• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

(open) Legend has said...
    It has been told that a palomino filly goes around watching over herds, but no one has been able to see her in person. This mysterious filly is named Umani. 

Umani is currently standing on the top of a hill, far away from where all the herds graze. The wind is blowing through her long, flaxen mane and tail. She takes a deep breath as the wind swirls around her coat. She stomps her front right hoof as the flies bite carelessly.
    With little else left to do, she’d resorted to tread once more the long journey into the Field.  Like a dagger to the heart she could vividly recall the last time she’d ventured this same path, bringing her upon the small gathering of Arthas and Roseen.  Most notably  Leilan had been there as well; his presence alone had seemed to escalate an innocent encounter into levels of the unknown.   He’d tracked her down that day, after she had made her hasty departure, and had made it clear that he no longer wanted anything to do with her.  It had left a bitter taste on her tongue, but she would respect his wishes all the same.  It was the least she could do for him.

But today her limbs carry her back to the vastness of the Field, eyes continuously scanning for possible recruits.  With certain arrangements in place, she could not offer Nerine first for the time being.  This truce had not settled entirely well with Breckin, she’d not completely understood the implications of holding a captive for the sake of Tephra’s benefit.  However it was not her job to argue Bones’s treaties, and with that evening spent with Wolfbane still  fresh in her mind, there was little she could do to object to such an agreement.  She respected them both as leaders, so she’d do her damned best to uphold their agreements.

A pretty flash of blonde draws her gaze to fixate upon the crest of a hill, momentarily pausing as the sun reflects brightly off the woman standing there.  With a set mind, she quickly approaches, pulling to halt a few paces away from the palomino mare.  ”Hello friend,” she offers kindly, ”What brings you to Beqanna’s Field?”

Ooc: meh. I’m tired and this is rushed. I just hope it makes sense XD

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

The truth of it is, summer is the best time for Ilma to fly, and thus, to recruit. She can never know if she needs to walk back to Hyaline, but, at least the flight is easy. And so she finds herself in the field on this sunny day, bright with her white coat and sunlight wings.

There’s another in the field, with the colour of the sun. A young mare, with a colour she can appreciate. But before she has made her way over, she is approached by another.

She knows Breckin from sight - a very unique pattern, she doesn’t seem to know she stands out, but Ilma has known her long enough now to know it befits her character to not realize. Much like her own radiant white that she doesn’t want to use for attraction, perhaps. And so, Ilma smiles as she makes her way over.

”Good morning, both of you. How are you, Breckin?” she opens with a more simple conversation, she hopes at least. She turns to the golden filly, her signature warm smile already on her features. ”I am Ilma, from Hyaline - neighbour to Breckin. Pleased to meet you.”

and shooting stars cannot fix the world

@[Vic] @[Breckin]
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    Umani hears the beating of the hooves behind her. She turns her head and snorts, seeing Breckin and Ilma. "Hi there," she says cautiously. "What are you doing here?" She asks as her flaxen tail swishes from side to side. She's curious as to how they could see her, knowing the tale that's been told for years.
    With her gaze firmly upon the palomino girl, she vaguely registered the sudden brightness moving in her periphery.  It's enough of a strange sensation to cause her to turn attention towards it directly, slightly taken aback that the mare that was approaching was one she could easily recognize.  Albeit, she appeared a bit different than the last time she'd seen Ilma, even though that last time Breckin herself had not been entirely coherent, she thinks she still was have remembered the obvious glow the white mare now had.  When the pegasus tread closer, the leopard mare could see her friend wasn't entirely ethereal, it was her wings alone that bared the light.

"Ilma, you look so lovely!  Those wings fit you so well," she declares with a friendly outstretched muzzle.  But the brightness in her eyes slightly dim when she is asked how she is faring, to which she replies, "I'm well enough, thank you for asking.  How are you?"

When the girl that had drawn both of them there issues a question, Breckin shifts her attention back towards the crest of the hill where she stood.  "Well I cannot speak on Ilma's behalf, but I came to seek out those interested in joining a Kingdom.  Where we're at now is called the Field, and it is the place where those searching for a home wait to be approached.  Where Ilma is from Hyaline, I am a diplomat from the Kingdom Nerine."  Her dotted head dips slightly in curiosity with the grace of a small smile, "Do you have a name, friend?"

@[Ilma] @[Vic]
    "My name?" The filly asks. "Ah, it is Umani," The palomino bowed to the Pegasus. She was told when she was young to always bow at the mystical creatures. "And where are these places?" She asks Breckin. She backs up a bit and looks over the valley and sighs softly. "I've always been alone. I guess it's what I'm used to." The mare swishes her tail again and flicks her ears sideways, listening to all the sounds around her.

Ilma

Breckin takes a little longer to recognize her - oh right, the last time she'd seen her spotted friend and fellow diplomat, was the night before. But that was all a haze at best, and for all she knew the bad apples had caused the change. Not something she wanted to admit to anyone, and, Breckin seemingly unharmed, she wasn't sure what's what.

None of these thoughts really mattered, as she returned her friend's greeting but, narrowed her gaze at the "well enough" answer. Now, if they weren't meeting with someone new, she would have pried for the source of the sadness in her eyes, but right now she accepted it for what it was. "Fine. Although a certain someone has decided to go travelling to fairies-know-where." She shook her head with a mild smile, she missed him, but nothing was to be done about it until he returned home. Maybe then she could tell him.

She nods at the answer Breckin gives the young palomino. "I'm an Ambassador for my kingdom, so I also took the diplomatic path. Currently, we have a lack of kingdom members that are actively recruiting and patrolling, which is why I am here. I'm sure Breckin has the same interest." she acknowledged.

The name Umani struck a bell somewhere, she must have heard some gossip some time ago, but she rarely talked gossip to - "Ah, but you don't have to bow, please." It looked silly she would do that to her and not to Breckin, although, she'd just told them of her high title which Breckin had elected not to do, so maybe that was it. It would never occur to her that some horses considered a pegasus or a unicorn a higher being than themselves.

She chuckled. "I see you're not one to catch up on the latest gossip either. Nerine is the north-westernmost kingdom of the island Beqanna, and stands out for it's ragged, rocky coastline. To the south of that lies my own Hyaline, the mountain kingdom. Further south is Loess, they have the hills and the hot springs, and furthermore south-east lies Sylva, a dark and dreadful forest I would not wish you to go, for your own good. In between the Field here and those kingdoms I mentioned, are the forest and the river, which finds it's source in Hyaline's mountains. To the north of us are Tephra" - she nods at a distant mountain which seems to emit a grey cloud of ash, "and Ischia, the tropical islands." she explains patiently.

@[Vic] In general it would be nice to post in the order of entering the thread; that way everybody gets to post before you answer again, so all get an equal amount of replies in. Wink Right now it doesn't matter for the flow of the story though, so no harm done, just a future thing.
    @[Breckin]
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    A certain someone, Ilma had said, and Breckin's brows raise with interest.  Had it been the pair of them, she'd ask her alabaster friend to kindly elaborate.  Perhaps she could have been referring to Tahti, but the way Ilma's voice carried wistfully, she knew that was unlikely.  And vaguely she can recall a golden, glittery stallion and wonders if that could be who she was referring to.  Why did she want to refer to him as Sparkles?

With a small nod, the leopard mare confirms Ilma's words of her visiting the Field to recruit before her facial features contort in mild confusion as the palomino filly bowed to the other mare.  Did she know something Breckin didn't? Had she been greeting people wrong this entire time?

Another small shake of her head relieves the bizarre thoughts while her ears flicker attentive at Ilma's explanation of Beqanna's Kingdoms.  To which she adds, "There is also the Forest, Meadow, and River areas, for those that do not wish to commit to kingdom life or for those just wanting to commune on common ground."  Her weight shifts to a more comfortable stance, smiling warmly at the young palomino.  "You do not have to be alone here if you do not want to.  There are at least two kingdoms that would gladly have you."  She grimaces slightly at the last sentence before correcting herself, "I mean three.  I am obligated to offer an allianced kingdom before my own due to a treaty agreement.  I know that probably does not make sense to you, but I can explain further these two kingdoms of Loess and Nerine if you would like."

@[Vic] @[Ilma]
    Umani nods as she listens to the explanation of the kingdoms. "I think I might go to Nerene," she says smiling and swishing her tail. "Thank you for all your help," she says.

"If I decide to change kingdoms, can I?" She asks. "Also, I don't want to intrude on the way the kingdom runs. Any tips i should know about?"

Ilma

Ilma's gaze shifts from Breckin - she'll ask about it later maybe, she thinks it might be about time to check in on their Nerinian neighbours anyway - to Umani without so much so as a blink, although it can be seen that she is brooding over things. But the spotted mare already jumps in at the chance to explain about the lands some more, and then on the off chance, throws in Loess. Ilma's head jerks sideways to look at her friend with a raised brow, then chuckles. "Loess? Lepis must have gone lazy." she shakes her head, thinking of how frantically the Loessian Cleric had tried to keep from her finding out whom they were allied with. But Ilma guessed that if there really was no way to be sure about it, she would ask the other kingdoms herself.

Umani seems interested by the idea of going to Nerine, and Ilma nods. A better choice than Loess anyway, in her opinion. She doesn't like the way they keep switching sides at all. But maybe that's because it would be the opposite of the sanctuary, since they try to be allied to all, or at least keep neutrality up and alive. She stays silent now, giving Breckin the time to answer these questions. They're about her kingdom, after all.

@[Vic] @[Breckin]