• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the cavalier is burning through my heart; tiphon, any

desire consumes me like a fire consumes me

This would not be the first time that Magnus has run across Tiphon.

Although their stories have only overlapped in the smallest of ways, usually in diplomatic ventures or in the field while recruiting for their respective homes, he knows enough of the angelic stallion to trust his intentions and to respect whatever he is doing within his island home. So it is a smile that he wears when he hears that Tiphon has taken the helm of the bordering land, and he looks forward to the visit, a feeling much unlike the trepidation he wears when he needs to make the journey to the more unknown Ivar.

It is in the aftermath of the holiday party when he returns to the island. This time, without the bridge to make the trip so easy and without the enigmatic Isle by his side (the memory of their time together during the party brings the barest hint of a smile to his lips). Still, he doesn’t hesitate to slip into the water, his scarred legs churning against the ocean’s tides as he carries himself through the waves to the island.

When he arrives, he is breathing heavily and evenly, but he is not exhausted. Rather, he is exhilarated by the journey, by the salt on his coat and the sea breeze that cools him. He leans his head back, tipping it up and grinning as the smell of brine sticks to the inside of his nostrils and the clear air coats his throat. It is so different from his volcanic home, but he appreciates it all the same, can understand why others would.

He lets loose a low, throaty call as he stands on the beach, the waves washing up around his ankles.

He could move in further, but he is of an old school way of thinking, where borders mattered and manners meant minding them. So he waits and watches, content to stand and enjoy the scenery.

good shouldn’t need to tempt us above

@[Tiphon] - just a quick thread to discuss the changes IC. <3
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

The island, though established enough to survive, remains rather disheveled. Tiphon has been determined as the leader, a rank that he did not hunger for but simply fell into the role of being. But what, exactly, is he the representative for? Very few straggled into his island address. He wanted to know, to learn, what it is they wanted while they lived here, but no one stepped forward. Leliana and Cress, they did actually. They voiced their support, but all others pursed their lips silently as Tiphon tried to determine whether structure was necessary at this time or not. No responses.

So is he actually a leader? And, if so, what is he the leader of?

Although unable to quite grasp an answer, Tiphon didn’t allow it to hinder the bright spirits of the season as his island hosted a gathering for all. Voices mingled with the salty air and livened up his home more than it already was. It jumpstarted his heart and sense of hope, but as the raucous settles, so does his own jubilance. As of late, Tiphon has questioned himself and his capabilities. Sombering thoughts increase into obstacles as he thoughtfully stares across the sea. He blinks slowly as he draws in a heavy breath, planning and trying to expect what may come.

But oddly enough, he is at a loss.

Much to his relief, however, the throaty call carried on the breeze withdraws Tiphon from the shadow of his thoughts. With an easy shake of his head, his molten forelock sliding like silk across his face, he pivots in the sand and moves habitually toward the call until he is facing another male, his body drenched from his swim. ”I wish I had a way of drying you off faster,” a radiant smile smears easily enough across his mouth, his eyes bright as they level on the nutmeg of the visitor. ”Welcome to the Island Resort.” There’s an easiness in Magnus’ posture, a comfort, that would belong to someone visiting a friend. Admittedly, Tiphon is almost afraid to introduce himself in fear of another memory found to be lost during his hiatus in the void. Reluctant, but curious, he shuffles his wings to allow a pause before simply asking, ”What can I help you with?”

Tiphon

@[Magnus]

although this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
    we were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

Tiphon and Magnus knew of each other, but they certainly were not the closest of companions. So if Magnus is surprised by the other’s casual but not overly friendly greeting, it doesn’t show in his eyes. Instead, he simply glances around them, taking in the island and the stallion before him. “It’s a beautiful home, Tiphon,” he says the other’s name easily, plucking it from his memories—not thinking how lucky he is to be able to access them. After all, when do you truly stop to appreciate such a thing?

He laughs a little, low and throaty. “I don’t mind the chill of the swim. It’s pleasant.”

Although he loved the dense air and humid heat of his home, it was nice to experience a change.

Stepping forward, comfortable and casual, he addresses the other. “I am the current leader of Tephra.” It feels strange to say King and the royal title has never been one that truly interested him. “With all of the change hitting Beqanna, I wanted to introduce myself to our neighbors. To see who calls our bordering lands home and ensure the relationship between our two lands can remain friendly.”

Magnus has never truly enjoyed politics—he is too eager to pick up the sword, hungers too much for the alternate route of solving disputes—but he has also long learned the necessity of them. In a world that can often balance upon the edge of a pin, it is useful to find a way to use words bridge the gap. It had not been his first nature to learn such a thing, but after years of it, he’s learned the skill of diplomacy, if not the art.

“I am glad to know that its you who shepherding this place.”

It was certainly an easier conversation to have than the one with the kelpies overrunning Ischia.

magnus

@[Tiphon]

A breeze tousles the silk-like locks along Tiphon’s face as he observes Magnus with hushed curiosity. The leader of Tephra, as he has provided, knows his name. Has it somehow floated already from his island to the mainland? A rattling sense of uncertainty plagues him, worries him. In an idle attempt to conceal his concern, Tiphon glances away to stare adoringly at the throng of palm trees as they sway with the tropical gale. ”I seem to prefer islands,” he jests with a good-humored smile, referring to Wallace’s accusation that he helped bring life to the island of Ischia initially. The Dale, a place quite a few others have associated him with however, was likely embedded in the mainland. Perhaps it’s the lull of the ocean tide that has twice drawn Tiphon. Maybe it’s the isolation.

”A congratulations is in order then,” his head inclines when he smiles sincerely, ”leader of Tephra.” Tiphon can relate, as the title of being a leader tastes peculiar on his tongue. In reality, he should be accustomed to it as it isn’t his first time, but with his mind so eerily void of memories…

It’s with relief, however, that Magnus admits his comfort in the Island being in Tiphon’s grasp. Obviously, with his experience in the Dale and Ischia, he established a respectable reputation. ”Thank you,” he responds pleasantly with a dip of his head. ”From what I’ve gathered, Beqanna is separated into sections. I’m not out to make this a kingdom, so will Tephra then establish itself as apex of our region?” The Island is content as a refuge and as a quiet place to settle and heal. It would, ideally, be in Tiphon’s best interest to establish some sort of structure to the herd, but the uncertainties are heavier. He debates his hold on the land, as well as his sway on those who currently live here.

For all he knows, everyone will leave the Island once the plague subsides, leaving him a leader of no one and nothing.

Tiphon

@[Magnus]

although this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
    we were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

There is something off about Tiphon that Magnus can’t quite put his finger on. There’s an edge of something almost alien in the interaction, something not connecting, and it creates an itch between his shoulder blades, a nagging sensation that he can’t scratch. He does his best to dismiss his concerns, reminding himself that there was nothing wrong with what the other is saying, but it remains.

“It would seem that way,” he responds easily, humor touching the corners of his war-scarred mouth. “Perhaps in the Beqanna of old you would have found a similar island.” He had known that Tiphon had mostly resided in the Dale and although Magnus’ time in that kingdom had come before the angelic stallion had risen, he still remembers when Tiphon had extended an invitation to him in his time of need.

It was a kindness that he was not going to forget anytime soon.

At the congratulations something like a frown crosses like a shadow across Magnus’ features, but it is chased by an easy smile, disappearing from his features as quickly as it had shown. It had been a long time since someone had congratulated him on a leadership position; it felt strange to accept it now, even though he appreciates the sentiment. “Thank you. It feels right to be at the helm again,” he offers, his heart swelling slightly at the thought of Tephra. At one point, he never thought he would be able to love a kingdom as much as he had loved the jungle, the Gates. Now, he can’t imagine life without Tephra.

When the conversation shifts, he follows suit, comfortable with the topic.

“Tephra is established and remains active. I would like to see her maintain that,” he says bluntly, not shying from it. “I am open to discussions, of course,” he says, not looking to bully his way into anything, “but I would like to be honest about my intentions.” He settles into a more comfortable position, tail flicking at the edges of his haunches. “I would like to see a more alliance between Tephra and the Island. We can offer you the protection of our kingdom should you ever need it, and I would leave you to run your land as you see fit. I have no desire to dictate or extend any influence I have into your home.”

Magnus may be ambitious and hungry and driven, but he has no gnawing desire to run the world.

It is enough to establish his home and then protect it.

It is enough.

magnus

@[Tiphon]