• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Out with the golden we sew // Rodrik.
    Out with the golden we sew, and the lower past that crawls.
    Now, to the doorway you run, to the girl that's not lost.
    "I have, too," I murmur, lowering my eyes in acceptance of his apology. I was young when the change happened, but not young enough to warrant the rapid decay of my memory. A part of me pangs with the thought of the Jungle, or even the Chamber, and how perhaps those lands ought to have been my legacy - and yet I now pursue Hyaline with a tireless hunger. My eyes go out of focus, but still we stand nestled in the Jungle - a home, gone forever, but somehow retrievable in this finite illusion.

He is observant, but almost too much so - I wonder at his stillness and silence in this land that ought to inspire so many vivid memories. The voice of my father drifts in the din of the Jungle animals, its words telling a story of when he and Rodrik used to play war among the vines and the leopards. My nutmeg eyes watch for a reaction from the reformed colt, wondering if he too can hear Kavi's tenor tones.

But he is speaking then, mirroring my smile, remembering himself in perhaps a different way than I could imagine from my limited knowledge of his life. I nod somberly at his admission of the power time has over us and our bodies, my eyes dropping to remember the day I'd met with Kagerou. The day she'd placed her mark upon me forever, in the form of clouded leopard markings; I yearn wholeheartedly for her return, and though I have dreamed of her in more detail than I ever could have hoped for before, I know that she is not real.

Or, at least...

"I cannot tell at the best of times," I whisper, bringing my gaze back up to meet the intense stare he places upon me. "Sometimes when I dream of her, there's glimmers of a soul standing before me - but at other times, it's clearly a figment of my imagination. Sometimes, I don't think I have much power here at all - I'm just a host, a link." My smile turns wry at this admission, realizing as soon as I say it that it's surprisingly true.

My mouth opens to speak and --

-- Suddenly, the world around us shatters and falls with the sound of tinkling glass, leaving us standing in the dawn of morning on the cusp of the forest. My sides are drenched in sweat as my eyes flutter open to find my uncle still standing next to me; his body is youthful still, completely whole. I feel a clench in my stomach - I have to explain - I can't just leave this be.

"Uncle," I say with some urgency. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep us there longer..." A frown creases my brow, and I reach out to press my curved Arabian nose to the bright, glossy sinews of his neck muscles, which flex and beg to be used before the rotting returns. "You will be this way for some hours but... it's not permanent. I'm sorry."

"I'll stay with you this morning - I don't want to say goodbye yet. But if you should ever want to find me... I am a Queen of Hyaline, the westernmost kingdom below Nerine. There are mountains - you can't miss it." A little smile colours my expression as I reveal my status. "Third generation," I murmur thoughtfully, with a shake of my tri-coloured head.

As the sun comes up on our little glade, we talk, and I learn more of his history. Time immeasurable is ours to have - but the parting comes sooner than I'd like, far too soon - and I leave with an anxious stomach, praying to the gods that this not be the last I see of my duality-ridden uncle.
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing

@[Rodrik] COME VISIT KAG IN HYALINE? Wink <3
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver