feeling the breeze dry the sweat on my skin, cooling the fire burning in my overtaxed muscles. It's a delicious kind of exhaustion, the kind of strain my body had missed in the time I'd been grounded. I'd be dreadfully sore tomorrow, but right now it didn't matter a bit. I'd touched the sky, and come down again without breaking. After the debacle that was the island, it was a much needed victory. 

Following her gaze to the clouds building overhead, I nodded agreeably at her assessment. "Yes, I flew ahead of it on my way here. I doubt it'll keep me out of the sky, though. The pressure changes are exhilarating." I smiled faintly, remembering the almost painful way the air shifted around when the clouds crashed into each other. The thunder that tried to deafen me. Adrenaline still sang in my veins from the experience. 

The grin widened as a barely remembered thought fluttered to the front of my mind. I'd promised myself something, when she'd dragged me out from inside myself. Glancing at the length of her through the fiery curtain of my forelock, I hummed a note before a soft laugh floated off my lips. 

"You know, I hurt very badly when you woke me up. I swore I'd kick your ass the next time I saw you, for making me feel that much pain." My eyes lingered on the piece of anatomy in question, but made no move to act on my words. There was no aggression in my body, no tightness at all. 

One wing stretched out, the right one. The one I'd almost lost. Healed beyond what I'd once thought was possible. Physically, I was as well as I'd ever been. Things on the inside were still in turmoil, and I wasn't sure how to heal that. Still, I was the one who could brazen her way through anything, wasn't I? 

@[Kagerus]
    Kagerus

The passion of victory shimmers unabashedly in the crystalline depths of my friend's blue eyes. I wonder privately as to what overcoming the consequences of the contagion must feel like, trying to imagine the sickness and the downfall, followed by the healing and the recovery. I can relate in some ways, having recovered from a suicide attempt long ago, but the two fail to be exactly parallel in nature. By both choice and by great luck, my wife and I have managed to avoid the sickness which so plagues Beqanna. In the end, this fact gladdens me, despite how Sabra's victorious air so thrills me.

Thrilling things oughtn't come at the near expense of one's life.

"Exhilarating, and deadly," I comment blandly, shifting my weight and casting my gaze away from the mare opposite me. A secret smile touches my lips with the words. Of its origin I offer no explanation, however, choosing instead to wait for Sabra's next words. A little hum precedes them, sounding at once like a gentle wind and the rumble of thunder.

I swore I'd kick your ass the next time I saw you, for making me feel that much pain.

A curt laugh cuts through the air around us, bringing with it a turn of my head. Immediately noting her blatant admiration of my rear end, my ears press close to my skull, hips swiveling decidedly such that the only part of me that she may gaze at is my front, complete with pronged antlers and all. The threat of my positioning dissipates easily with a roll of my nutmeg eyes, however, with my ears flicking forward as though nothing had happened.

"Well, I am always up for a good tiff - if that's really what you're here for then I am happy to oblige you." My eyes go briefly to the sky, which rumbles now in ominous warning. "But if you'd rather just appreciate the scenery," I say nonchalantly, eyes falling back to hers with a cocked brow, "I shall have to leave you to it, my friend. My wife awaits me; the hour is late."

@[Sabra] so this is not me closing the thread, just kagerus being an ass and Faithful As Fuck lmao - they also don't have to battle!! Anything is great <3  <3 <3
    dreamweaver
    I nod at her assessment of my venture, fully aware that my flight rides the edge of bravery and pure idiocy. I know it's stupid to tempt fate, yet I find myself doing it time and again. It's not as if fate is afraid of pushing back, my body a tapestry of evidence in that regard. It's hardly a conscious decision. I just... find myself, a mile over the ocean and wondering how it would feel to fold my wings and fall. Or staring a predator in the face and daring them to do their worst. Dear gods...

How did I get so fucked up? 

To the point where I get a little thrill at her turning on me, watching her rile like a poked viper when she takes the subtlety from my words. Even in her warlike state, the bay queen is beautiful. She could be some arcane goddess of destruction, illuminated as she is by the hazy moon. I watch her mildly as she spins and flares, only to subside before me with a skyward flick of her eyes. It's a curious reaction, but I can't say I hadn't been expected it in a way. There had never been anything but adoration when Kagerus spoke of her wife. Tonight was no different. 

"I may take you up on that, later. But no, tonight... I could really just use a place to rest." I wilted as the aftermath of the night's activity began to sink into my bones. The adrenaline, the lightning surging through my nerves. It's gone. Nothing left but an empty shell, a spent brass. Smoke in the wind. 

My eyes dipped shut at the approaching thunder. It wouldn't be long before the fat spotlight in the sky became obscured, blanketing the beach in a cold darkness. She's ready to leave, it seems, and truly I've got no reason to keep her here. 

"Yes, yes, of course." I murmur with a sad little smile. "Solace is a lucky mare, to be loved so completely. Impossible to replace. I won't keep you from her any longer." My teeth glinted in the fading light. It would be difficult to tell if I was smiling or bearing my teeth, but it didn't seem to matter. I'd be alone tonight, one way or another. 

@[Kagerus]
    Kagerus

There is a part of me that wonders upon how it is that others view me, thoughts straying to places that they probably shouldn't. They never stray far though, always coming under command of more controlled thoughts; though it is titillating to imagine that other people might see me in that way, I have no interest in pursuing or encouraging such lines of thought. That being said, I am not against being friends; but, as a bisexual monarch in this country, that whole area can be rather gray.

It is clear by the way that the opalescent goddess before me deflates that I have made things very black and white. My stomach twinges, an invisible finger prodding it with guilt; but I ignore the sensation, swallowing back any reservation I had about my own actions as a kind smile slowly unfurls across the length of my lips. Still, that is not to say that I don't have empathy for the exhausted and lonely mare. Stepping towards her, I briefly press my muzzle to her shoulder, a gesture of friendship and support.

I step back, speaking as I do so. "You are always welcome within this land, Sabra. Whether you need a home-away-from-home, or a home - it is not my place to judge or to dictate that. Only to extend the Cove's offer of refuge in your times of need, whenever those may be." I am ready to leave the conversation at that, seeing as how the mare appears so exhausted; but then her voice comes again, and the words attached to her melancholy tone give pause to my exit.

Solace is a lucky mare, to be loved so completely. Impossible to replace. I won't keep you from her any longer.

No,
    I think to myself. It is I who found luck in being hers.

Inhaling, my eyes drop demurely to the earth, a sign of respect of Sabra's great emotional burden as her lips split in what can't quite be labelled a smile. I wish terribly in this moment that I could be what Sabra needs; not because of any sexual or romantic reason, but because I am an empath, a trait descendant from my grandmother. I can feel the way she feels simply by being in her presence, though not to the degree of true empaths; but still, the caring, soft parts of me wish I could make her hurting stop.

"I hope you will stay, Sabra," I murmur, lifting my eyes once more. Their nutmeg depths glint sincerely, matching the husk of my midnight voice. "Stay, and heal." Shuddering as a gust of wind blasts into us, I dip my head, and take my leave.

"Get somewhere safe, before the storm comes; I'm sure I will see you around. Goodnight, sister."

dreamweaver